“Good value”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I ate in SAN for the first time with a small group of friends on a Saturday evening. Judging by the reviews I expected poor service but was very pleasently surprised by very good service. Again I expected to be hassled to buy drinks but there was no pressure at all. The quality of the food is good but the experience would have been better if warming trays had been supplied. Overall the experience was good, almost as good as the Lantern House.

2  Thank JohnJoyce32
There are newer reviews for San

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I booked a table at SAN for a birthday celebration before seeing one or two negative reviews on this site so was slightly apprehensive. However, I need not have worried. The food was very good indeed, as was the service. The staff were polite and attentive, and at no point were we hassled to buy extra drinks as has been mentioned on here. We will most definitely return.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

We went again as a party of six for our anniversary, a little worried about some recent reviews on this site regarding service. It was a Sunday and fairly busy but our fears were unfounded. Drinks served staying away with the manager making useful suggestions for our starters with the usual in pancakes to follow.

It was a fixed cost of £13.95 plus 10%. The total bill with three bottles of house wine ,several beers and soft drinks was just under £150.00

Food as usual was excellent but a shame that desserts were extra

Reviewed January 24, 2013

It is always a pleasure to visit SAN, excellent choice of food options to choose from, starters in particular are delicious. We always like to have the mixed starters for two and they are absolutely delicious, non greasy and a meal in themselves. I like that I can tailor the menu to my personal favourites and that I can have the opportunity to try other dishes too in the price. Portions are a good size and great for sharing.

I find the staff and the manager to be very kind, friendly and hospitable, thank you for the fruit platter on our last visit and for playing the birthday song for my Husband. A lovely gesture and deeply appreciated.

One of the best Chinese restaurants in Chelmsford and we look forward to our next visit. Would absolutely recommend for a great meal out.

1  Thank Flicks12
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Had it not been for the awful service I would have given this place a 4 as the food was lovely. However, the experience was let down by an incredibly rude waitress. Before we had even had a chance to sit down she asked us what we wanted to drink. When I asked for a jug of tap water, as we were all thirsty from rushing around, she said that she would not bring us any until we all ordered a drink off the menu. Even when I said that we would do that when we ordered our food she still refused to bring us any water. There were no pleases, thank yous or anything else resembling politeness. Throughout the meal I felt that we were hassled quite frequently to buy extra drinks, even when they were still half full.

On the positive side I was very impressed with the quality of the food. It is an all you can eat, but you order from the menu. This means that the food is fresh and warm when served. There is a very wide selection to choose from and all of it tasted very good, especially the starters and the vegetarian singapore noodles. However, I do think that there was a lot of msg or salt in the food as I was very thirsty afterwards. I presume this is to encourage you to buy more of the overpriced drinks they seem intent on pushing you to buy!

The cost on a Saturday night is £15.90 per person. Pretty good value as you can order as much food as you like. Though it is clearly displayed I did object to paying the 10% service charge as the service was awful. The big question is would I go back? If I was feeling very hungry and wanted a Chinese I would definately consider it as I know I would get a tasty all you can eat. However due to the rude service I am not rushing to go back.