“Best in Chelmsford”

Ranked #35 of 371 Restaurants in Chelmsford
Cuisines: French, Italian, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated in the quaint alleyways infront of Chelmsford Cathedral. The Wine Cellar is a unique and stylish place....providing first class food and wine menu. We also offer Boutique Beers allowing you to travel around the world with our unique selection of Worldwide beers.
Essex
“Best in Chelmsford”
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Been a regular for many years but has upgraded itself again. Good food, good service and great atmosphere and it is not a national chain. Recommended.

Billericay, United Kingdom
“Highly recommend - Fantastic food as standard!”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Go here so often - almost a regular! Never been disappointed with the food. Brilliant value and variety. Always fresh ingredients and good quality meat/fish. Would recommend the Vegetarian night even though I'm a fully fledged meat eater!
Friendly staff and excellent service. Wide variety and will cater for almost anything.
Have even been for a work Christmas meal and they easily accommodated our large group with all the food coming out at the same - not an easy feat with only 1 chef!
Always something new to try dessert wise - the cheesecake is heavenly.
A must-try, hidden gem!

• Visited January 2013
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Brilliant!”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I am a fussy eater and was rather unsure how i would cope eating a traditional english dinner on a work night out.
However the chef prepared a meal completely separate to everything else on the menu that i had specified. It was delicious and i was able to enjoy my evening.
All my colleagues also had superb food for the evening and we had a wonderful time :-)

• Visited December 2012
Havana, Cuba
“Fell at final hurdle”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Firstly I must state that I wanted this place to pass my review with flying colours but it failed big style at the final hurdle & very lucky not to get a terrible 1*rating......here goes then.

First impressions
Tucked away around the corner near the catherderal and as the name of the place it's downstairs in a cellar, warm welcoming cosy looking bistro.
Shown to my table promptly by a welcoming waiteress.

Starters
Ginger & Honey chicken skewers with chilli dip
Good wholesome proper succulent chicken, The sweetness of the honey was there but not enough warmth from the ginger.

Mains
Lambs liver wrapped in bacon, with a choice of mash (Wholegrain Mustard) and gravy.
Nicely cooked liver and good proper mash potatoes, I chose an oaked Chiliean red wine with this meal and on that basis then the meal became smokey (with bacon & mustard) but saying that it was a good tasty meal.

Desert
Oh failure at the very highest degree...
Ordered a mixed berry creme brulee', Came out in an impressive terracotta dish with little fruits on the side dusted with icing sugar.
Creme brulee' is traditionally served cold....this damn thing came out of either a furnance or the essex volcano, A sign of a good creme brulee' is the crack of the brown sugar and the smoothness of the cream, well I got neither probably spoilt by the sheer heat of the dish.
I took one mouthful and that was enough as I.....wait for it............began to fish out two white stiff hairs from my throat which was in the mouthful, I placed then onto the black napkin and pushed the desert to the side.
The waitress came over and asked me if everything was ok, I told her of my findings in which she initally apologised and took the napkin to the barman, She came back & told me I was mistaken and that it was crystalised sugar strands....What utter tosh.......
I couldn't be asked to argue with her and left very very disapointed, what could have been a pleasent experience turned out to be a shambolic one.

Try elsewhere if you want decent honest service who listen's to the customer.

• Visited November 2012
Essex
“Quirky Little Place!!”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

What a lovely friendly little place, we had lunch, this was our second visit and was as excellent as the first. Great luch menu with a few specials on the board, excellent prices. One of our party only wanted a sandwich but it came with side salad and a few chips on the side!! Really cosy place to dine with a very friendly atmosphere and excellent staff. Will be back soon...

• Visited November 2012