“Dont expect a good nights rest!!!”

Best Western Atlantic Hotel
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Chelmsford
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I had an early start (had to leave by 05.45) followed by a long day so wanted to get a good night’s sleep, should have slept in the car!!!

First challenge was how to get into the car park, I stay in a lot of hotels and work in the security industry in the end had to dump the car and go and ask the staff.

Check in was OK for me but the lady before me had a young child (about 7) and a large case and when informed she was on the first floor and there was no lift!! She was left to struggle up the stairs with a large case and a tired child.

Room was OK for what I paid (hence 2 out of 5) from about 9 PM it started, drunken idiots banging ion doors, doors slamming, shouting and it didn’t stop (not the same people) all night.
My guess is that the hotel attracts this type of client, when I expressed my disappointment to the receptionist he said he had spoken to them (obviously didn’t do much good) and blamed some boxing match in London!!! He [the receptionist] also stunk of booze.

I also had to turn of some sort of aircon/heater in the room which was massively noisy.

I should qualify that I am not a light sleeper or sensitive to “normal” noise but this is without doubt the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed in.

I had room service which was OK although the lentil soup left something to be desired.

I would have expected more of a Best Western

Room Tip: Don't book without a sleep quality Gurantee!!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Sandy B
There are newer reviews for Best Western Atlantic Hotel

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Have been staying here now for a few nights a week on business over last few weeks with a few more visits to come. Found hotel to be very good indeed. I read some of the comments prior to my visit and agree with the majority that the staff are very friendly and the food in the restaurant is well priced and of a good standard. Room was bigger than average and well equipped. Check in/out quick and painless and front of house staff very approachable and polite. Minor criticism is that the main stairwell carpet and decor is a bit jaded and the corridors a bit dark- but that is the only criticism i have. Additional plus points lots of towels, shower is very good and the room was very clean. I spend a lot of nights away in the south east and London areas and have to say that this is one of the better hotels i have stayed in.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed here for one night with a friend after attending a wedding nearby.
The service was great, the reception staff helpful and check-in was quick.
The room itself was clean and comfortable but considering the rate it was a lot more basic than I would have expected. We actually paid a reduced rate due to the wedding but I think the normal rate is pretty extortionate for what you get- I'm going to compare this to a Premier Inn again, as I do feel they set the bar with basic hotel stays but very reasonable rates. This was very similar to a Premier Inn, but double the price.
The walls must have been paper thin as you could hear every noise in what seemed like every room along the corridor. It was hard to sleep due to babies crying, birds outside, people moving around, doors banging.. but the beds were comfy at least!
Breakfast was very average but again the staff were attentive and helpful.
I've said it before and I'll say it again- for this type of travel, you're best of just going for a Premier Inn!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed 4 nights. I booked a single but was upgraded to a double room when I checked in. The room was very basic but clean and adequate. The first night was quiet, but my room was on the first floor near reception and I could hear people coming and going at all hours. The staff were great-very helpful. The restaurant has amazingly good food.

Room Tip: Don't get a first floor room near reception. The noise from outside the hotel with people coming...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Only stayed for the one night for business and had to leave the very next day. Friendly staff and modern looking inside. Would definitely recommend. Not much to do in Chelmsford though, but the room and hotel made it a very comfortable stay.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ossie k
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Found the hotel very comfortable, I had an exec room which had a massive bed and was spacious. The heating system let it down as it was rather noisey, after turning it off I had a great nights sleep. Breakfast was spot on. Dont let the AA 3 star put you off.

Room Tip: Access is not clear, you will see a barrier as you approach the side of the hotel, this is the entra...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed here recently with my husband for a romantic birthday weekend. We were given a free upgrade to a room on 2 levels which was absolutely amazing. There is so much space and unless you have a fear or heights we can highly recommend staying in these rooms. Not knowing the area very well, the receptionist, diana i think her name was, was very helpful and informative and gave great advise on where to visit. A great weekend was had. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple