“Comfortable and convenient”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Comfortable and convenient”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is a small hotel in the main street a few minutes walk from the train station, the County Hall and the centre of town. It provides a warm welcome. I did not eat in the restaurant, but I was asked if I would like to eat as soon as I arrived, which was hospitable. I had a very heavy suitcase with me and was given a room on the second floor, but the lift only goes as far as the first floor. I had a single room, which was adequately sized, nicely decorated and clean, with a double bed. All the rooms are non-smoking and my room was quiet. The room and bed were comfortable. It had a clean, modern en-suite bathroom with a very powerful shower. I had a drink in the bar late at night. The service was very friendly and there was a good selection of interesting local ales.
The corridors leading to the rooms have many fire doors that need painting, as they look damaged and shabby. Some of the carpet on the corridors looked stained and they are worn on some of the stairs.
Breakfast was served in the restaurant, which is a bright modern, smart room. The continental breakfast was a standard affair, but very satisfactory, with friendly service. There is a full English breakfast available. This is a hotel that is suitable for a short stay for a business trip, or if touring the area.

Room Tip: If you need it, the lift only reaches the first floor. All the rooms are non-smoking.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Poole
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I stayed 1 night at your hotel on Wednesday 23rd October booked into a Premium Room and was very happy on my arrival to find I had been upgraded to one of your Suites.

The room was lovely and comfortable with everything I needed and much much more.

The bed was large and comfortable with bathrobes for "him & her" .
The bathroom was sublime with a bath and separate shower and large fluffy white towels.
The main living area had a large comfy sofa, dining table and a large flat screen TV and the complimentary fruit and coffee was lovely.

Air-con kept the room lovely and cool so I could close the lovely big bay windows, my only suggestion would be that as my room was on the road some sort of net curtains or blinds would have been nice to have some extra privacy so not having to close the curtains.

I always enjoy staying at the County Hotel and will be booking in again very soon.

Room Tip: Premium rooms are the best and ofcause the Suites which aren't that much more.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Honiton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Had a nice meeting at the County Hotel Chelmsford yesterday with the ETA, they certainly looked after us well, The breakfast was good as was Lunch the Sea Bream was perfect, thank you Chef. Very helpfull had to look up the traffic report on the M25 and also required a charger for my mobile, both supplied immediately.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Having spent another day at The County Hotel (Chelmsford), with a group of fellow Toastmasters, who are all hyper critical of service and quality, can safely say that the service and the quality of the food was as good as ever.
Normally corporate hires can expect a standard offering/package. The breakfast and lunch were presented beautifully and tasted delicious. Any dietary requirements were provided for (almost unasked for) and the room set up, the unobtrusive service (thanks to Stuart and Mark) and the ease of booking and organising the day (many thanks to Karen) made it so easy to book and organise.

Every member of our Association attending the meeting gave 100% feedback!

The Christmas party nights look like they offer the same excellent service and delicious food - not to mention great staff that perhaps an ETA social evening may be on the cards!

Would I book again? Really - do you need to ask?

Essex, London, England, UK
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Attended a conference at the County hotel where we were given a really poor buffet offering.
We decided (unfortunately) to stay for a meal before leaving, we mistakenly presumed that the meals could only get better and swiftly ordered 3 meals from the bar.
The female member of staff was unhelpful and did not inspire confidence that we had made the right choice in staying for food.
The food came in good time (not fast but in a proportionate amount of time that should have allowed the food to be prepared to a good standard).
I was absolutely appalled at what had been dumped onto the plate.
Gammon that was really bitty and seemed to be filled with gristle, chips that had obviously been part fried and by the taste of them I wouldn't have been surprised if they were left overs from the day before. The eggs were ok. Unfortunately I had to drain the oil from my plate as the food was swimming in the oil and grease. It was really bad. How can any restaurant go wrong with gammon egg and chips??!!!
My friend also opted for the gammon and the other friend had a prawn wrap served with crisps and some sort of salad garnish that looked far from fresh.
3 meals for £35.
I have tasted better at Mcdonalds.
Really really bad food. When I called the manager the day after apologies were offered but no offer of a refund or apology gesture. Again really bad.
In a city where there are lots of choices for good food you deserve to go out of business.
Go elsewhere for food people.
It really was VERY bad.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank ALITTLESWEETIE80
Halstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We were looking for somewhere at short notice for a New Years Eve do, somewhere that we could dance and eat and generally have a good laugh. The four of us ( 2 couples) are aged between 50 - 59, but would like to add ' young at heart' The meal was ok nothing to grand but generally good. The people around us seemed older but were all having a great time, there was a lot of laughter which I love! After the meal the music got going and we danced for most of the night, so many people on the dance floor it was a good fun night, ok helped with a few vodka's. We had booked 2 double rooms so we just had to head upstairs. Our room was a bit basic and I would not of wanted to stay more than the one night, although our booking was last miunte so I cannot comment on the rest of the rooms. On the upside the breakfast was very good one of the best I have had a UK hotel. I would go back for another New Years Eve dinner/dance just for the fun factor.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Checked into the county for a wedding in nearby leez abbey. Parking at the rear is free but a bit chaotic. Spaces are not clearly marked and cars are all over the place. There is a small lift to the first floor which is fine but if you are on the 2 nd floor there can be quite a long walk with plenty of stairs. Place is like a maize but it is very well signed . The room was one of the more expensive ones and was quite nice but not the cleanest I've stayed in. You could write your name in the dust on the blinds . There were several lamps (bedside etc) in the room but many of them lacked bulbs so couldn't be used. White robes were provided but they had some very dubious stains in the back so we left well alone. On arrival we had to send for toilet rolls because the one in the room was almost completely used. Beds were comfortable and a decent bath and shower. Staff were very helpful and friendly. . The resturant was a saving grace. We ate there twice and even though it was quiet the food was very good . Not cheap but worth every penny. A very good selection of wine too. Breakfast was very good too with a choice of continental or full English. (Not included in the bill). The bar area is pleasant and I'm told can get very busy some nights. All in all the hotel was a little bit of a disappointment but the resturant managed to save the day. This place is also just ten mins walk from the town centre. I think this hotel has been down graded from a four star to a three . A lot of the carpets are lookin a bit old and need replacing.

Room Tip: Choose a first floor room as some of the 2nd floor rooms can have quite a long walk.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family