“Superb food & nice staff - The lighting? Aaagh!”

The Gurkha Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 376 Restaurants in Chelmsford
Cuisines: Asian, Indian, Nepali
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed in Chelmsford for 2 nights. 1st night after checking Trip Advisor I went to this restaurant to find it packed. And I mean packed. Eventually I was told it was some kind of special charity night. Waitresses were lovely, friendly and traditionally dressed in saris. I got a takeaway to take back to my hotel (The County Hotel nearby). Chicken Birriani, some special veggie dish and a mint porrata. It was outrageously good and not expensive.

Next day I went back (yes it was that good). I planned to eat in. It was quiet. Too quiet and the lighting. Oh my God! It was like being in a tanning shop or a Las Vegas gaming arcade. I couldn't face eating here despite how lovely the staff were. I ordered a different takeaway. It was equally good.

If you eat here - and I strongly advise it - I suggest you wear sunglasses. Vuarnet ski glasses would be ideal!

1  Thank Donsafe
There are newer reviews for The Gurkha Restaurant

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We made our first visit to The Everest Gurkha last night after hearing rave reviews from our friends. We're certainly glad that we did.
We arrived at opening time (18.00hrs) on a Wednesday evening, so the restaurant was understandably quiet. We were going to see a show at The Civic Theatre which is only about 100 metres away.
We were seated by the attentive staff and the waiter suggested that we choose from the pre-theatre menu (£9.99). The food was exceptional, lovely flavours, spicy, not too hot, and extremely tasty. We shall certainly be returning soon.
I would also like to comment on the cleanliness of the toilets, they are without a doubt the cleanest restaurant toilets I have seen in Essex.
On our way out of the restaurant we picked up some take-away menus, they offer free delivery if you order over £20 and live within 3 miles.
Give Everest Gurkha a try, you won't regret it.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Really superb Nepalese cuisine - some familiar Indan favourites but a tremendous range of unusual dishes (e.g. Tandoori venison), making choosing a real challenge. A little quiet early on a Wednesday evening so not a lot of atmosphere, but prompt and attentive service from extremely polite staff.

1  Thank Marc S
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Hadn't booked anything for Mothering Sunday evening so five of us (including one vegetarian)took a chance and visited the Everest Gurkha. We hadn't booked and this wasn't a problem and we were made very welcome. We decided to order five separate main courses and a mixture of side dishes to share. The food was excellent, well presented, the staff very helpful and attentive. We particularly enjoyed the different tastes and all agreed it was nice to come away feeling satisfied but not the bloated heavy feel which you tend get following some indian foods, An overall excellent experience which we look forward to repeating.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Great (indian) cuisine with a delicious hint of something different. A small group of us went for a meal on what turned out to be a slow Wednesday for the Everest. The staff were attentive and helpful without pestering. The meal was well paced, being delivered neither too slow nor too fast. The menu was wide ranging and different yet offering a comforting familiarity. I particularly enjoyed the Choila followed by Mish Mash Masu. For my taste the decor is a little to modern and contemporary; maybe a cliche but I prefer to feel I'm being transported to an exotic destination. Nonetheless I definitley want to eat there again.