“good and bad bits”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clacton-on-Sea
Valley Farm Holiday Park - Park Resorts
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Just returned from a Sun break, Monday to Friday, October half term.
Arrived in the dark, receptionist friendly, off we set to our caravan which was almost at the back of the site, a few rows in from the train track, we could hear the trains during our stay, but it was not loud nor did it disturb us as noise diffused by trees.
Anyway, opened caravan door and in the first instance impressed by the cleanliness....at eye level only! Cobwebs around one of the living room lights that had been growing for some months I would guess, then looking down, there was a couple of grapes by the fridge door, rice in the passage. 1 of the lounge lights was not working, nor was the only light in one of the bedrooms, luckily it was a bedroom we were not using. In the double bedroom, there was a rather dubious odour, which I could not distinguish at first, but a few good sniffs I noted the smell of cigarettes and dog !! not a pleasant combination to have to sleep with, the room should have be aired completely by cleaning staff. The dog smell was confirmed by the round mound of dog hair in one corner where the pooch had obviously slept. As reception had now closed, could not request a cleaner so I had the task of sweeping, after a long day and having paid for a clean caravan this was not my idea of fun. Things could only get better I thought, so settled back on the sofa with a nice glass of wine, only to notice something poking out from the television table, being the curious type, I investigated, and pulled out, half a biscuit, bottle top, several sweet wrappers, and more dog hairs !! I had now collected enough rubbish to fill a small carrier bag, I can only draw the conclusion that the cleaner was short sighted and could only see at eye level, and not on the floor or had been abducted by aliens halfway through the job.
The clubhouse and restaurant were clean, and well presented. We had one evening meal in the restaurant, which was reasonably priced and food OK. And 2 mornings we had breakfast there, which they substituted mushrooms as I don't like beans, which I note other reviewers have complained about the set menu breakfast. Was confused about the price, as the menu advertised it as 1.99 but posters around the site advertised it as 2.09, so they do need to make pricing clear, and puzzled how they can offer a 5 item breakfast for such a good price but then charge 1.90 for a cup, yes a cup, not even a pot of tea !
Some reviewers have commented on the price of drinks, but house spirits at 3.00 for a double so overall, I think it was reasonable value.
The site was reasonably well kept, the usual rubbish flying around, dog poo on grass, etc, not the fault of the park, it is the stupid lazy people that throw rubbish and do not clear their dogs mess up, but I didn't notice any staff members clearing the site, except in one area. Next to the baseball court there is an alley way, where local teenagers congregate, this was not pleasant, there were a lot of them, smoking and drinking, and despite when I saw them at night they were creating quite a mess, yet by early next morning this was the only area to have been cleared of rubbish, I find this strange, as the rest of the park was not cleared, nor at any time during my stay was the games arcade cleared of the growing mound of sweets and wrappers.
Crazy golf does need an update, but not that bad really, swimming pool and playground good. Caravans are a bit too close together, but I guess the more they can cram in, they more profit to be made.
Some reviewers have not been complimentary towards the staff, yet all those I had dealings with were brilliant, helpful and friendly, let's face it they are paid low wages presumably, work long hours and have to deal with the whingeing ungrateful public, not a job for the faint hearted, but I found them all to be fantastic, and deserve a bit of praise.
On the whole, a pleasant yet bizarre site, what other site clears the area where local teenagers hang out, yet leaves the areas for paying guests in a mess? Shop and restaurant didn't open until 9am, later than most sites
They really have got to address the local teenage problem and explain to the cleaning staff the concept of cleaning. Apart from that an ok site, good base to visit Clacton, Frinton, Colchester etc., or just chill out on site.

3  Thank lynnkirby

Reviewed November 1, 2012

It's the first time we've been. After staying at large Haven resorts in the past it was nice to come here to a Park resort as it just felt less manic. I must mention Dave Cutts who was brilliant and really looked after us. He really made a big effort and made us feel so welcome. Jordan and Sam on the SKC Club worked so hard with the kids from 9.30 in the morning and it felt like there was always something for the kids to do and at no extra charge which makes a change. The beach was a five minute drive away and was lovely. We had a fantastic meal at Armstrongs restaurant which is downstairs at the fun park with beautiful views over the sea and great food at reasonable prices. The rest of the time we ate at Valley Farm. Food was really good and cooked to a really good standard. My other half even liked it and he's really fussy! Great choice for kids and adults.
We will definitely be back so thanks to all the team for working so hard and making us feel like part of your family.
See you next year

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Mish1801
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We have just returned from a weekend at Valley Farm in Clacton which we booked through the Sun Holiday oromotion. We upgraded our caravan to a Platinum Caravan and we were extremley pleased with it. The lounge was huge as was the kitchen, we had a full size bath which is handy with children and 1 large double bedroom and 2 further rooms with 2 singles beds in. We went away with our 4 year old daughter and a couple with a 2 year old the caravan was spacious enough for 4 adults and 2 children but I think that a smaller caravan would have been alot less comfortable. Our caravan had a lovely veranda which overlooked a stream and there were plenty of ducks to feed which amused our children and us!! In the summer it would be lovely to sit and relax outside and the site itself was one that was quiet, clean and very pretty.
Valley Farm itself is not a large caravan park the facilities for the site of it's size were more than ample. The indoor pool was quite large & there was also a toddler pool both were warm & very clean there were lots of different activities at the pool including a baby splash session & swimming lessons (free) for children over 3. There was also a sauna but it was tiny, cold and a bit dank although we continued to add water to increase the amount of steam and heat it did not last very long so a bit disappointing.
There are amusements on site, an adventure playground (we did not use due to alot of rain) and a shop on site which was very basic and a tesco extra & co-op are literally 5 minutes away from the site.
The club house was very clean and our children loved the entertainment team there was a disco, games and Sparky's krew club shows this was great but I felt that there could have been a little bit more for the children to do in the day time however this could be because it is almost the end of the season and things were winding down? The entertainment team were fantastic with both children and adults and they were happy to assist.
We also ate a meal at the club house the food was tasty & very good value for money with a good choice of meals, the fish n chip restaurant on site was also lovely and they were open late in case you fancied some chips after a night at the club house.
The location of the site is literally 5 minutes from Clacton sea front and town and we had a great time in Clacton on the pier and at Valley Farm also - we would definitely return!!!

2  Thank shazandjon
Reviewed October 25, 2012

When arriving we we met by a receptionist that looked as though she should be in the only way is Essex :-( a little off putting but I can say our holiday was not spoilt by this . We eat in the complex value for money and excellent service from the bar team to the complex manager. The pool team where very friendly and the pool was very clean. The evening entaintnment was excellent apart from one team star looking so fed up it look as though she didn't want to be there a young blond girl . The entertainment manager was very good and he could sing bonus we thought . Lovely clean park helpful staff recommended to all family's

• Stayed: October 2012
A TripAdvisor Member
tilbury, essex
Reviewed October 24, 2012

hi valley farm has been the only camp where we needed no repairs done it is clean and the staff are really helpful it is a short distance from the pier and on a clear day the walk would be enjoyable
the club house was very clean and entertainment excelent this is the second time we have been here and we love every minute
i hope it keeps it up as we will be back next year

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Me and 5 friends booked to stay at Valley Farm for a long weekend through The Sun. We have always been very lucky with The Sun holidays and have been given very nice carvans. The caravan we were given was a 2 bed bronze, very small but pretty clean. There were several downfalls -

The twin beds in the twin bedroom were so short that your feet hung out of the door on one and you had to sleep in the feotal position in the other (we were not a group of giants!)

The pull out bed in the lounge was just a bit of wood that pulled out that you then had to arrange the sofa cushions on. Was ok for a few nights but wouldn't have been practical for any longer. I was also under the impression that the pull out bed was normally surplus to requirements, so was expecting a 3 bedroom caravan.

The shower was very small and quite mouldy, I came out feeling dirtier than when I went in.

The doors to caravan kept getting jammed shut and took 5-10 minutes to open them sometimes.

We did ask if we could be moved to a larger caravan but was told that the site was full.
The number of people in the clubhouse, bar and on site in general suggests otherwise.

The clubhouse and bar were good. The food was great and a really good price. The majority of the staff were really friendly, appart from the receptionist, which is a shame as that is the first person who you make contact with.

I understand that we booked via a budget holiday package, however there are still certain standards that should be met.

Luckily, we know how to enjoy ourselves and made sure we still had a good time.

I would book through The Sun again, but would not return to Valley Farm on a Sun holiday or any other holiday.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank LisaB2006
Park R, General Manager at Valley Farm Holiday Park - Park Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Hello Lisa and thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry to hear that the twin beds in your accommodation were too small on this occasion and that the pull out bed in the living area was uncomfortable. In some of the newer model caravans the beds are sprung double beds, however, in some older models they are pieces of wood that slot over the dining area to create a double bed and whilst they are suitable for a short while, they can get uncomfortable if used long term. It is unfortunate that we were fully occupied throughout your stay, as whenever possible we will relocate guests into more suitable accommodation for their party. It is nice to receive positive feedback so I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the club and also the food whilst in the restaurant. I must agree that a smiling face and helpful disposition goes a long way and therefore I must apologise if our Receptionist did not show this on this occasion and can assure you that I have spoken with all our front of house staff to ensure this does not happen in future. I hope that you will visit Valley Farm again in future and thank you again for your review.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

me /husband had a 4 day break at this park and we find this park very clean and tidy.caravan was clean staff was very friendly and helpfull fish chip shop was great would go back again break was from 1/10/12 to 5/10/12

2  Thank terenahawks33