“A Luxurious Venue For Sunday Lunch”
Review of Tudors Restaurant

Tudors Restaurant
Ranked #47 of 159 Restaurants in Brentwood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Brentwood, United Kingdom
“A Luxurious Venue For Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Tudors Restaurant is within the Marygreen Manor Hotel, a beautiful 16th century Tudor building that exudes comfort and period charm. The lofty beams and decor of the restaurant provide an extravagant and luxurious atmosphere, perfect for a special occasion or, as my family and I enjoyed recently, Sunday lunch.

The set menu includes three courses for £23.00. Not the cheapest option around but dishes are a little bit different from the usual Sunday lunchtime fare, freshly prepared and beautifully presented. The exception is perhaps the vegetarian dish of Penne Pasta with Pesto Sauce, which although extremely tasty, was an unimaginative choice, I thought, given that the a la carte vegetarian menu has such a wonderful selection.

We were a party of eight and a deposit was required at the time of booking. The service was efficient and attentive and we did not feel rushed at any time. Our visit was very enjoyable and I look forward to returning.

Pre drinks can be enjoyed in the hotel bar where you can also peruse the menu and place your order. The restaurant has other menus, including the aforementioned exclusively vegetarian menu, and the hotel also offers cream teas, which I haven't tried yet but I am told are very good. There are also conference rooms and a private dining area, the Henry Vlll suite, which comes with its own bar area and cloakroom.

Autumn

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Autumn9

Brentwood, United Kingdom
“Anniversary meal”
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

I have a lot of affection for this restaurant as we had our wedding reception here which was superb .Tommy and the guys make you very welcome nothing is to much trouble .The food is simply wonderful I have never eaten food so well prepared and full of taste .And trust me I've eaten in some very very good restaurants .Do not expect a cheap meal but the atmosphere and service is superb .Its a gem in brentwood and I would encourage anyone to treat themselves just be ready with the plastic it's not cheap but in my view worth every penny .So much so we return every year as an anniversary treat :-)

South Ockendon
“Tudor restaurant only”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We have dined in the Tudor restaurant for a few years but on our last visit we were shocked at the portion sizes and cutting corners by cutting one scallop into 3 to make a starter worth around £12. We complained to the management but they didn't not want to know so we shall not be going back.

1 Thank Ricardo122mich
Essex
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This hotel restaurant is surprisingly quiet, yet the food is of a high standard and quality.

Admittedly it's not the cheapest, but it's certainly not the most expensive place we've dined at either. Besides, I'm always reminded that "you get what you pay for", which probably makes this venue more appropriate for that special occasion!

We opted for the tasting menu with accompanying wines and it was very enjoyable. A thoughtful and well presented range of dishes full of colour, wonderful aroma and, essentially, great taste.

It was a very pleasant experience and we left full, if a little tipsy, and very contented.

Our compliments to the chef. We will definitely return with some friends.

• Visited August 2012
Brentwood
“Poor service from staff that have heavy foreign accents”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I used to think this restaurant at the Marygreen Manor was one of the best in Brentwood. I recently took my wife and another couple here to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I found the serving staff surly, heavily accented to the point where I had to constantly had to ask them to repeat themselves.

It did not help having a table of 6 diners adjacent to my table that were very loud, so it seems that now the serving staff and the clientele are not what I would expect.

The classic when paying the bill I asked for the "discretionery tip" to be removed from the bill, my response was that the the person serving me "would have to ask the managers permission to do so". At that point the amount I was going to leave was reduced to zero. Shame, it spoiled a special night.

• Visited June 2012