“Afternoon Tea”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We went to the County Hotel as a surprise birthday present for my mum's birthday, the sandwiches and cakes looked and tasted amazing. I was especially pleased how you catered for my dietary requirements. Mr McGregor who served us was very helpful.

I only have one criticism , the area where we first sat down. I didn’t think the main lounge bar area was the appropriate place to have afternoon tea as there seemed to be business meetings going on and we were sat down right in the middle of them. I asked if we could be moved, though it did feel like we had asked for the impossible! Eventually we were moved into the restaurant, right by the window which was much better and definitely made my mum’s birthday more enjoyable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Billericay, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We recently held a Ladies Festival in the Hotel Ballroom. During the planning and organisation of the function I was in constant communication with the sales manager who assisted us with the organisation of the event in an efficient and proffessional manner and accomodated all our requests.
During the evening event the catering team were very professional and gave us an outstanding service.The meal was delicious and they catered for our every need.
Would recommend holding any function/event at the County Hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Windsor, UK
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel and everything about it was good, the staff were extremely welcoming, friendly, but at the same time professional. Our room was lovely, a very good size, clean and tidy as well as cosy and not too corporate. Finally the food was great, a very good lunch time bar menu, our evening meal was delicious and breakfast the following day was "lip-smacking" with a superb choice. - Would certainly pay another visit. - Jan C

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
windsor
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We arrived at noon and an excellant lunch in the bar. Our Premium room was very large with an extremly comfortable bed and spacious bathroom.
Staff were always helpful and breakfast was top class,
Would recommend and will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Treat yourself and upgrade to a premium , it's worth it !
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Vaasa, Finland
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I was visiting Chelmsford for business and picked the County Hotel purely based on location. It was pouring down when I arrived to Chelmsford railway station so I was rather happy that the hotel was only a short walk away. I was greeted by a very kind staff member but my joy was short lived when she told me my room was on the second floor and there is no elevator. The staircase was rather narrow and of corse covered in carpeting which made me less than happy trying to drag my rather extensive luggage to my room. The room was oldish but neat. The bathroom had one of those sinks where there is one tap for cold water and another one for hot (not warm) one. Not a huge fan. The bed was however big and comfy so after I managed to somehow wash my face in the sink I slept happily, only occasionally waking up to the sirens from outside. My favourite part was however the next morning and breakfast which was a lot nicer than I had expected with lots to choose from and a waiter asking you if they could make you some warm breakfast on top of the continental one. Okay quality for the price.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2013

WOW!! 3 Star Hotel with 5 Star Service. This is the first time I stayed at the County Hotel and I must say, this was impressive and unexpected. I travel a lot and have stayed in many hotels over the years but this has got me on trip advisor to let others know about this gem. The welcome when we arrive was pleasant and warm. The room was very nice, clean and spacious with a brilliant WiFi to top it all up. And then there was the food. Started with homemade terrine which was to die for, followed by a rib eye steak, cooked exactly as I asked and I completed my meal with a Baileys Creme Brulée, HEAVEN is all I can say. All I have to say is this, if you are in Chelmsford, give it a try, it's worth it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
bristol
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We booked a premium room (no 37) and we were extremely please with it. It was lovely large room, clean and up to date, with an large bathroom. Tea and coffee facilities with fresh milk in the fridge. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

We would definitely stay there again. The Nepalese restaurant nearby The Everest Gurkha was also excellent.

Room Tip: Room 37 was lovely - corner room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple