“Believe what you read!”

Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Clacton-on-Sea
cornwall
“Believe what you read!”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We have stayed here 3 times now with our dog, and we absolutely love it. All the other reviews are spot on, its absolutely as good as they say it is. We love the warm welcome, the really comfortable beds with lovely high thread count linen, great bathroom, and fabulous top quality food at breakfast.
Well done all at The Chudleigh!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sandyCornwall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Beccles, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Well - Carol and Peter were excellent hosts - if Ken Dodd thinks so - that's fine by us as he has stayed and I'm sure always will be a guest. Clean and tidy with little extra touches in room i.e. water, shoe shine kit etc. etc. Breakfast super - best bacon (and I am from area of famous Blythburgh Pigs) so I know what I am talking about.

Do stay with The Chudleigh and enjoy it as much as we did.

"Hares raising our glass to you"
You will know what this is!!

Love Janet and Graham Robins and Carol and John Leech

Room Tip: If you go to Clacton for any reason and require a few nights good guest house accommodation - The Ch...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Janet R
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2014

With so many glowing reviews already banked, it would appear almost superfluous to add yet another however…

As I tend to rely upon such feedback in my own business, I feel literally duty bound to add my own penny worth to the ever growing, glowing ‘bank’ so, here is my modest take on the award winning Chudleigh B&B.

As all my reviews are deeply personal, I would kindly ask you to perhaps forgive my rather 'chatty/detail heavy' way of reviewing. I can appreciate it may appear a little over-the-top to some but, it is my way and I have at least been consistent re' my other offerings.

So, how was it I hear you ask?

Overall, very enjoyable and perhaps more’s to the point, largely a reiteration of what has already been extolled about Carol and Peter’s home here on TA.

The decision to choose Clacton on Sea for a 2-night weekend getaway, was largely due to ease of access as I live in North London therefore, a 60-80 mile sojourn east was eminently preferable to a long trek south via the dreaded M25.

As for choosing the Chudleigh, almost a no-brainer when viewing the multitude of glowing reports on here, if I remember correctly, there’s but 1 three star review, the rest being higher, surely an achievement for any establishment!

A call was made to check availability and cost with a chirpy Peter answering. The normal room rate was £85.00 as shown on their website but was quickly discounted to £70.00 per night for a two-night stay. I have to admit to cheekily proposing a ‘compromise’ of £65.00 per night but this was quickly refused and in hindsight, probably quite rightly so however, I’ve always been of the opinion that there’s no sin in asking if done in a respectful manner.

And so, with all seemingly agreed and credit card details exchanged, we set out eastwards a little later than anticipated but hey, it was the weekend after all and our adventure was about to begin!

Whilst on route, Peter called to check our progress and advise as to where to ‘come-off’ on the A12 as God forbid, we end up in Colchester! Lol!

It was getting ever later with an ETA of around 20:30 now likely.

Peter also kindly advised that a parking space off-road in front of the Hotel had become available, in which case, recourse to the local Public Car Park at the end of the road was now unnecessary, that’s handy I thought!

We eventually arrive at Agate Road and are still in the process of negotiating into 'our' space when, who emerges to greet us in the dark but a smiley Peter.

First impressions are good as the front of the B&B has clearly been cared for with numerous plants and flowers adorning the large frontage, sadly something that cannot be said for the rest of Agate Road. There is also a huge demolition project underway at the top of the road where it meets Marine Parade West which does nothing to enhance the surroundings. Hopefully by the time you read this all will have been completed.

Peter proceeds to cordially show us which key is which for the front door/s and then leads us to our room, which we soon discover is to be No’2 on the first floor. He rather playfully confirms we are both ok with the stairs, through broad smiles we quickly reassure him that we are! What would he have done if we had said no I wonder, carry us? Bless!

The room itself is clean, bright if ever so slightly compact. It does however contain everything one could reasonable ask for and perhaps a little more in that genuine care and attention seems to have been lavished upon it.

Although it has no bath, the shower though small appears clean and completely useable. There is also the helpful addition of a heated towel rail with the softest white towels imaginable hanging from it.

In fact, the towels are of such good quality, they are too fluffy and expansive to fit properly through the gaps of the rail so are just plonked on top. This I later discover from Carol, is a known issue that is shortly due to be rectified via a complete room revamp which will include a new larger heated rail.

In truth, I doubt I would have noticed had the towels not been discernibly damp when we arrived, I did rather wonder whether they were the remnants from the previous guest or had simply not been allowed to properly dry after washing, either way, probably the only negative throughout our whole stay.

The bed is a King which is always a pleasant discovery and fortunately proves both firm & comfortable with excellent quality bedding to boot!

The TV is a little smallish for my own personal liking but undoubtedly adequate given the size of the room, overall therefore, everything appears both clean and tidy as one would undoubtedly expect.

Before I move on to breakfast which is certainly worthy of comment, it’s worth mentioning here that I had cause to call the number listed in the Hotel Directory for out-of-hours help, this primarily due to the apparent lack of heating in the room.

Although there was a nice large radiator in the far corner, trying to get any heat from the unit simply eluded me. How difficult could it be to turn it on you would wonder?

The thermostat control on the side moved seamlessly in the right direction as indicated by the arrow but sadly, failed to ignite and produce any heat, therefore a call was made to the ‘Helpdesk’ at approximately 22:30.

Carol answered quickly and enquired as to the problem. I have a slight feeling here I might have awoken her, I'm sure her job would be easier without the guests I later pondered!

The problem was quickly diagnosed as a lack of electricity. Hmmm, revelatory or what! I wonder now why I had assumed it was gas driven and not electric? Perhaps the fact it resembles my own walled radiator partially provides the answer here.

Either way, matters were quickly remedied by actually turning the unit on at the plug socket which in my own defence, if I may, was to the far side of the radiator and actually hidden from view...Oh dear, what am I like?

In 'mild' mitigation of the apparent stupidity of not being able to turn on a plug, I have to declare here that my partner is a Scientist who was also unable to detect the origin of the problem, therefore I will allow myself to feel a little less foolish than perhaps I should do - indeed!

Anyway...Carol was wholly magnanimous in her treatment of the situation and proudly declared the Hotel Manual as 'fit for purpose', as the problem had been solved ergo, all was well and warm again at the Chudleigh.

Breakfast as briefly mentioned previously, was really rather special.

I have been fortunate enough to enjoy 'Le petit Dejeuner’ in many a fine establishment, it was with some small surprise therefore that the offering from the Chudleigh proved so exceptional.

However, now we come to Sausage-gate!

To my taste buds at least, the sausage served on the second morning definitely tasted better as Peter was apparently at the sharp-end rather than the 'stand-in' on the first morning, allegedly.

Could it be I wondered that as Peter is a properly trained Chef, he made all the difference? Hard to believe I know as 'stock is surely stock' but, I have to say my partner expressed exactly the same comments about sausage-gate; bangers at dawn then...Gives a whole new meaning to 'seconds' doesn't it? Lol!

Incidentally, as I’m waffling on here about the minutia of the breakfast experience, its worth adding that the Bacon definitely appeared to be sourced from a Butcher’s board rather than the local supermarket.

I'm sure we've all had to endure the multi-coloured, multi-lingual, vacuum-packed dreg that occasionally passes for bacon at some establishments, which apart from being largely translucent upon opening, often reduce to such an extent it's literally unrecognisable as bacon when ready.

Small points I know, but often ones which B&B’s and small hotels tend to rely upon in order to distinguish and differentiate themselves from the alternatives who may occupy a similar space locally.

The point of all this dissection of course is that when taking into account the actual cost of the room, I would roughly guesstimate you would need to factor-in at least an additional £10.00 per person just for breakfast. This then makes the price as quoted something akin to an absolute bargain.

The ‘offering of the Muffins’ signaled the end of breakfast and allowed Carol to leave the sanctuary of the ‘plate’ and venture forth unto her guests or at least, those stragglers that had just made the ‘breakfast window’ and were now finishing up, i.e. us!

The warm and pleasant banter that ensued was more than welcomed by this chatty North London Lad and his accomplice, it was further evidence as to why guests return year after year.

So, the reviews are correct then! The Chudleigh is indeed a premium B&B that is run by two really nice individuals who visible care about the quality of service and product they provide.

The fact that it appears to reside in a location that would seem strangely out of keeping with the quality of their establishment, is perhaps a mute point.

Ultimately, it is where it is and I will certainly be heading that way next time I'm in Clacton-on-Sea!

Thoroughly recommended.

N.B.
Wholly irrelevant but...A minor disagreement arose between myself and my partner over the carpet in the common parts. I kinda liked it finding it rather fitting if not strangely familiar for some reason, my partner however did not preferring perhaps a plainer option, if one were available that is.

Carol mentioned it was bought some 10 plus years ago and was due for replacement but simply refuses to wear out.

I leave the final decision to you dear reader as to who is right!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank London-Phil
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Only stayed one night, wish it was more. The hosts are very welcoming and could not do enough. The room (we was on the first floor front) was clean, very comfortable with 2 comfortable armchairs and loads of good quality extras (plenty of milk and tea, I like my tea and I like it milky), also no unplugging something to plug the kettle in. The decor was good and the bed comfortable. The bathroom was a nice size, we had a shower and no bath which I would rather have anyway, but Peter did check if this was okay. The shower was a good size and just a dream so powerful didn't want to get out. The breakfast, well you would never starve believe me, all good quality food and good range of choices. We were concerned about the parking, but no worries they have a parking and although the hotel is just off the front, behind the amusements there was no noise. Carol and Peter were lovely hosts and I would and will recommend this hotel to everybody, we will be back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

5 star! Amazing rooms. Amazing value. You can tell the owners take such pride in their beautiful guest house. The beds were fantastic. We had one of the top floor rooms, spacious and big bed! Immaculate and very clean. The owners were such lovely people. Breakfast was delicious and promptly served. Clacton is a cute place. Amazing value for money. The bathrooms were very neat. Lovely sitting room across from the dining room. Only downside was water pressure issue in the shower, but that was a very minor problem, as our room had a bath also. Very generous selection of goodies in the rooms. Great wifi too!

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Foxxyemcee
Salisbury, Dorset, England
Reviewed May 1, 2014

What a find. We really enjoyed our stay here. Carol and Peter are great hosts and run a superb B & B. It is excellent value for money.The welcome was warm, the room recently decorated and the beds extremely comfortable, with good linens. The shower was great, gallons of hot water. The house has a lovely feeling of peace, and Carol and Peter have been in the business for many years and run a quality operation. Breakfasts were very good and served by a really sweet young waitress. The location is great, a minute's walk to the pier and beach and gardens and shops. Also there is free parking on the forecourt. We loved it here and should we go to Clacton again we absolutely would stay here - we highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We had room 1 downstairs which was great but I am sure they are all good.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hertfordshire
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Lovely hotel
It was very cosy
Everyone was very nice
Room and ensuite very clean
I had a room in the Attic,
Room was very pretty very comfortable bed and lovely armchair
Food was most enjoyable
It was about 5 minute walk from the station

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clacton-on-Sea
The Kingscliff Hotel
#2 of 2 in Thorpe Bay
Wivenhoe House
Wivenhoe House
#1 of 1 in Wivenhoe

Been to Chudleigh? Share your experiences!