“Ok attraction but overpriced”

Old MacDonald's Farm
Ranked #2 of 33 things to do in Brentwood
More attraction details
Owner description: Animal attraction with farmyard favourites, exotic animals, rides, slides and unique animated singing chickens and frogs all included in the entry fee. Set on the edge of the M25 and handy for east London as well as Essex and all points north and south, this award winning leisure farm is educational and fun.
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Took my two grandsons a couple of weeks ago. Used bogof voucher which was good as would not have wanted to pay full price. Staff on reception were not welcoming. Facilities were ok. Not all rides open.

Was ok for a day out but not outstanding.

Macdonald F, Owner at Old MacDonald's Farm, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and glad you took advantage of one of the many special offers we run each and every day of the year, including as you said 2 for 1s and also our great value on line booking discount or our own brochures with £10 off. Our roller coaster, as shown on our website and telephone message, is only open weekends and school or bank holidays but all the other rides are open every day, albeit on a rota system, but if anyone is waiting for a ride they can ring the bell for our staff to rush over. Sorry you did not find our staff welcoming and if you get in touch and tell us when you came in we will deal with this.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

I visited the farm with my daughter,granddaughter 9 and 11 and grandson 2 on May bank holiday Monday. Weather was good had a good day. We thought it was a bit expensive for over 2 and would not have taken my grandson with us had we had to pay for him. We did buy an arm band for him but he didn't want to go on any rides. He loved climbing halfway up your hill and rolling back down again. Why not include another price tarrif ie 2-4 say 7 pounds. They should not be charged the same as older children. Less complaints more visitors. We all loved the animals many that can't be seen elsewhere in Essex. Apart from the main food outlets. There was no where to buy a drink, ice cream or sweets etc so could you not put a few kiosks around the site. I am disabled and use a walking from because of poor mobility and i have a blue badge. I was pleased to get a discount on my ticket but I was disappointed to find only 4 disabled parking spaces. We had to park the car quite a long way from main enterence. We had to queue for quite a long time to get in but there were no seats to sit on. Although there were plenty of seats around the farm there is none near the goat bridge between the children's climbing area near the wallabys and the otter enclosure. Would it not be possible to have more wheelchairs for hire or even a mobility scooter hire. I appreciate that this attraction is geared to children but even disabled grandparents like to join in the fun. Hope you don't mind my moans and suggestions just a few things that could make a good day even better. My family will visit again. Linda (very achey and tied nanny) from Leigh on sea

1  Thank linmum

Thank you for your very welcome and thoughtful review and we do appreciate your comments which are most constructive. We are reviewing the number of specialist disabled parking spaces but what we try and do on busy days is ensure that visitors with special needs and mobility problems can get near the entrance and visitors with special needs that are not related to mobility park in the main car park and I am sorry we did not achieve that with you. We will certainly look as you suggest at seating around the farm but do have tables at the top and adjacent to the goat bridge but will look at them tomorrow to see if we need more. Also we have a completely free wheelchair available for visitors to use but mobility scooters are difficult in outdoor attractions as our friends at other places have told us and we have not gone down that route. Always open to relook at it though.
so when you are thinking of coming back get in touch in advance and we will be delighted to have you as our guests and go round with you to see how we can improve. Glad you had a good time, from a tired and achy responder!

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Well I don't often feel the need to vent my spleen but this place was so appalling I felt I had to. Notwithstanding the vastly overpriced entry fees, which you can normally stomach if you enjoy the day, the staff were disinterested, the rides are poor, and the facilities in general are pretty dire.

The kindest thing I can say about this place is that at least the water was warm at the hand-washing points.

The worst aspect of our visit was the experience I, and several other families, had in the cafe. We queued to order, which is fine, but then after waiting over 20 minutes for my food, and having watched lots of other orders placed after me being dealt with, I felt I had to deal with the situation. I was told that my order had been missed off, for which I just said 'This is ridiculous, just give me a refund'.

The young member of staff the proceeded to mutter amongst her colleagues, making me wait some more, so I again requested a refund. She then proceeded to argue with me that she was already serving somebody and I should wait my turn. Further comments were made by us both, and several other customers also proceeded to complain, which culminated in her swearing at us!

I work in retail and to swear at or in the presence of customers is the ultimate cardinal sin so I asked her for her name, she refused so I spoke to the manager who accepted that the cafe was under-staffed, the service given was not good enough, that this girl was out of order for swearing in a cafe full of kids and she would be dealt with in the severest terms. He offered us free return tickets, which we politely declined.

I would sooner swallow rusty razor blades than inflict this god-awful place on my family again.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

2  Thank Paul D
Macdonald F, Owner at Old MacDonald's Farm, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

We were really sorry that an argument that this person had with another family who he wrongly thought had been served ahead of him got heated and that he made comments they found racially offensive, and that he misheard one of our staff trying to calm down the situation and would not come and look and listen to the audio/CCTV before going. I have apologised to the black family concerned and all others in the cafe and am sure that he has not reconsidered his actions and regret that his day was spoiled by his thinking he was being ignored.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Visited Old Macdonalds farm over the bank holiday weekend. It was busy, as you would expect, and the weather was nice as you would not. All in all my wife, 10 month old son and I enjoyed ourselves. He laughed at the animals and enjoyed the noise and commotion of all the people. The farm was clean and well kept and the animals were spritely and seemed to enjoy the attention they were receiving. I felt the standard entry fee was a little high although there are plenty of offers online if you are prepared to look before you go. We will definitely visit again sometime this summer, I would have rated it good but the rating only allows average then very good.

Macdonald F, Owner at Old MacDonald's Farm, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Thank you for your honest and welcome review and you are right about looking on line for great deals. The sound of happy children is music to our ears and we have mixed feelings hearing them crying as their parents drag them out at the end of the day! So do come back and when you do please say hello, and perhaps next time your child will encourage you to up the star ratings!

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Unbelievably over priced. Tacky and dated. Miserable staff. Kids indoor play area was dirty. 10 mins to walk around the farm with depressed looking animals and probably an 45 mins to walk round the whole park. The only saving grace were the bouncy castles which our boys spent most of there time. To think that we paid £56 for our children to play on some bouncy castles is a total rip off. After a couple of hours couldn't wait to leave. Never to return.

I am really sorry this person did not enjoy their visit and actually the farm and grounds are part of the whole but perhaps they did not pick up the farm map and therefore see the whole place as it takes a good hour and a half just to walk around. However if they are coming back and I hope they do and say hello we will give them the full OMD experience that we want all our guests to have.