“FOOD FANTASTIC BUT SERVICE COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER AT THE PRICE”
Review of The Cuckoo

The Cuckoo
Ranked #7 of 389 Restaurants in Chelmsford
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Wife and I went to The Cuckoo Friday 25th January for the first time. I had the spicy scallop starter with a main course of Gnocchi followed by Spanish doughnuts with chocolate and chilli sauce and I must say the quality and taste of the food was in my opinion fantastic. My wife had chicken liver pate followed by pheasant breast and crème brulee for desert she also found the food to be of the highest quality. We both found the restaurant to be a bit noisy making it difficult to hold a conversation and the service seemed more interested in a table behind us who where clearly friends of the owners and bar person. At the end of my meal I asked for a cognac and out of the choice offered went for a double Hine XO I was amazed to be served this by the person I believe to be one of the owners with years of experience in high class top quality restaurant in a cold brandy glass. All in all the food was great the service could be a bit better and if your going to charge higher end prices get little things like warming the brandy glass right. £ for £ I think the Green Man at Edney common is much better.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Fantastic setting and excellent Food - a real treat for my Birthday and thoroughly enjoyed by us all! Can't wait to go again.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

I have been here many times and i have to say the food and service is fantastic. The ambiance of the Cuckoo is great , very clean and tidy also. The fish was cooked to perfection and the choice of wines were fab. We will be going again

Reviewed December 27, 2012

My firend took me for lunch in november and it was excellent. The service, homemade bread and nicely spiced food was first class. So i took my husband and son for lunch a week later. They were also impressed. We will visit again soon.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have taken our best friends to the Cuckoo and they have all really enjoyed the excellent food and the lovely ambience there on each and every occasion. The menu is quite varied and offers a good variety of fish dishes. My personal favourite is the Thai prawn curry with jasmine rice.
The service is very attentive but without being intrusive - it is just right! The Cuckoo is small, cosy, warm and welcoming. However you will have to reserve your table for dinner more than a couple weeks or so in advance - that's how good it is!