“Original currs combined with excellent service”

The Gurkha Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 376 Restaurants in Chelmsford
Cuisines: Asian, Indian, Nepali
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Visited here with my Wife on Good Friday evening in March. We booked a table after reading the great reviews on Tripadvisor. They could only fit us in at 8pm as we booked Friday afternoon. We could see why, as when we arrived the restaurant was packed.

We was quickly seated and served our drinks which we ordered. The service was very quick and efficient, with our starters being served less than 10 minutes after ordering. The same went for the mains and drinks even though they were very busy.

Now to the most important part, the food!. I have eaten in some amazing Indian restaurants around the country including some award winners. Whilst this restaurant can not compete with these it is a very good Indian based restaurant for the average high street. The food is Nepalese but has some of the Indian favourites. We wanted to try this restaurant for something different, outside of the usual Indian and we wasn't disappointed. The currys are defiantly different to your average Indian or Bangladeshi restaurant. The currys are very fragrant and fresh and do not taste like a ton of ghee has been used. For once we left the restaurant without feeling so bloated we couldn't breath.

I would thoroughly recommend this restaurant, especially if you are a curry lover. My wife only likes mild currys so is quite limited to what she chooses, however she said it was the best curry she has ever had.

We will be returning for sure, maybe even for a take away!

There are newer reviews for The Gurkha Restaurant

Reviewed April 1, 2013

After reading reviews on trip advisor thought we were in for a good night. Not so service absolutely appalling waited for forty mins for our table to become available, a further forty.five mins for our order to be taken. Food took for ever to arrive, mediocre at best. Needless to say we wont be returning.

1  Thank Susan1328
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed in Chelmsford for 2 nights. 1st night after checking Trip Advisor I went to this restaurant to find it packed. And I mean packed. Eventually I was told it was some kind of special charity night. Waitresses were lovely, friendly and traditionally dressed in saris. I got a takeaway to take back to my hotel (The County Hotel nearby). Chicken Birriani, some special veggie dish and a mint porrata. It was outrageously good and not expensive.

Next day I went back (yes it was that good). I planned to eat in. It was quiet. Too quiet and the lighting. Oh my God! It was like being in a tanning shop or a Las Vegas gaming arcade. I couldn't face eating here despite how lovely the staff were. I ordered a different takeaway. It was equally good.

If you eat here - and I strongly advise it - I suggest you wear sunglasses. Vuarnet ski glasses would be ideal!

1  Thank Donsafe
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We made our first visit to The Everest Gurkha last night after hearing rave reviews from our friends. We're certainly glad that we did.
We arrived at opening time (18.00hrs) on a Wednesday evening, so the restaurant was understandably quiet. We were going to see a show at The Civic Theatre which is only about 100 metres away.
We were seated by the attentive staff and the waiter suggested that we choose from the pre-theatre menu (£9.99). The food was exceptional, lovely flavours, spicy, not too hot, and extremely tasty. We shall certainly be returning soon.
I would also like to comment on the cleanliness of the toilets, they are without a doubt the cleanest restaurant toilets I have seen in Essex.
On our way out of the restaurant we picked up some take-away menus, they offer free delivery if you order over £20 and live within 3 miles.
Give Everest Gurkha a try, you won't regret it.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Really superb Nepalese cuisine - some familiar Indan favourites but a tremendous range of unusual dishes (e.g. Tandoori venison), making choosing a real challenge. A little quiet early on a Wednesday evening so not a lot of atmosphere, but prompt and attentive service from extremely polite staff.

1  Thank Marc S