“First trip to Essex!”

and 1 more site!
Channels Lodge
Ranked #1 of 19 Chelmsford B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed at Channels Lodge as my friend and I were going to a party in the Essex Barn in the adjoining Golf Club. Beautiful surroundings and well organised small hotel. I had a lovely room (Cedar) in the main house which was beautifuly decorated and had an oak beam ceiling. The bed was large and very comfortable with a soft duvet and big pillows - luxurious. The curtains were gorgeous - my friend now wants them for her home! Tea & coffee making facilities were generous and there was even fresh milk in the fridge. Breakfast was included for which there was a very good menu - I had kippers which were delicious. We will definately go back!

Room Tip: Cedar had a walk in shower which wouldn't suit everyone
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LizaMafiosa
1245Chelmsford, General Manager at Channels Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

At Channels we have always tried to combine the best of the old with the best of the new so it is good to know that our efforts are appreciated and that you had enjoyed your stay with us. Incidentally, I note that this was your first visit to Essex following which I hope you will agree that it is a very much nicer county than some commentators would have one believe. Simon Larner

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I spent one night here as I was attending a party in the Essex Barn located at the Golf Club in the same area. I stayed in the Elm room which was stunning. Located in the courtyard, it was an xxtremely large room with two huge beds which were connected (I got lost in them!). Very luxurious soft furnishings and very nice bathroom. Generous amounts of complimentary tea, coffee and hot chocolate and fresh milk. The only fault I found was that the lighting in the bathroom was hopeless for applying make-up and was not much better in the bedroom, but I loved the place so much I will definitely be going back. Breakfast offered a wide choice from kippers to full english. Very friendly staff. Great countryside location.
(My friend stayed in another smaller room in the main building and this was also a beautiful room.) I would love to know who makes their curtains!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your very helpful remarks and the kind things you had to say about us. I take your point regarding the bathroom lighting and will have another look to see what improvements might be possible. In the meantime, I will be in touch privately letting you have the name and address of our interior decorators. Simon Larner

Reviewed February 10, 2013

If you like an historic place to stay, with a mixture of ancient and stylish modern, then this is the place for you! Our family had two suites (Willow and Oak), and could not fault anything!

My husband and I were in the Oak Suite, and it was absolutely to die for! The modern furnishings complemented the ancient beams and fireplace, and the bathroom was the largest I have ever had in any hotel, anywhere. Simple things, like fresh fruit at reception, china mugs for morning tea/coffee and a large umbrella provided in the room (as the restaurant is a short walk away from the lodge rooms, and it was raining when we visited, this was greatly appreciated), mean that the management have seriously thought about what is important to their guests.

We ate in the Brasserie, and the food was excellent and well presented, The restaurant staff were very attentive and accommodating.

Breakfast was delicious, with good quality ingredients.

It you want to "spoil" yourself, in a rural setting, but easily in reach of larger towns, then this is the place for you.

Thank you for our fabulous stay. All the staff should be very proud of the service you provide. We shall certainly return!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1245Chelmsford, General Manager at Channels Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

It would be all too easy, following such a kind and favourable review, to become complacent but that is a danger which we at Channels are determined to avoid realising, as we do, that returning guests are sure to judge us on past experience. Simon Larner

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Our new daughter in law chose Channels for their reception, and we stayed in the lodge with several other family members, of all ages. (January 2013) Everyone commented on the individual character of the rooms, suites, etc which were all extremely well appointed, and very comfortable.
The reception itself was extremely well organised, the food was wonderful and the atmosphere in the Barn was incredible. Like a previous post, the 'Breakfast after the night before' was something else, complete with log fire.
A first class venue, run by and staffed by people who really take pride in their work.

Room Tip: Choose any room. They all have their own individual character, and the location virtually guarantees...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 874Ben
1245Chelmsford, General Manager at Channels Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

It is always nice to receive a complimentary review more especially when it relates to such an important function as a wedding. On behalf of the whol;e team at Channels may I say that it was a very 'happy occasion' for us as well. Simon Larner

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stylish and comfortable rooms set in a very peaceful location off the beaten track . Would definately recommend to anyone wanting a touch of luxury and higher standard of overnight stay accomodation and will certainly book again in the future .Centrally located and within easy reach of Chelmsford and Braintree. A gem of a find.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I greatly appreciate your very kind comments since they underline what we at Channels Lodge aim to provide for all our guests. Simon Larner

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed at Channels Lodge at the end of December 2012 as a surprise for my girlfriends birthday and she certainly wasn't disappointed!!

I had previously visited Channels for a friends wedding but didnt have the pleasure of staying but all of the wedding party that did, could not recommend it enough. So I was more than happy that I followed their advice.

The staff at the lodge were extremely helpful even before we arrived, with fulfilling every request that I sent across via email promptly and efficiently, with such attention to detail. They even arranged for flowers to be in our room on arrival for my girlfriend and they made a great choice for the budget I had given.

The check in process was quick and effortless with the staff being very welcoming.

When we arrived at our room (The Hazel Suite), we was blown away. It was amazing. A huge bed, an amazing bathroom with seperate roll top bath and shower cubicle and enough room throughout to move about very easily. The decor was amazing and very modern with the huge mirror being a very prominent feature in the room that was very handy when getting ready. The bed was so comfortable that we had a perfect nights sleep.

The breakfast the next morning was lovely and everything was catered for and no request was a problem for the staff.

Check-out was just as quick and easy as checking in

Its the attention to the smallest deatail that really sets this space apart, from the umbrella in the room to the room amenities all being included, nothing can be faultered.

Will definitely be visiting again for special occasions and cant wait for our next visit.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1245Chelmsford, General Manager at Channels Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

It was very encouraging to read the comprehensive review of your recent stay at Channels Lodge and to know that we had lived up to your expectations. We look forward very much to welcoming you back on another special occasion. Simon Larner, General Manager at Channels Lodge responded to this review.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Rooms in this period hotel are extremely well appointed, stylish and comfortable. The hotel is about about a mile up a track from the main road. The food is great and the staff are helpful. On a recent snowy morning, I especially appreciated the log fire in the restaurant which was lit even at breakfast time. Excellent all round.

Room Tip: There's a DVD player - but only one - ask early if you want to use it!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1245Chelmsford, General Manager at Channels Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Many thanks for your kind review. While we cannot guarantee a log fire we can always assure you of a very warm and seasonable welcome. Simon Larner, General Manager Channels Lodge responded to this review

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chelmsford
Chelmsford Serviced  Apartments
The Limes
The Limes
#2 of 3 in Maldon
Greenwoods Hotel & Spa

Been to Channels Lodge? Share your experiences!