“For a special occasion... you'll be spoilt!!”
Review of The Lion Inn

The Lion Inn
Ranked #9 of 383 Restaurants in Chelmsford
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Whether you are with us for lunch or dinner, we provide a friendly, vibrant atmosphere amongst very eclectic surroundings.
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have been to this restaurant twice with a group of friends and have enjoyed the experience a lot! I couldn't quite class this as fine dining, which is a shame considering the quality of the food. The only reason why is that you do have to write down your order and take it to the till point. To me, that is one thing I don't want to be doing at a restaurant. I do prefer table service. That said, the food is of very good variety and quality. I highly recommend the butternut squash and chilli soup as well as the Sea Bass for main course. My friends raved about the fish pie.. everybody seems to find that a winner. The tables are laid out nicely and aren't too close to each other and the staff were all very pleasant.

jmirams, Manager at The Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Hi Mary, thanks for posting your review.

It is great that you feel our food is worthy of a 'fine dining' accolade, thank you. As a gastropub, however, our aim is to always serve great food but continue the relaxed welcoming environment of the Great British pub.

Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,617)

Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

I was taken to the Lion last night by family who live locally, and my first impressions were that it was a huge restaurant and full to the brim on a bank holiday Monday.

After a little confusion on our part regarding handing the tab in at the bar, we were seated in a nice spot by the log burner.

The starters were delicious (pancetta, black pudding, chicory salad with a deep fried poached egg) followed by one of the best burgers I've ever tasted

All washed down with an excellent bottle of Argentian Malbec shared between three

The young staff were very attentive, with just the right amount of presence

I would definitely recommend a trip here as the food is outstanding as well as good value

Thanks for your review Claire.

Even on busy days, we do our very best to ensure that every table is looked after and i am pleased we were able to do so on your very first visit.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I visited this restaurant yesterday and was so impressed I had to write a review immediately. I've rated the food 'very good' but in this area, for this type of restaurant, it is up there with the best I've been to.

The place is massive, and vibrant, but it manages to work as a good place to go for families, couples, friends, or business. Initially, I wasn't impressed by the fact that we had to go to the bar to order our food, but in fact, this didn't really impact on the experience at all. The service was still excellent and the staff were friendly, chatty, professional and, quite simply, all you could ask for.

The food was fabulous too - fish and chips, pork belly, chicken ciabatta - all were superb. Clean plates all round and very generous portions.

The clientele were also especially friendly, with banter between guests on various occasions, and the whole place had a fantastic friendly atmosphere. Definitely going here again, highly recommended.

Hi Andy, thanks for such a resounding endorsement of The Lion.

We couldn't be happier that we were able to deliver on all fronts, do come back to see us again soon.

Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend came here for a bank holiday lunch . We thought we wouldn't get a table as its always busy ,but we did. The food was great and the service was good . One of my fav restaurants.

Thanks so much for your comments.

We're glad we can continue to make each visit a happy occasion.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Had a great night out. The 4 of us covered a range of food, and all hit the spot perfectly. The range of food that they offer are able to fill all appetites. Personally, I had the Filo Parcel and it was brilliant. The food was cooked just right to be crispy with all the veg inside lovely and soft. The steak was cooked as ordered with a lovely selection of wines to compliment the food.

Would recommend to friends and will return as soon as I can!

The strange thing they do here, which is not a bad thing before you think I mean it this way, is that when you order your food you write your own order and take it to the bar. Otherwise the drinks are all taken at the table. Seems a bit strange but was good fun, plus it's a good way to see who takes the longest to order food... this time it was me sadly.

But a great atmosphere, brilliant food, a good way to spend my dad's birthday.

1  Thank Retsil86
jmirams, Manager at The Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thanks for posting your review, Steve.

We're delighted we were able to contribute to making it a great birthday celebration.