“Ignored”

Cherry on Top
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Came to Chelmsford having been away for several years and felt delighted to see an independent tea shop. Keen to support local trade I went in with my friend and was very disappointed. When we asked if they were still serving their lunchtime menu at 2.30, we were told rather abruptly 'sandwiches only'. Then when we went to the till to place our order, we were kept waiting for ten minutes. The serving staff we directly in front of us, made eye contact and did not even say anything to acknowledge us or politely ask us to wait a moment while they finished their last job. After far too long we decided to leave without placing an order. They need to improve their customer service or else the high street will be completely taken over by coffee shop chains as Cherry on Top is not setting a good example for independent coffee shops and letting down Chelmsford.

2  Thank Reviewer5097

Reviewed June 7, 2013

My friend and I thought that this shop would make a lovely difference to the usual coffee shop/cafe and as it looked nice and the cake selection was good, we thought we would give it a go.

And then we looked at the menu. Firstly, a shop at these prices should have proper waiting staff and not make you order yourself at the desk. Secondly we were looked at disparagingly by the staff as soon as we walked in because we did not adhere to their 'order before you sit down' rule - obviously not knowing about this rule, or being directed by any staff. Nor did the 'this table is for parties of 3/4 between the hours of 12.30 - 4.30' note on the table, nor the 'do not park your buggies here' sign (in a perfectly good discreet corner area) make us feel at ease.

We decided to go for cake and tea because the prices for hot food were quite high, scrambled egg on toast is a whopping £4 but found that there was yet another sign on the till telling us the card machine was out of order. After queuing to find this out, it was a big let down. We asked a staff member to check if it was definitely not working, she looked at me like I was piss. We left.

Too many bossy signs, not enough friendly staff. Skinny versions of the cakes might also be good but sadly, we never got to try.

1  Thank Lauren K
Reviewed May 24, 2013

This is a favourite meeting place for a mid shop coffee. The selection of cakes is amazing and the coffee is always good. Lunch options are tasty with seating outside for the (few) days when the weather is behaving....

Reviewed May 22, 2013

For a couple of years, I have been visiting the Cherry on Top at least once a month, whether it be with family, girlfriends, a range of people, it's the place that will meet all needs.
The Cherry on top offer hot and cold meals, I would class it as the type of place to go for a spot of lunch or just a drink and a chat with friends. The cakes are just nothing short of amazing and you get a great sized slice of cake too. They do milkshakes, a range of drinks. The tea-room itself gets very busy and can be very cramped at times. I think that whilst some of the staff can be very helpful, others don't deal so well under pressure and this does show in the service you receive at times- A comment that others have mentioned to me also. Due to the fact that it is rather popular, don't expect this to be the type of place that you can spend time without feeling a tad hurried! ;)... if you love cake, it shouldn't matter too much though!

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We popped in to Cherry on Top for a quick lunch after work. The cafe is very well presented, with interesting wall art and lots to look at.

We opted for a sandwich with a side of chips, cream tea and it was huge. The sandwich was made fresh, with a delightful mayonnaise. The side salad was fresh and complimented the sandwich nicely.

Cream tea is a must, huge scones, plenty of jam (with strawberry chunks), clotted cream and butter.

I would definitely recommend a visit if only for the cream tea and excellent service.