“Vegetarian disaster”
Review of The Dog & Gun - CLOSED

The Dog & Gun
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The perfect place to unwind with a glass of something chilled and enjoy delicious, freshly cooked food with family and friends. Our food is cooked entirely from scratch using fresh, seasonal produce. We have selected a range of fine wines, beers and spirits to accompany our menu. When the weather is good, guests can dine on the terrace which is covered with huge umbrellas and super-efficient heaters...Ideal for those long lazy al fresco lunches! PS...Whilst bookings are not mandatory they are strongly recommended. Email reservations are not a definite booking unless we send you confirmation but we will try our very best to accommodate you.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Vegetarian disaster”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Oh I feel sorry for vegetarians. This was very disappointing. I eat meat and have eaten here before. Last night I decided to have a vegetarian meal.
The starter was halloumi which was good.
For the main course I chose the veggie 'burger'. A bad choice. It was a vegetable stack in a burger bun with chips and onion rings. The vegetable stack was a soggy mushroom,a piece of green pepper and 2 pieces of raw aubergine. All served at room temperature. I find raw aubergine unpalatable so sent it back to be cooked but it was returned after the rest of our party had finished eating in much the same state. I didn't want to make more of a fuss so i said nothing but I feel very sorry for anyone who is vegetarian. This dish did not require much cooking and really was just 4 bits of veg topped with melted mozzarella. Not what you expect from a restaurant which is not cheap.
The meat eaters were quite happy.
We had gone to the dog and gun because they had e mailed me saying that in January they were giving a free bottle of wine with every 2 main courses. When I booked the table I checked the offer was still applying but when we got there they seemed reluctant to give us the offer. They did in the end agree to do so.
Altogether a disappointing evening.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Ruth653

Chipping Ongar, United Kingdom
“Beautiful meal, as usual”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I had the halibut and my partner had the fish and chips. As usual the fish and chips were beautifully cooked with crunchy batter and tender cod. The triple cooked chips are a real treat, especially dipped in the homemade tartar!

I went a bit off piste time and had pan fried halibut with dauphinois potatoes, asparagus, mussels and a roast garlic sauce and it was sublime. The fish was beautifully cooked and the flavours worked really well together, most unlike me, I finished my plate!! Recommended.

• Visited January 2014
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“How the mighty fallen”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Last year went had an amazing experience at the Dog and Gun, great food and great service.
We booked again for Boxing Day. we should of checked the menu first. I have seen some blatant use of left overs but this took the biscuit ( pardon the pun) It was just a rework of what was left in the fridge from Christmas Day and had all the style of a Soup Kitchen and about the same amount of choice. I had the COLD Ham and Turkey with duck egg and Bubble and Squeak ( which was cold and the egg was over cooked. A beef Stroganof arrived which was obviously using up the left over beef from Christmas Day, the sauce was a disgrace and had all the elgance and flair of a first year catering student. The childrens menu was offered and then taken away with a gruding offer of chicken goujons and chips.
If we could of gone else where we would of done but on Boxing Day we had no option but to stay.
I have been ripped off in restaurant before but this was the worst and I will not venture there again. The manager and chef should hang their heads in shame over this sham.

• Visited December 2013
Braintree, United Kingdom
“Lovely find”
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Lovely setting for a special lunch, food is very nice, service is excellent, staff very helpful, if you are looking for an afternoon out for a special occasion, you will pay slightly more but the whole ambience and atmosphere is well worth it, highly recommend this delightful restaurant

Visited December 2013
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“An Excellent Evening”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

In July this year we visited the Dog and Gun and had a terrible time and I said never again,however some friends of ours wanted to try it. Against my better judgement I agreed and a party 15 booked.
What a difference the staff were attentive and focused ,the service was excellent and the food was what you would expect from a good restaurant,I could not fault it.
People are quick to complain as I did but not so quick to say it was good. We will be going again and lets hope the the standard is maintained

• Visited December 2013