“Cold!”

The Oakland Hotel Ltd
Ranked #11 of 19 Chelmsford B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Having spent a short night stay, I found the hotel average.

The receptionist/bar maid was pleasant and helpful. The room was quite a walk with 2 flights of stairs with no lift. It was very clean, but my God was it cold! There was a large radiator but there was no hot water running through it (yes the valve was open). As others have managed it was rather noisy at night. I was situated at the rear where there is a small car park, any vehicle activity was very loud, even on the second floor.

As I left early I did not experience the breakfast.

There is a pub located on the ground floor, it was quite off putting really watching middle aged women rolling around drunk, so I only stopped for one ;-)

Overall happy, but this was a Sunday night and fear a Friday or Saturday could be very different.

Room Tip: Room 34 was good for us, decor and cleanliness wise.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

The Oakland is a tidy clean place ,rooms could do with bringing up to date but clean . Plenty of places to eat . Take aways or restaurants.
Breakfast is cooked or continental,but a bit on the small side.
Overall good though.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I have had many a visit to the Oakland Hotel and have always found it to be an excellent location. Extremely freindly staff, very clean and an excellent breakfast. Just what a business traveller requires. Also a very good and FREE internet .....

I will be going back for another 5 three day visits in October, which i have never done at any other hotel.

Lots of local places to eat, including 2 Indian Restaurants, Chinese, Pub food, and even McDonalds which is very handy for a coffee and a McFlurry at the end of a busy day.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent, ive even been given a double when only booking a single room.....like i sai...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 21, 2012

well where do i start, staff were rude, food was disgusting,room was ok but boiling hot and they charged for fans....was woken at half 2 in the morning by a delivery lorry driver shouting his mouth off,then again at 5am with them emptying bottles into the bottle bank which was right under our bedroom window...the food if you can call it that.....full english breakfast that i wouldnt even feed a dog...ended up waiting until i got to v festival and paying lots for far better....would never stay there again would get better service in a bloody prison.....good luck to everyone staying there in the future

Room Tip: go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank Lianne K
oaklandhotel, Owner at The Oakland Hotel Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

I feel compelled to reply to this review.
Last weekend was the hottest weekend of the year, day and night.
Where ever you were sleeping, be it at home or a hotel, it was hot.
We cannot help the weather. We do offer fans, but bearing in mind people would have them on all night, we charge £5.
We regularly get good remarks about our breakfast. There is always plenty of cereal, juice, as much toast as you can eat, plus a full English, which is well cooked. This is all included in the room price. These people never made a complaint at the time, which I always find strange, as we get lots of good comments during breakfast from satisfied customers.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We arrived prompt to be greeted by others all attending the v fest, when asked by others why the mini bus was arranged for 12pm to leave for v (after being told it was at least 40min away) we were rudly told by a member of staff that, we wouldnt miss anything and they have arranged these trips for years! We missed over an hour of the v fest (after paying alot of money for tickets) we were shown to our room, which quite frankly was nice to have clean crisp sheets, however the decor was shocking as were the dirtness on the units etc. We proceeded to the bar for a couple of hours before our mini bus was to arrive and I asked if I could have some ice (it was the hottest day of the year) the bar man, whom I believe is one of the owners was quite rude and proceeded to tell me I should buy beer! The mini bus arrived and the price was very reasonable I thought, when we were collected and returned to the hotel after a fantastic eve at v, I was shocked to see and hear a 'nightclub' underneith! I was NOT aware of any nightclub nor was I warned, I only knew because my friend had told me it was on the show Hotel Inspector! We proceeded to our room, which was rediculously hot and we had no choice but to keep the windows closed, I actually thought I would pass out with the heat and there was no fans in the room! I was kept awake continuously though the night, not through the noise as you would expect in a hotel like this, but a noise that quite frankly sounded like someone dragging a stick along the radiators!

In the morning, we went down for 'breakfast' the women behind the bar were pleasent, but the 'full english breakfast' was SHOCKING, it was all cheap and nasty, over cooked and repulsive, Im no food critique or snob but I wouldnt of fed it to my family, the cheap beans were nasty, the sausage was over cooked, the egg was rock hard and the mushrooms were heated tinned mushrooms. Overall the majority of the staff were rude, the decor is unbelievable and the brunt of many peoples jokes, the food was even worse.....if you actually can! Constructive feedback, paint, clean, buy decent food, hire a chef and be polite to the people that support and help pay your wages! Would we stay there again or recommend it??? We will look else where in the future, the only decent thing about the hotel is the clean white sheets! BRING BACK THE HOTEL INSPECTOR!

Room Tip: Dont choose the rooms with the 80s decor................or the green room :( Rooms at the back of t...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Kimbo T

These people never complained on the day.
We arranged three mini buses, like we always do, and according to the drivers it all went very well. Considering the size of V, the pick up etc. all went very smoothly.
Our normal check in time is 2pm. V weekend, we always allow early check ins to accommodate our guests. We do get lots of comments on the dated rooms, which we are gradually doing up, but we never get comments on the rooms being unclean. If they had commented at the time, and showed me, I would have been able to see for myself, but looking around the rooms after these comments, I could not find any dirt. We are always commended on the cleanliness of the rooms.
The glass of ice was given to this customer. It was to have with cans of beer they had brought with them, which they were drinking outside on our picnic tables. He just commented that we do sell nice cold beer ourselves. I was in the bar at the time - he was definitely not rude. Our staff are always referred to as friendly, but the V weekend is extremely busy, and as you know extremely hot, but we do our best. It was hot everywhere last weekend. I myself spent the night downstairs with the back door open as it was too hot in my house upstairs.
It clearly states on our website and all the booking agencies about our late music. This person did know about it because she commented that someone told her, even if she did not see it. I believe this person booked Vtickets/accommodation through an agency. We did not have their personal details, but sent our confirmation to the address given which was the booking agency. Had we got her personal details she would have got the confirmation detailing the whole weekend.
We get lots of good comments on our breakfast. A lot of local people also come just for breakfast. All our produce is fresh and local, and we have never ever used tinned mushrooms in all the time we have been here.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Where on earth to start - shabby and tasteless decor, louts and drunks throughout the ground floor making it impossible for hotel guests not interested in drinking themselves into an early grave to feel at ease in the bar area, obnoxious staff/owners - the attitude of the older man to the women and even the barman was completely offensive, I then discovered the barman was the son, which became no surprise when his inherited neanderthal attitude was demonstrated to the female members of the family in front of guests and drunks alike. Breakfast in the bar of the night before is just disgusting - the stink of stale beer, sticky floor, crumps and crap everywhere, though perhaps the perfect location for the greasefest that was breakfast - completely revolting. Can't believe that the cheap and tacky nightclub uses the same entrance as the hotel - making life even more distasteful for hotel guests, and at one point, as I returned from dinner elsewhere, actually slightly dangerous as a fight seemed to be brewing, and I felt distinctly unsafe and not cared about. This place is a definite no no for women staying alone - the surrounding area and louts in the bar are not safe. For similar reasons it's no family environment either, I wouldn't trust my youngsters or my teenagers around this type of clientele. Any clearthinking businessman should find another option, in fact I think this hole is really only suitable for likeminded caveman, louts and brawlers.

Room Tip: Book another hotel, sleep on a mate's floor, curl up in your car boot, cosy up with a homeless p...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
48  Thank A C
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Booked this to take my young son to sailing regatta for the weekend in Burnham nearby. Website looked nice. £60 a night isnt cheap these days, but not dear either, so expectations reasonably high. Arrived about 8pm, small unmanned reception, bar staff on hand to help - pleasant, chatty. Hotel rooms sit above a bar/nightclub - we were placed as far away as possible as loud music on Sat nights. OK fine. Arrive room, passing through hallways being re carpeted and redecorated. Our room - very tired, very poor, dingy, old mattresses, old chipped furniture, no wardrobe - a plastic hanging rail, bathroom clean but 1980 vintage - golden orange, wifi not allowing connections - clearly password in booklet changed. If it had been earlier I would have asked for my money back - this room was nothing like the photos on the website. Later went to local asda for food, coming back thought about complaining - tweo big burly nightcvlub bouncers on the door for the nightclub - though better of it. To be fair - we weren't disturbed by the music, just noisy guests going to rooms late and the yobbos outside on their mopeds at midnight...Next morning breakfast staff were courteous and keen to please - nice cooked breakfats quickly served. Would I go back though ? Not a chance.

Room Tip: Ask for refurbed rooms if you must stay
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
18  Thank Gregory P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chelmsford
Travelodge Chelmsford Hotel
#6 of 10 in Chelmsford
Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel
Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel
#1 of 1 in Margaretting

Been to The Oakland Hotel Ltd? Share your experiences!