“Always a great welcome”

Ranked #8 of 384 Restaurants in Chelmsford
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Blue Strawberry Bistrot, situated just off the A12 in the village of Hatfield Peverel with its mainline railway station, is ideally located for both the busy executive wishing to enjoy a quality meal without travelling far off the beaten track as well as those who wish for a relaxed & memorable dining experience at a pace to suit. This highly successful restaurant, one of the finest in Essex, has built its enviable reputation over the last 20 years, concentrating on quality food & service whilst still representing exceptional value for money.
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Always a warm welcome here and whilst the menu does not change much the choice is very wide and very good value.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,230)

Reviewed January 14, 2013

My wife and I together with two friends visited the Blue Strawberry just before Christmas. We have been before on numerous occasions. They were obviously very busy but we thought that the food was as good as ever. To be fair to them when it is so busy there will be the odd hiccup.
I am pretty sure that with a genuine complaint they will try to make sure that you are satisfied.

Stephen W, General Manager at The Blue Strawberry Bistrot, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

many thanks for your review & alsounderstanding that occansionly there can a hic up as there can be in any industry. We do endevour to keep them to a minimum. See you again soon

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Through friends and looking at reviews I was looking forward to visiting the Blue Strawberry for Sunday lunch. Busy restaurant with a friendly atmosphere. Most people we dined with had the Blue Strawberry Salad for starters, looked very good although I opted for the Haddock with Poached egg which was lovely - would opt for the salad next time!

Main course was Roast beef - seriously good, out of 12 diners nearly everyone this, from medium to rare, all delivered perfect with all the trimming you would expect. Large portions so three courses was a struggle, but I made it! Set menu is based on two or three courses, my tip would be to skip breakfast and go for the three courses.

Service was just about right, attentive but not over fussy, impressive considering how busy the restaurant was.

Food was just warm enough, only just. We ate upstairs and this may have been a reason why. The seating downstairs looked better with some lovely looking tables that sat 8 to 10 people in bay type areas.

We spent 4 hours yesterday afternoon in this lovely restaurant and will definitely go back

many thanks for taking the time to review us it was a pleasure to have you in the restaurant on Sunday & look forward to seeyou again soon

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We ate here on Dec. 22, 2012 for a large family celebration, some of the food was excellent like my son's tiger prawn starter(probably the best prawns I have tasted ever) my seafood tower was another story bland tasteless muck and my venison was not much better, it was over done although the menu stated it was served rare there was no red and very little pink showing in the middle. For a fine dining restaurant the staff should be trained to serve as it is one. We had a party of 8 and when seated each setting had 3 glasses, after drinks were ordered all glasses remained on the table none were removed and new glasses added via what was ordered and also never removed even if the diner ordered another drink so by the end of the meal we had little to no room due to the overwhelming amount of glassware on the table. Once meals were served NO one checked back to see if everything was ok and cooked to our liking. None of the desserts or puddings were anything special. My son's chicken was delicious and very tender. My mother-in-laws pork belly was not very good. Overall I did not feel the Blue Strawberry lived up to the reviews and reputation, I had expected more and for
£ 28 per person not including drinks felt we deserved a better dining experience. The service staff needs training in the fine dining service and experience. Next time we are in the UK we might give the Blue Strawberry another try but not at the above price point that was overpriced for the service and food quality.

Stephen W, General Manager at The Blue Strawberry Bistrot, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

many thanks for taking the time to review us, although very mixed in content all your comments have been noted & it is always good to get feed back from our guests. Perhaps when you are back in sunny Essex & are considering visiting us again if you would like to contact me so I can make the reservation & make some ammends to our shortcoming on this visit

Reviewed December 24, 2012

My wife and I have been coming here for years and always found it to be outstanding. We came on the evening of 21st December as a duel celebration of our 21st wedding anniversary and my birthday. To start I ordered the Blue Strawberry Salad of continental leaves tossed with Atlantic prawns, grilled cured bacon, blue stilton, roasted cashew nuts & crispy croutons. I was somewhat dismayed to find that there were no prawns whatsoever on my plate. I thought I must have misread the menu and said nothing in spite of the fact that the bacon was little more than lardons of bacon fat all of which I left. Next we both ordered the Char-grilled prime 250g sirloin steak served with a jug of classic green peppercorn sauce ,very average. When I ordered desert, Chocolate & chestnut roulade, blackberry coulis & whipped double cream, I noticed on the menu that I should indeed have had prawns on my salad and queried this with the waitress. She looked embarassed and said she'd tell the chef. Desert was very poor, dry with little flavour of anything other than chocolate. Finally,coffee. My wife's americano arrived along with an empty cup for me. I waited. I waited some more. Eventually I realised they weren't coming back and asked again for my coffee and was delivered a pot of watery, insipid liquid which tasted vaguely of coffee. We asked for the bill and when it arrived I asked what the chef had said about the prawnless salad and was told he was sorry and that I wouldn't be charged for the starter. They had deducted £4 off the bill. This for a dish that is priced at £6.50 on the menu. As we left the waitress looked sorrowfully at us and apologised. Our 21st wedding anniversary was certainly memorable but for all the wrong reasons.

1  Thank JohnP503775
Stephen W, Manager at The Blue Strawberry Bistrot, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to review the Blue Strawberry I am sorry that we let you down on this special occasion, if you would like to contact me personally I would like to be given the oppertunity to make amends for you both