“Fab food, passionate chef/owner!”
Review of The Eagle

The Eagle
Ranked #156 of 384 Restaurants in Chelmsford
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Eagle is a grade II traditional pub, situated in the village of Galleywood, close to Chelmsford.
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Great food, Philip really does show his passion and we do love going back - although the price is a little high for us to go as often as we'd like. Service usually very good although was average to poor on one occasion (the one time I brought my family too!) - typical! The steak is to die for and it may not look like you get served much but it is definitely filling - and I'm a good eater! Def. recommend!

Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is not the first time we have eaten at The Eagle, but the first time the quality of the beer has matched that of the food.

The food: We shared three starters (the scallops and black pudding are to die for) and the two adults had the beef, one of the kids had pork and the other pasta (into which the chef put a healthy portion of salmon). The sticky toffee pudding (well the small amount I managed to steal from my son before he scoffed the lot ) was moist, sweet and full of flavour and hot chocolate sauce on ice-cream just yum. It's lovely to be able to go to a pub which will give the kids proper food when asked, and not just the normal sausages, chips, pizza etc.

The beer: We chose Burntwood Bitter and Giant Haystacks (which I'd not heard of before) which was light, golden and at 4.1 abv a good strength for me.

The service: Friendly and helpful. We were told that a new beef joint would not be ready for about 40mins and when we said we both like rare beef they were happy to serve it pink. It was thick cut, tender and possibly the best roast beef I've eaten out. We took the kids outside to run around under the horse chestnut between courses, and the staff came out to tell us when our food was ready. When each course was served we were asked if there was anything else we needed, and when it was cleared we were asked if all was ok.

All in all a wonderful afternoon. Just feel I need to walk a few miles now to work it all off.

2  Thank tania_bunny
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

The Eagle is a lovely find in Chelmsford. Food excellent and so is the service. One of the better options of pubs serving food in the area.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

The Eagle staff are always welcoming, friendly and well versed in local things to do.
The menu is varied and I always have too many choices to select from.
Owner, Philip likes you to love his food, you can tell every meal is served with passion.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

A great meal with friends. Menu well put together and food as always very fresh and extremely tasty.