“I wish I had watched the Hotel Inspector”

The Oakland Hotel Ltd
Ranked #11 of 20 Chelmsford B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 4, 2013

What can one say after a night at the only hotel in South Woodham Ferrers, Essex other than, thank god I was at a party and thank god for alcohol.
OK, no I wasn't expecting the Ritz and yes it was cheap, though not cheerful. Yes too you get what you pay for but with no competition, what can you expect. 70's brown coloured toilet suite, accompanied with 70's patterned carpet and I mean recently patterned by way of stains and rounded off with a TV with a screen not much bigger than my iPhone!
The residents bar is the dance floor, the reception is the dance floor, the dining room is the dance floor and the views are..................
However, I do have to say that the staff were all very friendly and polite, yes even the bouncers who stopped you taking your drink onto the front terrace after 9:00pm.
True friends would have told me in advance about the Oakland being on TVs hotel inspector, but hey, it's an experience. No harm done!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank Gabe C

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We booked in here for a Saturday night stay and after reading some of the reviews was a little concerned about our stay. I had nothing to worry about! The rooms were clean and very comfortable, the staff were efficient and friendly and breakfast was delicious.

If you are looking for somewhere local at a reasonable price then look no further.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This hotel is situated in a pedestrian precinct in a modern town. our room overlooked the back yard to a group of shops, it was full of bins and litter. There is no aircon. The room was clean but basic. The plastic sheet on the bed was both insulting and uncomfortable - we took it off. The hotel has live music on Fri and Sat until 2 am. We were there in the week but kept awake by lorries delivering and general noise all night. The pub was "rough" and the restaurant was Chinese but closed. There were a lot of takeways and cheap low quality eateries close by. It felt as if we were in a hotel for workers away from home. The breakfast was the final straw - a half rasher of dried up bacon, burnt tomato, cold tinned mushrooms and greasy low quality egg. There were cereals to help yourself but no fruit or yoghurt. There were loaves of brown and white bread to toast yourself but no other pastry or cake. The breakfast was in the bar served on "white" oil clothes. We had to move the car from the market place by 9 am or risk clamping and were told to park on nearby Asda. Staff were not unpleasant but lacked welcome, warmth and training. A bad decision at £60 a night.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here ask for a room at the back on Fri or Sat because of late music until 2 am.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank lynnm156
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I have just stayed at the Oakland for 3 nights as I was on a 4 day beauty course in the area. I chose the Oakland because of its location in relation to wear my course was. I didn't want to drive far to and from my course.
My first impression was that the hotel was dated, including my room (I stayed in a standard double) but I have to say it was spotlessly clean which was what mattered to me and after my first night my room felt homely to me. I did struggle to find places to eat, not through lack of choice but because I was a 30 yr old female on my own. First evening I had a panini at costa (open til 7.30pm) second night a meal at the town crier opposite hotel (wasn't very impressed) and third night I ate in the restaurant part of the fish & chip shop next to the hotel which was nice. There are many places to eat, Chinese, Indian, kebab shop, macdonalds etc. I found the bulk of guests at the Oakland were contractors when I stayed and it seems a lot of locals use the hotel bar which obviously I avoided in the evening being alone. However one afternoon I had a large glass of wine in there as it was quiet and read through my course material. I was over the moon to be charged £3 for a very large glass, where I live you'd pay double. Breakfast was fantastic if you just want full English and cereals. Very much enjoyed that. The staff were friendly but over so. Apart from the young bar maid that afternoon who gave me advice on where to eat. If I needed to stay in the area again I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Oakland, it served its purpose for me but its not a hotel I'd like to stay with my husband if we were having a wkend away

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Have stayed here once, the hotel itself is fine, erring on the basic side but functional, comfortable and quite reasonably priced. Good food and conveniently located for other eateries and shops so all in all good.
However, it really is spoiled by some of the locals, namely an ageing dyed blond mouthpiece that seems to think she is 40 years younger than she is. What a gob. What a state. Enough said.
There were a few idiots who thought it fun to knock on doors in the early hours but thats what happens when silly boys have more than 2 pints of lager, such fun.
The staff here are friendly, service good, bar surprisingly good value and general cleanliness fine.
I would consider staying here again, overall not bad but too many locals propping up the bar to feel really relaxed over a drink

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Tommy B
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Just returned from a 12 night stay at the Oakland Hotel. 5 of us were working at Bradwell Power station and as we had to leave hotel at 6.15am, too early for hotel breakfast, we wanted a location where we had a selection of food outlets and pubs when we returned from work. The Oakland Hotel is the perfect location for anyone working in this area of Essex. Theres a variety of chinese, indian & fast food outlets in the immediate vicinity of the hotel plus The Town Crier Pub across the road is great place to spend an evening with a good & very reasonable menu.
The Oakland Hotel is basic but with spotlessly clean rooms, friendly staff and a good bar. The Hotel manager warned us of the noise during the weekend but this was easily solved by using ear plugs. Only had the hotel breakfast on 3 occasions and each time it was of good quality and enjoyed by all of us. Overall we were more than happy with our decision to stay at The Oakland hotel and will definitely stay again when working in this part of the country.

Room Tip: If you stay at the weekend ask for Rooms 34 to 37 as these are on the second floor at the back of th...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Tony R
oaklandhotel, Front Office Manager at The Oakland Hotel Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Thank you very much for the favourable review it is much appreciated.

We are happy to hear that the Hotel suited your requirements.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Our stay was totally ruined by drunk idiots shouting, fighting, and setting the fire alarms off in the hallway outside our rooms right up to 5am. When we complained this morning the staff seemed uninterested. We were told breakfast started at 8am when it actually started at 9, when breakfast finally did arrive it was poor to say the least. The scrambled egg was the driest I've ever seen, toast was burnt, as was the sausage and bacon. mushrooms were tinned and hardly cooked. All in all probably the worst place we've ever stayed in, needless to say we will never stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank Steve B
oaklandhotel, Front Office Manager at The Oakland Hotel Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

We do apologise that your stay with us was spoiled by the behaviour of a few Guests who had attended a Wedding locally. Having looked at the bookings for last weekend we note that you did not book your accommodation until the afternoon of your stay so unfortunately we were not able to offer rooms in the quiet part of the Hotel. We have identified the Guests who caused the trouble and we will be notifying the on-line Booking Agency that they used, that we will not accept these Guests again.

We normally receive compliments on our breakfast so are disappointed that you felt it was not up to standard. All ingredients are fresh we do not use tinned mushrooms or tomatoes, and a local Butcher makes the sausages for us.

Regarding the Fire Alarm activation I am sure you will appreciate that we do have to leave the bells ringing while Staff check the whole Hotel in case there is a fire - we cannot assume that it is a false alarm.

Once again we apologise for the fact you did not enjoy your stay with us.