“Bit of a let down”

Cherry on Top
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 12, 2013

This cafe has very nice decor and the cakes are amazing however it is completely let down by the staff. They are miserable and unhelpful. Service is slow and unorganised. It wouldn't take much to make this place fantastic but i'm not sure anyone working there can really be bothered!

1  Thank whatalovely

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We were found a table very quickly but then sat for ages waiting to be served. It was by chance that I noticed other customers ordering at the bar. Would be better to tell you this beforehand. We were both going to have the Fish Cakes but when ordering at the bar I saw a specials board (this also could be mentioned) on which was Smoked Salmon and Prawn Risotto so we had one of each and shared them. Both really delicious. Real fish - not mush with too much potato - superb creamy risotto. No time for dessert as we had sat for too long before ordering. Good value for money to get cooked to order food. One comment - friends of mine had been for Sunday lunch - very good, but nothing for vegetarians other than a salad, quiche or pasta. Good Luck, will certainly go again and recommend it.

1  Thank Risally
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Had been here before for Sunday Lunch, which was lovely, so went back yesterday with a friend for lunch. I left feeling a bit embarrassed that I had recommended it. The cakes are amazing but unfortunately the other food and service let it down. We waited a long time for our sandwiches to be brought over to us, we could see them sitting on the side ready, but everyone was too busy chatting. Two people walked past them and ignored them to do other things like wrap stuff in cling film. They were eventually brought over by an older English lady with short blonde hair, who was the most miserable person I have ever been served by. The sandwiches are expensive for what they are, I expected nicer bread, not just plain old Hovis for 6 quid a sandwich. I probably wont go back again now unless it is just for the cakes, and will not recommend, which is a shame.

2  Thank jade83
Reviewed February 25, 2013

It's open on a Sunday! which is brilliant because all the other cute tea rooms in chelmsford are shut, came for teas, cakes and coffee and the cakes were gorgeous and cute crockery too, LIKE.

1  Thank Brightside_12
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Came here with the family for breakfast and sat upstairs because all the tables downstairs were full.

The first thing I'd say was that upstairs smells of stale cooking. I think they need to improve their extractor fans, this is really off putting.
We ordered breakfasts, Full English, Eggs Benedict and Tomatoes on Toast. All the eggs were hard, I think they'd been sitting around in the kitchen.
The orange juice automatically came with loads of ice which I hate, it wouldn't be hard to ask the customer what they'd prefer.
We asked for two eggs and ended up with 3 each but I think the person on the till just got confused.

On the plus side the rest of the breakfast, including tea, was fine.

Sort out the eggs, it could be the best breakfast in Chelmsford, and get rid of the greasy spoon smell because this is a real problem and we saw one family sit down and then leave almost immediately.