“Would not go back”

Ranked #9 of 63 Restaurants in Epping
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A unique steakhouse experience: At Miller & Carter we know a thing or two about steak. In fact, we could say that we're one of the best steakhouses in Essex. But we'd rather leave that to your judgement. Because once you've tasted our hand-cut, 28-day aged British steaks you'll soon appreciate the care of our farmers, the exacting standards of our butchers and the passion of our chefs. Don't just take our word for it; book a table and decide for yourself. You'll find us at the heart of Epping Forest, near Theydon Bois golf club and High Beech and within easy access of the M25 J26. The best of British beef: Our premium-graded British beef is reared on carefully selected, sustainable farms. So whichever your favourite cut, we can trace every forkful back to the field. Looking foward to seeing you there Chris and the Epping Team
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Firstly I just want to say that my experience is that of a vegetarian and the meat eaters in my party seemed satisfied with their meals, though my fiance found his ribeye steak to be over done.

I am currently on a diet, but we were going out for my future mother-in-law's birthday so I had little choice in the place we would go to. Usually I would look at the menu beforehand and choice something, but other than a spring onion risotto (which I was promptly told they had run out of) there are no other vegetarian meals listed on the menu.

The restaurant itself looks very modern and nice. We were seated at a booth which was for six (there were five of us) but we weren't cramped in anyway, it was extremely spacious. The service was very slow. I think if you didn't mind being there for 2 and a half hours then fine, but the wait between courses was very long.

We looked through the menu and when I could eventually get a hold of our waitress, I asked for the vegetarian meals. She went off and asked the chef. She came back and told me there was the risotto (the one she'd already told me they were sold out of), a goats cheese tart, auberigne curry and a tagine. I asked what the tagine came with, she went and asked the chef and eventually came back to tell me plain rice. I clarified if it was boiled rice and she said yes. I can eat as much boiled plain rice as I want on my diet and sweet potato tagine's tend to be low in calories, so I went for this. For starter I asked for an undressed mixed salad.

I ordered a diet coke. Eventually after what seemed ages my salad arrived. It was nice, but then it's hard to get a salad wrong. The wait between the starters and main meal was even longer. And my fiance and his mum, who had opted for the lettuce with their steaks, received their lettuce, which led us to believe the meals wouldn't be far off, but they arrived another ten minutes later.

My meal looked very unattractive. Firstly the rice was not plain as specified, it was yellow rice with seeds in. Secondly I love sweet potato, but the massive chunks in the tagine looked under-done. I tried to cut them but they were rock hard, because of this the texture of them was very gritty. The sauce they were in tasted like a jarred curry sauce, it was extremely spicy and I couldn't really taste exactly what was in it. It was very disappointing. I didn't want to cause a scene, as it wasn't my birthday, but I have to be honest and say it is one of, if not the worst, meal I've ever had in a restaurant.

The final thing that annoyed me was that when we eventually managed to flag the waitress down and get the receipt, it was revealed that my tagine was £9.50. For what I had, this is outrageous.

The fact that there is only one vegetarian meal on the menu (and it was possible sold out) means that you don't know the prices, you don't know what comes with them, unless you ask, but then you are adding an extra fifteen minutes onto your meal to wait for an answer.

Overall I certaintly would not come to this restaurant again, but as I said the meat eaters enjoyed their steaks, so obviously this restaurant caters to this. Unfortunately they couldn't care less about the vegetarians.

1  Thank sally_laramie

Reviewed January 31, 2013

My birthday treat turned into a nightmare when all of us got degrees of sickness . My party included my pregnant daughter in law her 2 year old son and my 8 year old grandson who all had really bad sickness and stomach problems after eating the fish the rest of us where also affected...... having had the stater platter which contained fish . Investigation ongoing and enviromental health have been informed. STAY AWAY.

1  Thank towncarsales
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Really good service and meal was excellent. My son says best steak he has EVER had. Would recommend to anyone. Will definitely go back.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Our party of 8 all had degrees of food poisoning, to include stomach cramps, sickness and diarrhoea. And it cost us £200 for the privilege.

1  Thank JJ2010London
Reviewed December 31, 2012

If you like a steak then you will not be dissapointed here ,cooked exactly to your liking every time.My only critical point would be the qtr of an iceberg lettuce that comes with every steak ,would of been nicer to have a green salad cut up ,so i opt out of the iceberg wedge.We had trio of breads to start ,then bbq wings and cheese pasta,very tasty,then a ribeye and a fillet wellington, 3 beers and a spirit,came to 62 pounds ,we were too full for dessert.We have been here 5 times and every time our steaks cooked to our liking.

1  Thank lily529