“Nice evening”
Review of The Bay Horse

The Bay Horse
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bay Horse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #65 of 368 Restaurants in Chelmsford
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Come and enjoy our homemade, fresh British food and drink set in a modern decorated Tudor building in the heart of the historic city of chelmsford. We offer an exciting menu as well as an extensive wine and cocktail menu. We provide waited table service and bar service for those just looking for a refreshing drink. Also come see our fantastic live bands every Friday and Saturday. Comfortable and relaxed setting for food, nights out and family visits.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Nice evening”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

I visited The Bay Horse for the first time last weekend and had a really nice time. Me and a friend got a really good deal on groupon, £28 for 3 courses and a glass of wine for two. The food was nice and they certainly wasn't tight with the portions. I had the pork chop for main which the dish itself was lovely but the pork was overcooked. we both wanted the beef sliders but the time we sat (7:45pm) they had run out much to our disappointment. On the whole I would say the food was nice but really quite average.
We had a lovely evening and at no point was me rushed at all. Would I go back? hmm probably not. There are so many nice places in Chelmsford and surrounding places to visit for dinner that I probably wouldnt bother, but the deal was good value for money hense the 4*. If we didnt have the deal and paid full price then I would of only gave 3*

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Samlr

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for, good food, good sized portions, no frills”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Me & the Mrs went here on a Groupon 3 courses for 2 with a glass of wine for £28. We were presented with a Groupon menu of around 5 starters, mains & desserts. I had Mussels to start which were plentiful & tasty. The Mrs has stuffed mushroom which was also tasty & plentiful. For main I had baked whole Trout with new potatoes. The trout was delicious, well cooked & juicy. The only issue was the spuds were cold in the middle but I was offered "new" new potatoes, which I declined as it was a minor thing....as long as the fish was well cooked. The Mrs had pork which was a good size & tasty. We both had chocolate brownie with cream & raspberries for dessert which were delicious.The restaurant was very quiet, only 4 couples dining despite the Groupon offer. It makes you wonder what restaurants have to do these days to drum up a decent bit of midweek trade!. The service was good, a very pleasant young man with a good sense of humour. Me & the Mrs went upmarket the last time we dined and it is hard not to compare but this was less than half the price. All in all you get what you pay for, pretty basic dishes and good, size portions with no frills. Overall we were very satisfied with the quality of food & service for the money we spent.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Gozzer46
“Super experience: we will be back!”
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Visited the Bay Horse after a recommendation from work colleagues and it was definitely one the best meals I've had this year.
Booked online (easy and quick), got there 15 minutes early but table was ready for us. Lovely atmosphere overall and the two waitresses were very attentive, quick and friendly: excellent customer service.
My husband didn't know which ale to have, so they brought over some samplea for him to try - nice touch.
And now for the main thing: food was so tasty and well presented, it was an amazing experience for the eyes as well as your tastebuds! Presentation was impecable. I had potato salad with chorizo and greens to start with (from the specials), baked hake with new potatoes, tomatoes and chorizo as main. Husband had pigeon breast with pickled cauliflower and black pudding to start with and braised beef with potato fondant and baked beans. To finish we shared mississipi mud cake with cream and sweet potato pie with peanut butter and orange coulis - they were both out of this world! I wish I had taken photos now, but phone was dead.

Overall a fantastic experience, we were so impressed and happy with our meal. We are definitely going back next time we are in Chelmsford.

Chipping Ongar, United Kingdom
“Pleasant Expeience”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Over the years I have passed by the Bay Horse thinking it was just a pub. We were invited by friends for Sunday lunch and I was surprised when I went inside. It had a very pleasant atmosphere. I had pork chop that was well cooked and the acompanying vegetables were enjoyable. My wife had roast beef that, according to a waitress, had been cooked in a special way making it quite tender. She was unable to eat all the beef so the staff placed it in a bag for our friend's cats. A drawback to the meal was the plates could have been warmer. We intend to go one evening to celebrate my birthday. One of the best places in Chelmsford to eat out.

• Visited June 2014
Catania
“Good food just needs some better beers........”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

This is a very popular bar for the lunchtime office workers....and the thurs to sunday evenings are busy with a nice crowd and no youngsters.....had many a drunken night here without breakin the bank and there is never any trouble here.....overall a great place till 9 o'clock then I'd recommend a few others bars close by for a more eclectic crowd....

• Visited April 2014