“Nice host but the guest house is very dirty”

Rothmans Bed & Breakfast
and 1 more site!
Rothmans Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 19 Chelmsford B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I chose the guest house because of reviews saying how charming it was - and I guess, with a bit of housekeeping it could be - but the dirt - oh my goodness.
The carpet in my room had not been vacuumed before my visit and the level of dust was awful - the curtain pelmet was thick with dust and the bathroom had thick mould all over the sealant. God knows when the bath mat was last washed - it appeared welded to the floor so I kept my flipflops on for the whole visit.
Without doubt the host is lovely and offers a wide range of breakfasts. Once again, though, the dining room was really dirty - my cutlery had bits of dried on food stuck on them and I struggled to find a clean knife - and everything looked like it needed a wash at 60 degrees.
I am fussy but setting that aside the whole place was really below standard and sadly I cannot recommend it. I notice in an earlier post that Peter mentions that he has hired a cleaner. If he has, they should be sacked as the whole place is below standard. If it hadn't been for the lovely man running it, I would have given It a 1.
Be aware that creaking floors will disturb you - I was woken up at 6am on both mornings by people moving around and the door to the bathroom is almost impossible to open and close because it sticks on laminate flooring.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mandabedford
Fairview537, Owner at Rothmans Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2014

A pity, and you may have caught us when the cleaner was off sick. We now "overclean", if anything with extra staff. As you will will see from reviews here and on my website, there are no issues - 5 star (mostly) and 4 star responses
Peter

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We booked on line, and after staying in the Thomas James in Leamington, were a bit bothered. The owner e mailed us his number and upon arriving, we rang it, and he met us at the car park. Helped us with the luggage, and ran over the security. Milk in the fridge for us to help ourselves (We both hate UHT milk) Room big clean and bright. Bathroom assigned to us across the landing, but you could sail the QE2 in the bath. Floors slope slightly, but the house is over 300 years old. Stairs both wide and easy to climb. Yes, we will use again if in the area.

Room Tip: Nice (Old) pub just a short walk from the B&B.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I have just read a couple of negative reviews for this bed and breakfast,and find it hard to believe these people actually stayed here,we bookes 2 rooms for one night while we were visiting the area for a wedding,and can honestly say we loved every bit of it from the charming building with the wonky floors to the owners perfect balance of friendlyness and professionalism,we were warmly welcomed from the time we arrived to the time we left,well done Peter.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank james w
Reviewed June 18, 2013

What a find! This manor house tucked away but in a perfect location for a night out in Chelmsford. Loved the room, very pretty, bed not as comfy as I would have hoped, shower bit small but breakfast.....wow!Peter is a great host, felt very welcomed and not like we were in a guest house.Didnt want to leave will definitely recommend and come back again soon!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I booked (and paid in advance) for five nights but only stayed for three. In those three days, the shared bathrooms weren't cleaned, my bedroom wasn't serviced and not a bin in the place (including those in the shared toilets) was emptied. The place is generally very grubby, which is a real shame because this could be a beautiful hotel. Also, the "buffet" breakfast is actually a case of helping yourself to less than appealing food from a fridge that also needed a good clean. Things like a pot of old razors in the shower room, grubby and damp bathmats on the floor and stained bed sheets make this place one of the worst I have ever stayed, so much so, I found a different hotel for the remainder of my stay. Please Peter, make some changes and do your beautiful building justice!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have stayed at Rothmans on three separate occasions in recent months. During that time, I have also stayed at many other similar establishments across the South East, as a change from the usual chain hotels. This hardly qualifies me as an expert, but I have to say Rothmans compares well with its peers. Perhaps that is because repeat stays tend to bring a sense of the familiar, but in any event the rooms are comfortable and spacious, the breakfast has great variety and is plentiful and nutrious, essential Wifi is complimentary and works well (which isn't a given in lots of B&Bs), and although the bathroom facilities are shared I have never "bumped into anyone else on the landing". I also like the fact that there's a decent pub but a short walk away serving decent food at the price point, and real ale! I will return again when in the area.

Room Tip: Georgian room is a twin and more spacious than Edwardian - both both fine for a single traveler.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stayed at the Bed and Breakfast for four weeks in April. I spent most of my time solo in the Edwardian room, but also enjoyed the Four Poster bedroom for a couple of nights with my girlfriend.

The house is beautiful with a large garden and plenty of facilities. There are three shared bathrooms, and some of the rooms have ensuites. Peter is an excellent host - welcoming and accomodating.

Edwardian:

The Edwardian is a cosy room with TV, wardrobe and desk. It was everything I needed and I was quite comfortable.

Four Poster:

The Four Poster bedroom was very large and included an ensuite. I really loved this room and will be going back in the near future.

The house is kept clean and tidy and the breakfast is tasty.

You can tell from the variety in previous comments that this is not a typical "hotel" experience. What you get from Rothmans is character in a historic property that excudes a homely feel.

I would recommend it to anyone who appreciates something a little different. I can also attest to it's suitability for long-stay accomodation.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chelmsford
Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel
The Riverside Inn
The Riverside Inn
#3 of 19 in Chelmsford
Acreland Green Bed and Breakfast

Been to Rothmans Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!