“Bi of a shame”

Saracens Head Hotel
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Chelmsford
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The room was horrid... Very shabby.. The kettle was so full of lime scale I decided not to use it. When I lifted the toilet seat it feel off so it was not fixed to the toilet. Went to have a shower and found only half off it was there and so I was unable to use it. Th bath had no bath mat and floor was tiled and slippy do not able to have a bath.. I complained at the tim but was told to write in. I sent an email and have hd no response. Would have liked to have been advised of all the faults before I took the room. Hope no one else uses it is fixed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Julez1066

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Booked very last minute as I was heading to Essex with a loose plan of where to stay. I got to Chelmsford and decided to stop in the city as I had never been before. A quick look on late rooms showed very little choice and all very pricey, however a google search found the Saracens head right in town. I called and was given the rate of £45, it raised alarm bells but as a tired traveler it would do.
I parked in the NCP as there is no parking near by and walked to the Hotel. On arrival I had to look for staff to book me in. I paid for my room and room only I was unable to leave a tab open for breakfast or drinks, not a major point but something everyone else is able to do. I then went to my room, as best workmens accommodation (hence the price I guess) The rooms window looked over a conservatory extension. the room had no way of ventilation and was about 100 degrees.
I went out and had a drink on the front of the hotel to be entertained by the local drunks fighting among each other.
On getting back from an evening meal the room was still at boiling point and the night was fairly miserable. The shower in the morning was covered in green mildew on the head and I felt dirty all day, this was not helped by the fact i dried off only to be covered in sweat in the subcontinental heat of the room with no ventilation.
I didnt stay for breakfast I could not get away soon enough.
Pretty poor even by budget standards - back to preplanning trips me thinks

Room Tip: book in at another place
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dave E
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have stayed here last year and found it poor do my expectations were not high but the hotel delivered even worst standards than previously. I only stayed this time because I was unable to get anywhere else without paying big bucks.
There was no shower hose on the bath mixer but I needn't have worried because there was no hot water. Service was almost invisible.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank mikeycollins
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We had a great stay, clean room, comfy bed and good price. Yes it is very loud (Saturday night) so bring your ear plugs, but good staff and a nice holiday feel to the place. The executive room was huge.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TheMassinghams
Reviewed May 2, 2013

A one night flying business trip to Chelmsford, and I was booked into this place by a colleague at work.

Having read a few reviews before I arrived, I was sceptical, and my scepticism became reality on arrival.

Check-in was painless to be fair, but then it went downhill.

The room was not very clean at a glance, but thankfully I had to go out straight away.

On return later (late on) I realised that the taps had crusty bits stuck to them, the basin looked like it needed a really good wash.

Given the late nature, tried to get to sleep and just put up with it for the one night.

Noticed little stains on ceiling, maybe mould, maybe something else? Who knows, tried to blank it out and go to sleep – beckoning on check out time.

Needs money spending on it, and someone who cares about the place to go around, and sort it out.

It wouldn’t take much – a bit of work here and there, a few bottles of bleach, and a few days cleaning and it could be okay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank IanPrice
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Me and my partner stayed at Saracens Head last night as we were seeing friends, we chose this hotel because the photos on the website looked half decent and from the outside looked good. We got the keys and as we walked up to our room our door looked like a row bar had been at it!! (room 14) not a good start. We went in to find the window opened but fell straight down so we had to take a picture off the wall to hold the window open! The shower head was awful as you couldn't move it and it just trickled against the wall.. In the bathroom there was a piece of paper stapled to the ceiling covering a hole! The draws fell apart as soon as you opened them and there was one coat hanger in the cupboard.. You could see a dark shadow in the lamp shade so we took a look to find a cookie there! The unit that the tea facilities where on was not stable, as you places something on there it looked like it was going to come off the wall.. We could not change rooms as there was no service at reception! When leaving in the morning still no service to hand keys back and complain so simple left the keys on the counter and left! Never to stay there again.. And Would not recommend as it is an Appalling and dirty place!

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank FrancescaBuck
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Overall this venue was pretty decent. Rooms bit dated but overall acceptable. Breakfast was ok clean and tidy. Location was perfect. Biggest problem with this place is its service level. No interaction from reception. Breakfast service was no smile no feeling of welcome from the team.

• Stayed: April 2013