“Fun day out”

18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Fun day out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

Have been to Tropical Wings a few times and have always enjoyed the experience.

There is chance to get up close and personal with the animals in a relaxed setting and importantly all animals appeared happy and calm in their enviroment.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Fozzie_81

Benfleet
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great Day Out At Tropical Wings Zoo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Well what can I say, me and my hubby, visited Tropical Wings Zoo, on the 5th July 2014. We had a really great time, as we were celebrating my hubby's Birthday, and our 17th Wedding Anniversary. I wished we had visited this attraction years ago, we saw stunning birds , Meerkats, Lemurs, Wallaby's, and many other amazing animals, and the wonderful Tropical House, with the stunning butterfly's and plants and the biggest fish I have seen.There are plenty of things for the children to enjoy as well as the animals. There is a Outdoor play area, Diggerland, Tractor Land, Sandpits. There is a lovely Cafe which offers many types of cold and hot drinks, and hot and cold food, various cakes, crisps, ice cream, etc.One thing I would like to say, it is great to see how Disabled friendly the Zoo is. I am disabled and use my wheelchair,and they have made the nearly all pathways disable friendly. Plenty of outbuildings to go into, especially if it starts raining. Many toilets as well and seem very clean, especially the toilet for disabled people, so this was nice to see. All staff were very friendly, and cheerful, and it seemed they would help with any questions about the animals, and if you needed to find a certain part of Zoo. When we went into The Tropical House, the Gentleman that was working in there on the 5th July, approached us, and showed us the Catapillars, and gave us details on certain Butterfly's. He was very nice to talk too. As we were going around the Zoo, we seemed to see him, and he kept asking if I was ok, and was we enjoying the visit. The two young ladies that did the bird display were brill with giving details about the Eagle Owl which was just over 9 weeks old, and another couple of birds were doing there free flying display. Mind you we did have to make a quick dash to the inside, at 10.30 am ,as the sky's opened up, ie. Rain. Overall though the weather was kind to us. A very nice gift shop to look at, with many items to buy especially for the children. This is certainly a fab place to visit for kids, adults, young, even the elderly, and certainly people who have disabilities, and can only walk a short distance, and people that use a wheelchair. Keep up the good work Tropical Wings Zoo. We will certainly be coming back here again, to visit one day soon. We will let all our friends and family know about this attraction which is not that far from where we live.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank BenfleetMouse
Essex
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“A Day Out For Everyone”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

Several years ago we went to Tropical Wings - it wasn't called Zoo then - and enjoyed a couple of hours in the Butterfly hothouse, watching the Birds of Prey show and then wandering amongst the Wallabies. It was a nice time but I thought a little pricey. Yesterday I went there again with my wife and two good friends, all of us over 60, in fact I'd hate to add up the total of our combined ages. The park has grown immensely but the entry fee hasn't followed its growth, just £8.00 a person. Inside there is a beautiful hothouse (please forgive my ignorance as I am not sure what else to call the tropical style garden) where the butterflies fly freely alongside exotic birds. There is also a lovely pond with huge Koi and several glass fronted vivarium containing various reptiles etc.
Once you leave this area you have an alley of aviaries containing all manner of birds, including, birds of prey, owls, vultures and the wonderfully voiced Mynahs and the fabulous Kookaburra. Then its on to a wonderful small zoo of exotic and fun animals, from the Kalahari Kats (Meerkats), Otters, Coatis, Ring-Tailed Lemurs, Wallabies (which you can feed and stroke), and onto the petting zoo where you can cross paths with goats and sheep, not to forget the bunnies and guinea-pigs. There are places to sit and meditate, plus a cafe and a shop where the prices aren't too heavy and to round it all off there is a play park for the kids with slides and climbing frames etc. (I have to be honest and say we didn't go into this bit - see previous where our ages were mentioned).
We spent about 3 hours there, but as it was a very hot day it was enough for us oldies, but on a cooler day we could have spent a lot longer, we surely would have if the grandkids had been with us. PS: Don't forget to take your camera, like I did. I took a few snaps on my phone but it doesn't produce the greatest of results and i the sun outside I couldn't see the screen to know what I was photographing - I got a lot of useless snaps.
After visiting the Tropical Wings Zoo if you turn left onto the main road (actually you have to turn left as its a dual carriageway) go to the roundabout, go across and about 100 yards on the right you can turn into Shaw Farm which is a pub/carvery restaurant. The food is great, the service is excellent and friendly, there is ample parking, and you can eat inside or sit outside around their duck pond. Thoroughly recommended, especially for families.

Visited July 2014
Braintree, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great day out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

I visited recently with a friend and had a lovely day out! Lots to look at and laid out really nicely, the staff are all really friendly and informative. Great if you want to do something different but don't have a full day as it only takes a few hours.
It could do with having better food and drink facilities.
I would recommend visiting!

Visited June 2014
Chelmsford, Essex. UK
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Treating Nephew”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

A nice size means you can get to any of the many meet the keepers type of displays in 5 minutes. Good selection of butterflies, fish, animals and birds. Ideal for toddlers with drive on tractors, diggers, adventure playground, sandpits take a picnic and enjoy.

Visited May 2014