“A tad over rated”

The Lion Inn
Ranked #9 of 385 Restaurants in Chelmsford
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Whether you are with us for lunch or dinner, we provide a friendly, vibrant atmosphere amongst very eclectic surroundings.
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I went here with high hopes. No problems with the no reservations policy, and no problem with the fact that it was extremely busy, this was expected. However, I felt that most of the food was very average. Although they do a good burger and the fish was nice.

This place is nothing exceptional, plain old pub grub dressed up as something a bit fancier.

Extremely noisy, the ambience and seating do not lend themselves to four people having a conversation over dinner.

2  Thank Steve F
jmirams, Manager at The Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Thanks for taking time to post your review, Steve.

We appreciate your comments. As a gastropub, we are trying to keep up the tradition of pub food albeit with a fresh feel but always with best quality in mind.

Please do try our sister restaurant, The Blue Strawberry, they provide a more intimate dining experience in a tradtional restaurant setting.

Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,645)

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We have been to The Lion Inn many times- always looking foreward to good food and service.
However, last Saturday lunchtime proved somewhat different. Steve, who has been with The Lion Inn and Blue Strawberry for many years, was taking the orders for food. Maybe he had issues we were unaware of, but at the very least he had got out of the wrong side of bed. He was most off hand when taking the order all of which seemed to be too much trouble for him.
Not all, but many of the staff seemed to be taking little interest in the customers other than talking about them in earshot of diners.
When the food was present one of the main courses had human hair in it. This was taken away and replaced but not very graciously. Certain items that were ordered were not forthcoming and had to be requested again. We were there with our son and grandaughter to celebrate my wifes birthday - the whole dining experience was most disappointing.
At the end the floor Manager who we complained to was most sympathetic and adjusted the bill to compensate. However, we will not be returning to The Lion Inn again which is a pity.

I am sorry to hear this was your experience. As hitherto regular customers I am sorry that this may have prevented you from returning but I am pleased that the manager with whom you spoke did manage to retrieve the situation by compensating you.

I hope you will re-consider your decision.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Fantastic meal for 28. Excellent service, friendly staff no complaints whatsoever . Thank you for a great night!

jmirams, Manager at The Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you, Annmaria.

Your great comments are received with much appreciation.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is a huge restaurant but with so many little places, around corners, down steps, in alcoves..... you can choose the ambience you want. We did actually ask to move from our original table into a corner and the staff could not have been more accommodating. Compared with where I live in Portugal, Essex food is pricey so I'm looking for not just good food but for pleasant surroundings and good service. The Lion has all three in spades. It is not by accident that the carpark is usually overflowing. I look forward to being back in Boreham in June and eating at The Lion.

Thank you for great comments.

We look forward to being of service to you again in June.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Have been a few times and its never disappointed. I find taking my order to the bar quirky but fun, it certainly doesn't distract from the experience of eating at this lovely place. The interior has a good bar area for waiting for your table, but also comfy seats if you just want a coffee. Shame you cannot book but hey just make sure you get there with plenty of time before you would prefer to eat. I've never had an issue parking but I imagine it could be difficult when very busy. They have a nice sized room that you can book for a special occasion, which always looks beautifully turned out. And finally, which is very important, the toilets are well presented. I would also point out that the smokers zone outside, is rather lovely. All in all, if I (or a friend) want to go somewhere special The Lion is mentioned as a possible.

jmirams, Manager at The Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Thanks for your great comments, Jane.

Keep recommending us to your friends.