“Brilliant!”

Ranked #35 of 373 Restaurants in Chelmsford
Cuisines: French, Italian, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Situated in the quaint alleyways infront of Chelmsford Cathedral. The Wine Cellar is a unique and stylish place....providing first class food and wine menu. We also offer Boutique Beers allowing you to travel around the world with our unique selection of Worldwide beers.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Brilliant!”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I am a fussy eater and was rather unsure how i would cope eating a traditional english dinner on a work night out.
However the chef prepared a meal completely separate to everything else on the menu that i had specified. It was delicious and i was able to enjoy my evening.
All my colleagues also had superb food for the evening and we had a wonderful time :-)

• Visited December 2012

Havana, Cuba
“Fell at final hurdle”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Firstly I must state that I wanted this place to pass my review with flying colours but it failed big style at the final hurdle & very lucky not to get a terrible 1*rating......here goes then.

First impressions
Tucked away around the corner near the catherderal and as the name of the place it's downstairs in a cellar, warm welcoming cosy looking bistro.
Shown to my table promptly by a welcoming waiteress.

Starters
Ginger & Honey chicken skewers with chilli dip
Good wholesome proper succulent chicken, The sweetness of the honey was there but not enough warmth from the ginger.

Mains
Lambs liver wrapped in bacon, with a choice of mash (Wholegrain Mustard) and gravy.
Nicely cooked liver and good proper mash potatoes, I chose an oaked Chiliean red wine with this meal and on that basis then the meal became smokey (with bacon & mustard) but saying that it was a good tasty meal.

Desert
Oh failure at the very highest degree...
Ordered a mixed berry creme brulee', Came out in an impressive terracotta dish with little fruits on the side dusted with icing sugar.
Creme brulee' is traditionally served cold....this damn thing came out of either a furnance or the essex volcano, A sign of a good creme brulee' is the crack of the brown sugar and the smoothness of the cream, well I got neither probably spoilt by the sheer heat of the dish.
I took one mouthful and that was enough as I.....wait for it............began to fish out two white stiff hairs from my throat which was in the mouthful, I placed then onto the black napkin and pushed the desert to the side.
The waitress came over and asked me if everything was ok, I told her of my findings in which she initally apologised and took the napkin to the barman, She came back & told me I was mistaken and that it was crystalised sugar strands....What utter tosh.......
I couldn't be asked to argue with her and left very very disapointed, what could have been a pleasent experience turned out to be a shambolic one.

Try elsewhere if you want decent honest service who listen's to the customer.

• Visited November 2012
Essex
“Quirky Little Place!!”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

What a lovely friendly little place, we had lunch, this was our second visit and was as excellent as the first. Great luch menu with a few specials on the board, excellent prices. One of our party only wanted a sandwich but it came with side salad and a few chips on the side!! Really cosy place to dine with a very friendly atmosphere and excellent staff. Will be back soon...

• Visited November 2012
Chelmsford Essex
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A hidden gem in Chelmsford!”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is now the third time we have eaten in this pub/bistro in the past few weeks. The service is second to none, staff are attentive, friendly and very knowledgable of the menu. The Wine Cellar is small and has a cosy ambience. The food is fantstic and we were told that our main course would take about 30 mins as it is coooked from fresh. This was fine as our starters arrived quickly and were gorgeous. It was very hard also to resist the desert menu! The prices for food are amazing, it makes an evening out really affordable...which is why we keep returning. There are so many nice touches too...I just love my table being reserved with my name written on a wine bottle! Pure class! And instead of boring foul after eight dinner mints given with our bill instead we were given childhood sweeties...we have booked a further two dates here, one being Xmas work do. This is an absolute must-visit even if it's just for a drink after work...you won't be disappointed.

• Visited October 2012
“Great Atmosphere, Food & Wine”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We arrived half an hour early and enjoyed some drinks at the bar before being welcomed by a lady who was our hostess for the evening, she was spot on, kept an eye on us but let us enjoy the evening. Food was to a high standard and the menu interesting. We rattled through a couple of bottles of wine, Chillian Pinot Noir & Chateauneuf Du Pape - 09. There is a good wine selection, although considering the name of the place perhaps there should be a larger wine selection, the better wines should also be kept in a cooler location. This is simply constructive criticism. I am full of praise for this place, keep up the good work.

• Visited October 2012