“Couldn't even get breakfast due to poor service in the restaurant.”

Marygreen Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Brentwood
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed on business and had high hopes of this hotel having looked at it on the Internet. I was slightly disappointed with the room, it was mediocre. The bathroom was cold and having a garden room meant people walking past the window all night.
I had shepherds pie on the second night delivered to my room which was timely and very tasty. So much so that I ordered it again the following night. It wasn't the same.........
I had breakfast in my room the first two mornings which was fine but I decided to go to the restaurant for breakfast on my last day, big mistake. There was one lady on duty, trying to seat customers, take their orders and serve them. I struggled to get her attention to place my order and had to call her over on the end, having tried to 10 minutes. I placed my order and tea and toast were served promptly enough. By now I had been in the restaurant some 30 minutes and I was still waiting for my full English. Customers arriving after me had been served a hot breakfast and were by now on their way...I was embarrassed as they all knew that they had jumped the queue so go speak. So after 45 minutes in the restaurant I tried to get the waitress's attention........too busy for me once again. By this point I had had enough. I left the restaurant and on my way out told her that I couldn't wait any longer, that at least 6 people who had arrived after me had been fed and gone on their way. She was sorry, I was hungry. She said she would ensure that the cost of the breakfast was taken off my bill, no mention on checking out and it took 3 of them to check me out so by now I couldn't be bothered.
I travel to Brentwood regularly, this was my first stay at Marygreen manor and my last. I will go back to the well know hotel chain down the road in future. What a shame.

• Stayed: February 2013
There are newer reviews for Marygreen Manor Hotel

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed at the Mary Green Manor for one night. Room was spacious and clean. Very comfy bed and good quality linen. Decor at little tired, torn wallpaper, loose carpet trims but not enough to spoil our stay. Staff seemed very curtious and polite. My biggest complaint was that we booked a bed & breakfast package and when I enquired about having our breakfast in our room we were told we would have to pay for the full breakfast £17 each, not just a room service supplement, which I thought was very wrong, so beware if you want your breakfast via room service. I thought this was very wrong because we had already paid for our breakfast as part of the package we booked. I have never come across in other hotels, they normally just charge you a room service supplement which is fair.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed here with my partner on a Sat as a special treat for there birthday. Arrived just after 2pm to be warmly greeted by Laura on reception. I had booked a room in Brampton Lodge and also afternoon t to be served in our room plus evening meal and a champagne breakfast again to be served in our room.

We did have a few issues with our stay which have now been addressed and the general manager has very professionally dealt with.

The hotel itself is lovely and very tudorish. Although on a Sat afternoon the car park can get a bit crowded, but there is a overflow car park, ok unless it is raining.

Although our 1 night stay was not cheap, I would certainly consider staying here again. Highly recommend the Afternoon Cream teas but you need to book this well in advance

Room Tip: Marygreen Manor has lots of weddings so when booking a room if you are not attending a wedding ask f...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with a colleague and we were both really disappointed. It takes a lot to make me leave a negative review but the staff were so aggressive and rude. We had dinner in the restaurant and were chastised for trying to order from the bar menu - we didn't realise that's what it was and were told in no uncertain terms the chef found it unacceptable that we would do that as it would upset the other diners (2). When trying to order drinks the waiter walked off mid sentence and then pretty much ignored us. We were pretty much treated like a nuisance all night with no pleasantries whatsoever but a 10% tip automatically added on anyway. Believe me we are really not demanding or rude customers! We were typically English and tried to be extra nice to compensate but to no avail.
Breakfast was the same, aggressive waitress with no smiles who expected us to know what we wanted immediately and then stood there sighing while we dared to read the menu.
Bed was very comfortable, room was dated.

We weren't even asked if we'd had a good stay when we checked out. Expect better than this for the price on all counts

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Cfvarley
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I arrived late sunday night on the 3rd of March 2013 - greeted by a staffed reception and efficient check in.

There was plenty of parking and the room was very warm and welcoming - good sized room with fruit and water available as well as coffee and tea making.

The TV worked first time which is good and the whole room was clean and tidy

This is a good hotel

Only two issues - on checking out the reception was unmanned and after waiting for a while ( no bell) the phone rang and a staff member appeared - they answered the phone and dealt with this first before dealing with me. I dont like this as it indicates to me that in the eyes of the staff a random telephone call is more important than a staying guest.

Secondly the place just had an odd atmosphere in my opinion not in the rooms but in the main reception area.

I would stay here again though

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed for a few nights last weekend and was well impressed. Accommodation was very good as was excellent food. Staff were very friendly nothing was too much trouble. Cosy little bar and lounge area to chill, drink and eat.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We had our wedding at Marygreen Manor last Thursday and we just can't say enough how fantastic the whole day was. The ceremony room (Samuel Pepys) and banquet room (Henry VIII) were immaculate and decked out exactly how we had asked. The decor, food, drink, staff and atmosphere were 2nd to none. A special thanks should go to Cyril who helped us plan the day and Michael who was fantastic on the day, not to mention all of the waiters, bar and kitchen staff who deserve a medal for their quality of service - nothing was too much trouble.

When the night was over we moved to our suite (Catherine of Aragon) which had its own lounge area as well as a four poster bed and was in keeping with the 16th century decor - spotlessly clean, comfortable and had all the facilities you could want from a hotel room PLUS a jacuzzi bath!! Our friends and family who had "normal" rooms were all pleased with the size, quality and comfort that Marygeen had to offer.

Breakfast in the morning was tasty and generous and when we asked for more toast and tea they were more than happy to oblige.

I know that this was for a wedding and that for a one nighter, this hotel is probably a little on the expensive side in normal circumstances but for the quality you got from every aspect, I believe the price is worth it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brentwood
De Rougemont Manor
#1 of 1 in Orsett
Roslin Beach Hotel
Roslin Beach Hotel
#1 of 2 in Thorpe Bay

Been to Marygreen Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!