“In a word- fantastic”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“In a word- fantastic”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I recently took my dad, step mum and boyfriend out for dinner at fifty-nine new street to celebrate a new job for myself and their 13th wedding anniversary. We were all frequent visitors to when it was the hothouse but always had so much to complain about such as the fact it was dark, cramped, smelly and damp not to mention the toilets! So we were all so very pleasantly surprised with the gorgeous decor and fantastic new layout. We were shown to our table by a lovely waitress who took our drinks orders. My dad is a beer drinker and didn't recognise the beers they had, so the waitress very kindly let him taste both before he ordered one and thoroughly enjoyed it. Reading through the menu it was obviously a very well put together menu with mouthwatering choices. My boyfriend and dad both ordered the duck, my step mum ordered the trout and I had the chicken. When the food came out it was presented beautifully and the plates were nice and warm (pet hate is cold plates). My chicken was cooked to perfection and all the accompanying items complimented it perfectly. It was such high quality food and tasted amazing. I tried a bit of all the dishes and can honestly say they were all without fault, I could have ordered any and been happy. The waitress checked on us and was genuinely interested in how we were finding our food and that was a lovely touch as normally they swipe by and ask because they have to, whereas she took her time to make sure there was nothing else she could do. Dessert was chocolate fondant pudding and my step mum had the salted caramel dessert and both were once again presented perfectly. They were both made to an amazing standard and you could taste the high quality ingredients and it felt like such a treat. We were all talking about how fantastic the food was for the rest of the evening! We finished up, settled the bill (which in my opinion was spot on for what we had experienced for the food let alone the atmosphere and service) and used the lovely clean loos before making an exit. Overall, I can't think of a single place in or around Chelmsford that could have made our evening anymore special. Food was A class and I can't wait to go back to try some new dishes from their ever changing, beautiful menus.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Laurendance

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Dissapointed”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Went for lunch with two dear friends - disappointed that they couldn't provide just smoked salmon for our friend considering one of the starters was smoked salmon with cream cheese, so she had nothing.
Then I had ordered lamb for my main (my favourite) it arrived - not pink but raw! Told waitress - she took it away - a new plate arrived (impressive) new lot of potatoes and Yorkshire pudding but the meat from original dinner obviously zapped in a microwave. Now Tasteless and hard! Left it and told waitress - was not taken off bill!
Desert great - chocolate fondant
I had lunch with fiancé during half term which was amazing, which is wht I had booked Sunday lunch- so had booked Sunday- l won't go back again for Sunday lunch - restaurant cold - no atmos - nicer at The Lion Inn.
Had booked to go again with friends on 30th November - seriously considering cancelling.

2 Thank Gwen J
London, United Kingdom
“We'll be back!”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Like the other reviewers, we used to go to this place when it was the Hothouse, and it has been totally transformed. We dropped in for coffee in the morning, and to book a table, and one of the owners and his daughter were lovely, and made us feel very welcome. They made room for us that evening, and we got there early for a cocktail. By then the place was buzzing, with live music (think Ed Sheeran). The food was delicious, with some unusual combinations of fish with meat which work well. I had halibut, my favourite fish, and it was perfect.Again we were made to feel very welcome, service was excellent, and we had good advice on the wine choice (it was good to see a decent wine list in Chelmsford!). If I have one criticism - the music from the bar is a tad loud for customers in the restaurant - I would turn it down a bit for diners. But we will definitely return.

1 Thank Tricia W
essex
“great makeover and awesome food :-)”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We used to frequent the old Hothouse and this is our first visit to the location since the makeover. The place has been spruced up, opened up and painted white.
The food was absolutely spot on: my scallops with ham hock were perfectly cooked, melt in the mouth. My husband's pulled lamb was tender and delicious. For mains I had the best trout I have ever tasted, with quinoa. Husband had pumpkin risotto which he confessed was "almost as good as mine"!! I had a espresso dessert martini & he had beautiful pannacotta. Add in an acoustic set by the very talented Kieran eldridge which set a relaxed atmosphere and it was a night to remember. Not the cheapest place but the food and atmosphere made up for it. The waiting staff were very friendly and helpful. Even the loos were good! Thank you 59 New Street!

Chelmsford, England, United Kingdom
“Superior dining!”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

A very stylish interior, with amazing food, the best i have had in Chelmsford, and beautifully presented, The staff are extremely friendly, nothing too much trouble, cocktails amazing too! Definitely visiting again soon

• Visited October 2013