“great place to stay!”

Ranked #12 of 20 Chelmsford B&B and Inns
staffordshire
“great place to stay!”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Ive just stayed at oakland on a saturday night with my mother.we was informed about the lively bar over the phone & when we got there.wasnt a problem to us.they done their best to give us 2 rooms at the back (very kind)! polite friendly check in,clean comfortable rooms & had a good nights sleep.woke up to a great breakfast which is a nice table service.the staff are really nice & we both enjoyed our stay,will stay here again well done!

Room Tip: If you are unsure about the noise from the bar downstairs maybe try before hand to get a room at the...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank busterStaffordshire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
North devon
Reviewed August 7, 2011

My wife and I stayed here with our 9 Month old Son during a trip to visit family living in South Woodham Ferrers. We were booked in for one night with a few other members of the family in other rooms.
We arrived early evening on a Thursday and checked in at the large, clean and modern bar. The hotel is right in the town centre and so you should anticipate the usual drunken shannanigans on Friday & Saturday nights. Also the bar/club looks to provide lively music up to 2am. Bear this in mind and maybe request an upper floor away from the hub.

We had requested a cot for our son which we were told on arrival had already been taken to the room-good stuff. The staff were friendly and helpful.
The "family" room was located at the furthest reaches of the hotel and had a double bed and a single.
The room was spotlessly clean although basic and rather dated. I am at a loss to explain how the decor appears to be older than the building.
The bathroom could do with modernisation, but was clean and had plenty of towels and complimentary shower gels, soap etc.
There is plenty of tea, coffee and biscuits etc alongside the kettle. Also a hairdryer, TV and alarm clock are provided.
The provided cot was modern and clean.

One of the main gripes I had about this room was the double bed. It was very hard and the base at the foot end had collapsed somewhat. My wife didn't mind so much but for me it made it so uncomfortable that I had to sleep in the single. Which in contrast was far to soft and springy-alas there was nothing "just right" ;)
Maybe the management need to access this bed for replacement (room 43)

The cost of the room included breakfast. This is served in the bar area. There was a good selection of cereals and fruit juices/tea/coffee. Along with bread for toasting and spreads etc.
I opted for the Full-English breakfast. It arrived quite promptly and was satisfactory. The sausages and bacon could perhaps be upgraded to a better quality to really improve the dish.
The staff were always attentive and polite.

I have rated this Hotel as "Average" although with a few minor improvements it would be knocking on the door of "very good"

Good value none-the-less at around £60 for a room per night.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Gonzopete
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2011

pointless booking into a hotel. would have got a better nights sleep in my car or on a park bench. could hear a water pump or boiler running all night, doors slamming and workers in the car park. never again.
i explained this in the morning to the staff and they didn't seem to care.
such a shame as we had been to a lovely wedding and thought staying at a hotel would be a nice treat, instead it was a waste of money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank laurajacqueline

Travelers are raving about these Chelmsford hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2011

I definitely would not recommend this hotel, and did not enjoy my stay there. Luckily, I have had a few days to calm down, otherwise this review would have been in danger of containing expletives!

I will try and first think of some positives:
- ermm....
- Ok, near to 3 rivers golf and country club. Taxi £12.
- Relatively clean
- Staff were not unfriendly

Negatives:
- They warned that there would be music on Saturday night- a risk of being noisy. What they did not say was that there was a LIVE ROCK BAND on just below the room. The music I could have handled (went on till 2am) but the band felt like it was in the same room (till 1.15am). The mirrors on the walls were vibrating and my toothbrush kept falling off the shelf in the bathroom. This meant I was extremely tired the next day for the wedding I was going to!

-The bed was really hard and uncomfortable, the pillows were thin and lumpy. Awful brown blanket on bed contained cigarette burns.

- The bathroom was badly in need of an update- salmon pink 1970s style very basic. The sink looked like it had been glued back together. The toilet roll was cheap and awful. When I had a shower the bath was very creaky and didn't feel very stable- I couldn't wait to get out.

Overall, I definitely was not worth the money and I would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank GeordieJerry
oaklandhotel, Manager at The Oakland Hotel Ltd, responded to this review, May 16, 2011
I am very suprised to hear your comments regarding your recent stay with us. Firstly you were booked into a triple room on Sunday night and single room on Saturday night. Upon check in when you asked what time you would have to switch over, I explained that the triple room was in fact available for that night but it is a noisy room and you would hear the band. I also explained you were right over it however, if you prefered you could still have the quiet single. You chose the Triple room saying it would be easier. I said if at anytime during the evening you change your mind speak to the girl in the bar. I even gave you her name.
All our single bed have been replaced in the last month to very good quality Slumberland beds. As for the the bathrooms, yes, some of them are dated but we are trying to work our way through replacing them, as you can imagine this is very costly, but we have managed to get quite a few changed. We are a 2* hotel and our costs do reflect this.
Reviewed February 11, 2011

Paid £75 for a twin room and this has to be one of the worst hotels I have had to stay in.
On arrival I wasmade to wait over 10 mins for one of the bar staff to notice I was waiting and was not the most pleasant of people when he did come and finaly deal with my booking.
Room was from the 70's, felt unclean and the bathroom was ...........
Breakfast the next morning was not better as we were in a rush and asked for a bacon and egg sandwich, ended up with eeg and bacon on a plate and we were told the hotel do not do take-aways!
Avoid!!!!!!

Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank jacko042
RAYLEIGH
Reviewed January 14, 2011

I stayed here on biz and was dismayyed to hear revellers partying until 3am. this was terrible as i had a meeting in nearby Wickford at 9am in the morning.

I got very little sleep

Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank REVIEWKING7878
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2010

We are 40 and ahve a 22 year old daughter who stayed in the family room. Although room was dated it was clean, plenty towels,warm,quiet and comfortable. Bring your own toiletries ie shampoo conditioner etc, as it only has basic soap dispensers.Only downside was the poor quality beds, old spring bases and matresses. Great location in town centre for all shops various takeaways within 300 metres.Staff friendly and helpful and provided a decent service. Breakfast was a good standard and had from cerials to the full english available. Parking right outside free. Paid £69 for bb inclusive for all of us. Total Value for money. AA two star registered would stay again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chelmsford
Travelodge Chelmsford Hotel
#3 of 12 in Chelmsford
The Chichester Hotel
The Chichester Hotel
#2 of 2 in Wickford

Been to The Oakland Hotel Ltd? Share your experiences!