“third world”
Review of Esplanade Hotel

Esplanade Hotel
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Clacton-on-Sea
Reviewed March 30, 2013

what a shock,after viewing pictures on late rooms.com,nothing like what we seen or expected.it was that horrid,old fashioned furnishings,poorly decorated,and dirty.and they even had the cheek to ask for a extra £30 each for a nicer room.lol it was just as dirty just a bigger room,i reckon the nice pictures they show on the web are the managers own room, cos they certainly didnt have one to show us,no we didnt stop.no way we lost £54. that they had the cheek to demand,even though the hotel/hostel was not full.late rooms have this dump rated 3* they have a cheek,youd have to be desperate to stay here.

Room Tip: stay some where else
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gullivercoventry

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Staff were extremely friendly, other guests were friendly. Food here is out of this world. Situated in the town if ur looking for night life. Ok parking isnt good but that cant be helped. I would stay here again. Our room (room 16) was clean, spacious and everything we wanted and needed in a room for our 3 night stay....

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 20, 2013

A two night stay at this hotel was bought for us a wedding gift through the Wowcher website. Even booking the hotel was a traumatic experience. The service we received on the phone should have been a warning.
On arrival, we pulled into the ridiculous car park at the rear, and made our way through the dated corridors to the reception. We weren't shown to our room, we were just was pointed in the general direction. The room was awful. There was a strange smell of what I can only describe as stale 'Bombay mix' hanging in the air. The curtains were only attached the rail in parts, meaning they were impossible to close fully. The bathroom was unclean, with huge patches of mould and algae growing on the shower head. There was no floor towel provided to act as a barrier between your feet and the badly stained floor.
The noise from whatever was happening down stairs was resonating through our room, so we thought the tv would be good to drown out the noise. After flicking through a few channels, I looked at the remote and discovered it was caked with what I can only hope was someone's old meal between the buttons. At this point we were questioning whether we wanted to spend two whole nights here.
I browsed for reviews of the hotel on the Internet, and after reading a few, the decision was made. We were going home.
When I handed the keys back to the chap on reception, he asked why we were checking out. I explained the reasons above. His only response was to look through a book and comment that the last people to stay in our room made no complaints. He asked if we wanted a different room, and we said we had seen enough already and wanted to leave.
No apology. No concern. He just shrugged and watched us walk out. He must be used to this happening.
Charging people £20 per night would be understandable. Their rates of £70+ per night to stay in these conditions is disgusting.
Please, for the sake of your health and sanity, avoid this place at all costs.

Room Tip: A room in another hotel. Or the pavement outside.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Geoff W
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in room 17, shower area very small, cold water, hardly any pressure, tho I must say they did change the shower head and it still made no difference. No shower mat no face towel and a hole in the ceiling. Felt more dirty when I stepped out because the dirty shower curtain clung to me. We were suppose to be staying for 2 nights but unfortunately 1 night was enough. The staff were friendly (when they were around). Breakfast was nice but when we told the manager that we were checking out early because of these reasons, she did not even offer us a different room. It's a shame really because with a little more TLC it could be a lovely hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Wimpixie
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I thought I was fortunate to get a single room so late on New Years Eve through laterooms.com.
Booked single with sea view, but on arrival was offered a twin on the 1st floor No. 6. All seemed ok, except for a strange unpleasant smell in the room. Then the entertainment started. I was above it and it was so loud the bed was vibrating. However, it was NYEve so I thought it would stop around mid-night but it went on until well after 1 am. Around 2am. there was a knock on the door by a staff member asking me to move my car as it was blocking the DJ from leaving. I had been told to put my car there. I got up and dressed only to get another knock to say it was a mistake, it was not my car. I mentioned about the noise level to the young man, and made it clear I was not happy about being woken in the early hours. By this time I was exhausted and had to be up early for work. Needing the loo I lifted the lid to find the pan was dark brown, and after flushing the smell coming from the San-flo maceration system was so bad, I had to sleep with the windows open. Breakfast was not until 10.15am but I was not told until after I had paid.
Early next morning, there was no hot water, and I did not want to use the shower after seeing the loo. spoke to the young man who said the Manager knew about the incident during the night. I showed him the toilet and he admitted the smell and the toilet were pretty awful, and told me to ring the Manager later, which I did. He pleaded ignorance to knowing about anything and said had I reported these things at the time, he would have given me a refund. My complaints, certainly regarding the toilet were still evident and I had no apology for being woken. Where could I have gone in the middle of the night anyway? One can only complain once the event has taken place after all!
I found the Manager to have no people skills, was very defensive and did not try to address my complaints, only to say it was too late to do anything. In future, I will be using travelodge. I have stayed in many hotels and this has been my worst experience!!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Leigh_on_SeaKate
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Stayed for one night in December 2012. The place is in a fantastic location for our purposes - right on the front - and just down the road from the town centre.

The employees there were fine, helpful and accomodating as well as being friendly.

The room was good as well - just the right size and very warm which was needed at the time of year we went. Breakfast in the morning was ok as well - although it could have done with being a bit hotter.

The downsides - the car park at the rear of the hotel I would say is likely to be abused in the summer months, as there are no signs stating it is a private car park. The shower in the room, although functional was SO small. I'm not a huge guy myself - neither is my other half, but if either one of us was claustrophobic, this would have killed either one of us.

A tip for the shower would be to install a sliding glass door, as opposed to a curtain which makes it feel even smaller.

As mentioned in the title - I get the feeling that the place is very much 'work in progress'.

Would I stay there again?? For £60 I would - but not any more.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2012

arrived at a busy time for the hotel soul weekend staff at reception told us we were told to park car in road as car park tiny no space room adequate clean but in need of modernisation £80.00 per night for room would not have been happy to pay that had a groupon deal cost £40.00 breakfast nice indian man on the reception not very friendly but lady in morning was lovely glad only one night stay but will say very clean cleaners must work very hard and pictures on line are only taken of best bits of hotel.

Room Tip: dont know if any of the rooms were different
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple