“Receptionist made our Weekend!”

Best Western Atlantic Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Chelmsford
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We stayed at the Atlantic Hotel last weekend for a friend's wedding and even though the check in time is not until 3pm, Jenny the receptionist when we checked in at 11am let us into the room right away and with a smile! That's what I call helpful, great customer care. Thank you so much for making our lives so much easier. We stayed in a Executive room and this was simply fabulous: Nice king size bed, the coffee machine makes real nice coffee, if like me you hate the instant stuff this is perfect. My husband loved the Ipod docking station and played us his favorite music for us - quite romantic actually. Before we left for the wedding we had to ask Jenny to help us again and book us a taxi to the venue, she did so with her natural and very helpful manner. Over breakfast we noticed how the staff helped the elderly guests and families with small children. The quality was good over all although being picky I think there's room for improvement, to be more specific the juices offered need to be a bit more natural... not the "from concentrated". As I said: I'm just picky. I would stay at this hotel again if ever in Chelmsford again and would recommend to friends and family.

Room Tip: Book the Executive room for the extras
2  Thank Cberesford

Reviewed August 1, 2011

I am glad a read a previous trip advisor report about the car park barrier - just drive up to it an it opens. I found the hotel OK and was welcomed nicely.

The room was clean, and very pleasant, with chairs and a good desk. Unfortunately, trouble started here with the WiFi. WiFi is important for my business, and even when I asked for the password, could not connect. After a time, I went to reception with my laptop and connected instantly - ie there was nothing wrong with my laptop. Returned to room but still no connection (even though there was a strong signal). Eventually the receptionist reset the routers and WiFi worked for about 5 mins.

The solution was to move room. Fortunately, it was only a one night stay so we did not have too much lugguage. At all times the receptionist was very helpful, but it was a waste of an hour. This should not have happened. I think the new room was a slightly higher grade one with a King size bed. WiFi worked OK.

The next problem was just after midnight. Was sound asleep with window slightly open. It was a hot evening and air con was very loud. Two parties of guests came back and stood outside in the courtyard smoking, and 'shouting' for about 15 mins. I like the British law on no smoking, but the solution of a smoking area just outside is not the best solution. Also, no one on the management seem to quieten down the noise.

Breakfast was a very high standard for a buffet and service was good.

If it wasn't for the WiFi and noise I would give the hotel 4 stars

Reviewed July 27, 2011

After living in Chelmsford for over 4 years I had no idea this hotel even existed. And now I know why.

Hard to find the hotel, nearly drove past it. Upon entering the car park I still didn't think it was a hotel, looks very much like a 80's care home from the outside. Upon entering the hotel it did look nice. When trying to book on-line it wouldn't accept my card as they where having trouble with NatWest debit cards. When trying to book on-line it had a non-smoking / smoking preference room. When checking in I asked the receptionist if there was any smoking rooms available, as I thought it may have them if it gave the option on-line. The look I got from her would have killed me if looks could kill, and a firm response of, this is a non smoking hotel prompting me to reply well that's me told.

Check in was smooth, and quick. I had my laptop under my arm and was asked will we need a password for the wifi ?! Well it appears I would !! This hotel did not have any lifts and we had ALOT of luggage which was hard to get up the stairs. The stairs where absolutely filthy and obviously hadn't been hoovered for weeks. The paint work on the doors was all chipped and just needed a damn good clean.

When walking to our room the corridor had a 'blue' theme. Bright LED lamps made the whole corridor look brothel like. It reminded me of the toilets at work to stop people injecting themselves.

The room itself was okay, and bearable for a night. I promptly affixed the do not disturb sign on the hook on the outside of the door. The room had a large TV and one of the best irons I have yet to find in a hotel. The A/C machine is useless just a noisy racket, I had to open the window which opens inwards, upon doing this I was greeted by the chef in full uniform smoking a cig ? At my work we have to change into civilian cloths and make sure our hands are washed and breath spray applied.

There is no bench outside for people who do wish to smoke.

When my partner was showering and he got out the door swung open to be greeted by the maid who seemed to ignore the do not disturb sign and just grunt at us and turn her head up, no apology. Nothing.

As it happens we needed to stay longer but the price would be £90 a night. So we checked out and now in a better hotel for an extra few days.

I would stay away from this hotel. The attitude of the staff is dire and unless you need jabs for work i worry you wont be immune from the filth of this little delight !

Room Tip: Make sure you have a strong immune system !
2  Thank whatyouseewhatyouget
beth_bruce, General Manager at Best Western Atlantic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2011

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your feedback on tripadvisor, based on your comments we can continue to improve our product and service.
We are extremely disappointed with these comments and genuinely believe it does not in any way reflect our standards. We have over 1,000 guests each month who are extremely positive about their experiences and truly love the contemporary feel and décor of the hotel. Many of our regular guests regard us as their home away from home.
We are a non-smoking hotel and don’t currently offer option for smoking or non-smoking rooms however we do offer designated smoking areas located front and side of the hotel where you can enjoy the benefit of our patio furniture to sit down.
I have addressed your comments about staff smoking and we have worked out an improvement plan.
You also mentioned wanting to extend your stay with us but didn’t do so because of the room rate change, I can explain that you were booked on a promotional weekend only rate which doesn’t extend into weekdays I’m afraid.

I sincerely hope you give us a second chance and come back to the Atlantic Hotel to enjoy our courteous service.

Many Thanks
Kind Regards
Ricardo Santa-Rita

Reviewed July 11, 2011

We stayed for one night to attend a friends wedding party and I have absolutely no complaints about this hotel.
Check in was quick, friendly and professional and the room was spacious , clean and had a huge double bed.
The welcome pack sets that guest can use the Fitness First Gym next door free of charge , which would have been nice if we had stayed longer.
Would definitely stay again if I was in the area.

1  Thank DaniPutney_London
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed for a week found it to be warm and welcoming with nice rooms. I was advised not to eat here but thought id give them a chance. Ok good service although my food was cold and looked as if it was passed through a meat grinder. This was not good at all and didn't dare chance eating there again!

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Benson2011
Reviewed March 6, 2011

A great hotel with great value for money. Got room for £62 which is only marginally above what the Travelodge were charging for same night. Lovely modern and comfortable rooms, free WIFI. Excellent service. Only 10 min walk to the station and town centre. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank owajon
Reviewed October 18, 2010

room was clean and spacious, lots of extras iron, hairdrier, tea/coffee etc. large flat screen tv with freeview. Bed was comfortable but not very big for a double, duvet only just covered the bed. Bathroom was clean with small shampoo and shower gel bottle. towles were soft and big. i cannot comment on the food as i never used the hotel restaurant but it doesnt serve sunday lunchtime.
this hotel is on par with a premier inn.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank NorfolkFenman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chelmsford
Premier Inn Chelmsford City Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Chelmsford (Springfield) Hotel
Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel
Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel
#1 of 1 in Margaretting

Been to Best Western Atlantic Hotel? Share your experiences!