“Beautiful place!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Brentwood
Newmarket, United Kingdom
“Beautiful place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

We booked to stay here for one night through a last minute booking website. It cost us £80 with breakfast.

The building from the outside is full of character and is very well kept. It must be said that the interior and decoration will not be to everyones taste, it is very grand and old fashioned, but is totally in keeping with the age of the building, the large wooden beams and the general feel of the place. You definitely feel that it is the way it is meant to be!

Hotel reception was extremely friendly and very swift with checking us in. We stayed in room 1, a large double bedroom, which overlooked the courtyard, with a lovely marble effect bathroom. The weather was beautiful, so we sat in the courtyard/garden with a bottle of wine and I could have easily stayed there all day as the small pond and water feature and 'mushroom hut' makes it truly lovely.

My only annoyance was that we were booked to eat in the Tudor restaraunt in the evening, however we were keen to have steaks, which only appear on the 'lounge menu'. We wanted to order starters and desserts from the Tudor menu, but was told we would have to order from one or the other and would have to sit in the lounge area (which also has a pretty, well lit conservatory) if we wanted steaks. I really do not see why it would matter if we chose a mix from both menus- we were still paying full cost for the food and they were serving both menus all evening, so I found this a little pumpous of the hotel.

For most of our stay we had a young waiter who was obviously very keen to please the guests. He was polite, and was consistently ensuring all was ok etc. While eating our mains, we asked for two other drinks, when a large party arrived to sit in the garden. The young waiter seemed to be left to deal with this by himself, while two older members of staff shuffled around near the bar we were sat near (considering we were 'not allowed' to eat in the main restaraunt I thought they would still remember us!). Not once did they think to check on us or to retrieve our drinks orders while the poor young waiter was busy outside, even though my drink sat quite clearly on the bar! I found it quite rude of them, and to see one muttering under his breath, as if to be moaning about something, was totally unprofessional. I was left totally unimpressed by their general attitude, however give credit to the young waiter/barman.

Having said that, the food was delightful, fresh and very tasty! The Tudor menu is very pricey, and we did not sample this, but if it is anything like the standard served off the lounge menu, I have no doubts it will be superb!

In all, I would highly recommend this place to stay and to eat! A great little find!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
MGMManagement, General Manager at Marygreen Manor Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2015
Thank you for leaving your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. As a point of interest we offer many great weekend deals and packages which can only be booked directly from our website.
We offer our guests a selection of menus at various price levels. These menus are suited to a particular service area and style of service. Our lounge menu aims to appeal to guest who may require a more informal meal and service style and, unfortunately, in our experience, a mixture of these various menus does not offer diners the desired meal experience. I am very sorry that you experienced some service issues whilst eating in our lounge and can assure you that we will do our best to improve in the future.
I sincerely hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Marygreen Manor Hotel in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

Visited for Fathers Day lunch this year. I have been once before and upon returning was not disappointed. The food was outstanding as was the service. The building itself adds to any occasion with its history and detailed interior. A definite for a special meal out.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your recent visit to us. Whilst our hotel is perfect for special occasions we offer excellent value menus all year round and would encourage you to try out Du Jour Menu next time you are in the area.
Thank you again and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Marygreen Manor Hotel soon.
Kendal, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

We got dropped off at this hotel and at first glance I was not overly impressed, however walk in the door and its a completely different story. ......amazimg staff, efficient and friendly. The room was lovely and well equipped. Once checked in and handed the keys to the room, we walked through the most beautiful, relaxing courtyard, peaceful and on the doorstep of the room. Evening meal was worth every penny, very tasty and good portions. Breakfast on the continental side was a little basic but looked like they had a good selection of cooked stuff. We attended a wedding 'do' here the next day and that was well organised. Enjoyed the hotel but didn't get chance to see the area unfortunately.

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you for your review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I am also pleased you enjoyed our facilities and were able to attend a wedding in our private function rooms as well - you certainly had a busy time!
We hope you have the opportunity to return to brentwood in the future, to explore the local area and enjoy another stay with us at The Marygreen Manor Hotel.
Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

I have been visiting this hotel for various occasions over the last 40 years and was dining there with friends for Sunday lunch. As always the staff are very attentive and the dining room is lovely. We all ordered the beef, all done to varying degrees of 'doneness' as requested and all very good as were the starters and the deserts - yes we had it all! If I were to come up with a negative it would be the size of the side of vegetables, truly teeny, tiny. Personally I enjoy my veg especially with a roast and whilst more roast potatoes were requested, we were rationed to two small ones originally, another three were provided - honestly! Apart from that everything else was spot on, as always, will I be back, naturally I will not let lack of veg, rather fine roast beef and lovely venue come between MGM and us!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank JoanOEssex
Thank you for your review. It is always especially nice to hear from our long standing customers. I am sure we can work together to overcome any issues with your potato and vegetable portions! I would ask that you mention this next time you book so that you do not suffer any delays on the day - please ask to speak to me directly if you would prefer.
I hope it is not too long before we welcome you back to The Marygreen Manor Hotel again.
Bury st edmunds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

I love this hotel. I have been here now for 2 weddings and have stayed in various rooms, all of which have been brilliant. The standard of service from all the staff is impeccable and the rooms are clean and comfortable. I think this hotel works well for special occasions or just visiting alike. Defiantly recommend a stay.

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you very much for your review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your two visits to us and would like to thank you for your kind recommendation.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Marygreen Manor Hotel for many further visits in the future!
Ingatestone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

On October 26, 2013, myself and my wife had our wedding at Marygreen Manor. From start to finish the day was magical, largely due to the brilliant staff and wonderful setting. We chose to have our ceremony at Marygreen, which took place within the Samuel Pepys Room. It was the perfect setting. The room is beautifully decorated and almost regal - adorning the walls on either side are portraits of Henry VII's six wives. When we had a planning meeting with our brilliant wedding co-ordinator Cyril, he gave us a book about the site of the hotel and it is reported in there that Henry VIII even one visited the place, long before it was a hotel of course. We found the team at Marygreen Manor very flexible and extremely attentive, they really know how to make you and your guests feel extremely special. We had our dinner and evening in the Henry VIII, it has a lovely atmosphere, there is something very special about it, I can't explain it, you just have to see it. The food was absolutely amazing and staff were on hand at all times catering for our every whim. After dinner the party broke for coffee back in the Samuel Pepys Room while they set up for the evening back in the Henry VIII. I forget to say, one thing which really sticks in our memories, apart from the amazing interior of the hotel, is the fabulous garden, beautifully kept - the gardener clearly at the top of his game. The evening was a fantastic party and the DJ supplied by the hotel was brilliant, such a great mix of songs. We stayed in the Catherine of Aragon Suite from the four-poster to the ornate decor, that room will live long in both of our memories. Many of our guests stayed also and were highly complimentary of all aspects of the accommodation, including the scrumptious breakfast the next morning. I would highly, highly, highly recommend Marygreen Manor for your wedding. The only other note to make is that if you are planning a very big wedding they may not have the capacity so you will need to check with them.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your review. I am delighted your wedding was such a success and that we were able to accommodate so many of your guests overnight as well - its always handy when your chosen wedding venue has accommodation on site!
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I know the staff at Marygreen Manor will be delighted with your comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

We finally managed to redeem the vouchers we had been given at christmas for afternoon tea.
We were seated in the lower restaurant area which was fine . The tea, sandwiches, scones and cakes were as good as any I have had in the west end, better than some.
Excellent value.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank grotbags
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your afternoon tea with us and all without the hassle of traveling to the west end!
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Marygreen Manor Hotel in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brentwood
De Rougemont Manor
#1 of 1 in Great Baddow
Orsett Hall
Orsett Hall
#1 of 1 in Orsett

Been to Marygreen Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!