“Very cool place to stay, but limited food options”

Marygreen Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Brentwood
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed one night on business and it was a really cool building. Great history and the wifi worked in the outdoor courtyard, which was very nice compared to working in the room. The restaurant though is very expensive and while the food was good, I had a Simple dinner for 60 pounds, which was way too much for business travel. The cold contential breakfast was 9 pounds, which was a bit much for what was offered.

If you have a way to eat somewhere else, I would recommend. If not, you may want to find a hotel with lower cost options for meals.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Marygreen Manor Hotel

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We recently held our wedding and reception at Marygreen Manor.

We were hugely impressed with everything from start to finish. The coordinator Annette was a pleasure to deal with and very helpful, Steve the toastmaster provided for us by the venue was organised and made sure everything ran like clockwork on the day itself, and Pepe the bar manager was popular with all of our guests. Nothing was too much trouble, and all were quick to offer good advice when we needed it.

The garden provided an attractive setting for photographs and the Henry VIII room was perfect for the number of guests we had invited. The food was excellent, served up quickly and efficiently.

We can honestly say that we did not have one single issue or complaint all day, the hotel made sure we had nothing to worry about in any way. A fantastic service provided at a very reasonable cost, we were massively impressed and would highly recommend Marygreen Manor to anyone looking for a character filled wedding venue.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed at this hotel this weekend, as a friend was getting married nearby. My major gripe about this hotel was our room. The minute we walked in, we were overpowered by the smell of cigarettes. It was disgusting, and I have never experienced anything like it. Just to be clear, this did not smell like a couple of people had had a couple of cigarettes in it, more that this had been smoked in day in, day out for a number of years. We opened the window, got changed, and left for the wedding. When we returned 10/11 hours later, the smell was exactly the same (as it was the next morning when we got up).

When I was checking out, I made a complaint about the state of the room. I was then offered a discount for the room, which went some way to make up for the situation. However, when I explained that I had prepaid for the room, after a lengthy delay, I was told that they could not reimburse me the money they had offered - something to do with their 'end of day' accounts being out if they reimbursed me money. Instead, they offered me a voucher which could be redeemed on my next stay - completely useless as we are unlikely to stay in the area again, and will certainly not be staying in this hotel if we did.

Other than the cigarette smell, I would describe this as a distinctly average hotel. Whilst not rude, the staff were unhelpful with a poor grasp of the English language. For example, when we arrived for breakfast, we were brusquely told that there were no tables available, and that we would either have to wait or sit in the dark and dingy bar.

I am not normally inclined to writing on sites like this (I have once or twice written on this site before, but just to recommend spectacular hotels, rather than complain about others), but my experience here meant that I felt I had to. I would not recommend staying here!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Hugo L
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I can't vouch for the accommodation as I visited for a meal but was so impressed not only by the food, but the wonderful service. I would definately recommend this gem of a venue. The atmosphere was lovely, the food probably the best I have ever eaten. It was expensive but I believe in this case you pay for quality.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Loupo22
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed here while visiting Essex for a friend's wedding. He booked us in here thinking that we Yanks could use a little "oldy worldy" place with some character. He was right. We were perfectly happy with our first garden-view room but upon arrival maintenance arrived to tell us the heat was leaking. Without a single word on our part they upgraded us to a small suite in the newer part of the hotel and it was lovely. Very comfortable, very quiet.
The food in the pub is grand. My husband is STILL raving about the Shepherd's Pie a month later.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank kate12NYC
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We were given a voucher for afternoon tea as a gift. I had no idea this gem of a hotel existed, and what a lovely surprise. Tea was delicious! Perfect sandwiches, lovely cakes, and amazing scones. The waiters were superb. Great atmosphere. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PeggyAnderson19
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Very positive experience for a first time business meeting held in the Samuel Pepys Room. Light and airy, fully equipped - refreshments very good. Staff very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. Will certainly look to using the venue again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brentwood
De Rougemont Manor
#1 of 1 in Orsett
Roslin Beach Hotel
Roslin Beach Hotel
#1 of 2 in Thorpe Bay

Been to Marygreen Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!