“Perfect Party!”

The Lion Inn
Ranked #17 of 393 Restaurants in Chelmsford
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Whether you are with us for lunch or dinner, we provide a friendly, vibrant atmosphere amongst very eclectic surroundings.
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I had a party in the private dining room last Saturday night. Everything went very well from booking to paying the bill. There were 29 of us in the room and the main dining room was very busy but from my arrival right through to the end of the evening I felt we got excellent service.
The food was delicious and hot (where appropriate!), the drinks were good and nobody had an empty glass for long and we were served by lovely servers who made my party memorable.
A special mention to Emma - she was our host and did a wonderful job.
I felt I got great value for money and many happy memories and would recommend the Lion Inn to anyone wanting a good quality celebration meal.
All of my family and friends said they enjoyed the evening and particularly liked the homely feel of the dining room.
I would do it all again if I could!

jmirams, Manager at The Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Thank you for such a positive review.

I am delighted that we helped to make your celebration a success.

Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,706)

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We were originally booked for dinner at the Blue strawberry , the sister restaurant , for our 2nd anniversary but due to the storm that day (28th October) we were informed during the day that the Blue strawberry had no power and were booked instead in the Lion inn ...The place was very busy though this was Monday night. Although we got seated quickly , no one came back to take a drinks order and we had to attract the attention of a passing waitress to get a drink...Then we waited for ages for the drinks to arrive , for someone to take our order and for the food to arrive . In fact we waited an hour between starter and main course and when it finally arrived the side orders ie onion rings were nearly cold and tasted oily ie like they had been sitting under the hot lamp in the kitchen for ages!So we sent them back and decline a replacement just in case it took the same time to get fresh ones! The main was ok but nothing special quite frankly and the dessert , an Eton mess , was disappointing ie the meringue was hard ie like the type you would buy from a packet...I have been to the Blue Strawberry before and enjoyed the food and the atmosphere ...smaller more intimate restaurant and much better service so was disappointed with the Lion inn...Dont know what the hype is all about but it certainly didnt live up to my expectations . It is not cheap to eat there so had every right to expect a great experience with food and service ( though our waitress was very friendly) but didnt deliver at all!My only tip is go to the Blue strawberry instead , better value, food and service !

1  Thank marylinemaryline

Thanks for your review.

Firstly, my apologies that your visit was disappointing for you especially if this was your first visit to The Lion as you may have been unaware that we are a gastropub - not a fine dining restaurant.

Monday's circumstances were, indeed, exceptional with lengthy power cuts in the area. Consequently a much larger than expected number of diners seeking warmth and food arrived to enjoy a brief respite and although we did out best to maintain our service levels, this did have an impact and I can only apologise.

We try at all times to provide both the food quality and service expected of a good gastropub - and I believe that our numerous great reviews are a testament to that.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

a trip to Essex to visit friends led to Sunday lunch at the Lion, no reservation required we rocked up around 14ish stood in the busy bar area awaiting a table the vast room adjacent to the bar was filled with families and very noisy. Thankfully a table in the quieter area to the side was offered and willingly accepted.
Food was good quality and varied, a great specials board. A super roast beef, pork belly and an excellent fish dish. Very good puds and super coffee served black.

All around good value for money, service was attentive, wine choice was pretty good too

jmirams, Manager at The Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Thanks for your review.

It can be noisy at very busy times, especially with lots of families enjoying the relaxed atmosphere but I am pleased that we were able to offer you a quieter spot.

Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

I had my first meal here the other evening & I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I had fish and chips which were incredible. It is a shame that you cant book but its worth the wait! I'm looking forward to going back.

Thanks for your review Rebecca.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Our usual monthly meet up of 3 retired ambulance officers and one soon to be! Food always good, plentiful and fresh. Great selection on the specials board, one of us had the pork escalope served with mushroom and spaghetti. Very tasty! Atmosphere great and the staff always friendly and attentive. As others have said, arrive early for a table! Very popular and has a vibrancy about the place. Well done

Thanks for your review.

It's great that you choose to visit us so regularly.