“Absolutely Disgusting! please read 21/02/2013”

Old MacDonald's Farm
Ranked #2 of 32 things to do in Brentwood
More attraction details
Owner description: Animal attraction with farmyard favourites, exotic animals, rides, slides and unique animated singing chickens and frogs all included in the entry fee. Set on the edge of the M25 and handy for east London as well as Essex and all points north and south, this award winning leisure farm is educational and fun.
Reviewed February 21, 2013

well i thought i would give this farm the benefit of doubt as people have there own opinions but must say i agree with majority of the reviews on here. were do i start,the prices to get in are way to expensive ,the official site boasts of being able to pet the animals which is just not true there was a rope barrier then wire fencing so no petting could be done unless u had go gadget arms ,you had to pour the food through a hole which does not in in my 8yr and 4yr old class as feeding the animals ,only one ride was open today .As far as animal welfare goes this is very poor again there was no shelter ,water ,food available for a range of animals ,there was a tortoise with a burnt shell from the heat lamps being to low and no food or fresh water! and as for the so called manager Jason who is rude and very unhelpful as when we put to him the state some animals and our concerns he did not want to listen ,i also requested a refund as was only there 30 mins he just said that they do not do refunds . TOTAL WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY ,DO NOT GO!!!!!

2  Thank Kdeehy
Macdonald F, Owner at Old MacDonald's Farm, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

I do not know how we missed this review but remember the reviewer and do not miss him. When someone comes in and abuses in the foulest and unlawful way a member of staff they are asked to leave, and then threaten and blackmail the staff with putting a review on Trip Advisor. We did report this, but now see the review is still here. Hey ho. Still, whoever Jason is we will speak to them. We do not have a Jason here, and hopefully do not ever have this person back again! Anyone who uses capital letters in an email or review is slightly suspect. This person I am afraid is totally appalling. Our sympathies to his family.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

This place is ok for maybe 2 hours max. Prices for entry are ridiculous. Food could be a lot better. Suggest take your own food and drink.

2  Thank GeoffEssex_11
Macdonald F, Owner at Old MacDonald's Farm, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

We are always sorry when customers are disappointed and do regret that. Of course people are welcome to bring their own food and drink and we have lots of picnic areas around the farm but our cafe does offer lots of options with kiddie meals, jackets, sandwiches and other food, and people always enjoy the range as well as our first class coffee too.

On the entry fee, we offer our wide range of farmyard favourites and also exotic animals such as the meerkats, otters, wallabies and the range of owls with the snowy chicks but this week our guests have enjoyed seeing the new born goat kids, just a few days old when this person visited, and they are delightful. Also on top of that are the rides and slides, with the carousel, train ride, mechanical horse ride and as it is a school holiday, the roller coaster every afternoon, all in the entry fee and all advertised on our website and publicity. Then there are the animated shows with the singing chickens, bull frog trio and the trouble with the truck, plus indoor play facilities with soft play and the barn battles in another building. We have the outdoor construction site play area and have just re designed our adventure play zone.

So with all this in our entry fee our customers average stay is 4.5 hours, as it takes at least 2 hours to just walk around our 16 acre site to meet the animals which is of course the main reason to come, and then at least two more to enjoy the rides which you can go on as many times as you like.

So perhaps this person would like to get in touch, come again as our guest, and then we can ensure they receive the full experience to make up for any disappointment felt. We always welcome constructive criticism and many of our changes here are visitor led by us receiving positive ideas from our thousands of happy clients.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Very expensive for not alot!
took our own lunch , but bought food for the aniamls , was a rather expensive day out but we wasnt even there long, could do with more animals!

1  Thank Natasha S
Macdonald F, Owner at Old MacDonald's Farm, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

It is always a shame on the rare occasions our visitors do not think they have value for money, but we are a little surprised that this visitor did not think we have many animals. We have a wide range of farmyard favourites with sheep, many breeds of goats, some of whom have spring kids already, Kune Kune pigs and cattle, plus Alpacas and Llamas, Rheas, Wallabies, Reindeer, Fallow Deer and more. We have meerkats and otters, plus owls including some snowy chicks and our European Eagle Annie, and an aviary with a variety of exotic birds. We have rabbits and guinea pigs plus ferrets and chipmunks and so much more, as well as the rides, slides, indoor and outdoor play areas and the carousel too all in the entry fee. So if the customer would get in touch with us we would love her to come back and visit again to see if we can change her mind on our value for money animal attraction

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I have never written a review before for anything but felt I had to after reading a certain comment on this site! My wife, daughter (aged 4) and I went to visit the farm on Sunday 3rd feb which was a bitterly cold day but had a great day dispite the weather. There is plenty to do rain or shine as a lot of the attractions are also indoors or undercover. From petting and feeding the animals to riding on the train, slides and roller coaster your find that your day will be enjoyed by all, young and old. The caterpillar roller coaster ride is great and the operator on the day that we visited was wonderful even though it was so cold. He interacted with the children and made sure that everyone was having a good time and were enjoying themselves. He is a credit to the farm! So in all, from the animals to the rides and indoor activities you will find lots to do and leave having had a great day.

2  Thank SteveCharCall
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We took advantage of the 3.99 offer to visit today so thankfully not much money was wasted on a horrid visit. I understand its winter however the enclosers were horrendous! The emus were standing in about 6inches(plus) of boggy mud with no place to go with dry ground, The rabbits (all of which are VERY overweight and some had sores) were again kept in bad conditions, soiled sawdust gathering mould in corners, mouldy water bottles. Next to the wallabies was a machine to get feed for them, I went to purchase some to find it was all mouldy! My next horrific find was one of the pigs having his head stuck in some barbed wire! I removed this myself as he was in distress and stuff seemed uninterested (there was a gentleman putting hay out that had also seen this and ignored it) I could go on and on about the abuse of the animals here but I am sure you get the picture. To me it feels that they have realised they can make more money with all the rides and soft play so the animals have been pushed to the side and forgotten. The staff here are possibly the rudest I have ever come across! We went into the cafe to get a coffee and warm up (£2 for a very small and rather horrid coffee) the hygiene levels in here are disgusting, I did not see 1 member of staff with gloves on and at one point I see one of the young girls take a raw burger to put on the grill and then promptly went to cut open and serve a jacket potato (touching the potato to open it) The language these young "ladies" were using was appalling and not something I would expect in a family environment not to mention the loud unchild friendly music being played. Although all I ordered was a diet coke and a black coffee they still managed to mess it up and then was once again rude to my partner when he returned with his coffee as they had given him a white one, They claimed I ordered a white (I did not) and was nothing to do with them. In the end they changed it. By this point we needed to leave or I was going to blow my top! I would NEVER go back here again, I am gutted the pictures I took did not come out well as I will be calling rspca and defra in the morning regarding some of the stuff I have seen today. Please do not support this "farm"

6  Thank Rebecca H
Macdonald F, Owner at Old MacDonald's Farm, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

We are always sorry when someone has not had a good time and always welcome constructive criticism of the farm and in particular on animal welfare. However we do not have any Emus at the farm and if people have concerns about the animals there are lots of signs asking customers to tell us and discuss it at the time. If this person has visited the farm as they say and has photos then surely in the interests of the animals it would be a good idea to send them to us to look at first. However we will await any contact from DEFRA and the RSPCA, with whom we work closely and who we assist when they have animals from other areas they would like to place. The rabbits are actually in very new enclosures with lots of room and are cleaned regularly, and really if a pig was trapped and one of our animal keepers within a short distance why on earth not talk to him at the time. Not quite logical.
Therefore the comments about the staff in the cafe lose some impact and as for allegations of unhealthy practice, well you can see from the scores on the door emblem that we have been assessed. So if the reviewer would like to get in touch we would love to discuss these complaints as we do want to improve If not then one questions the review, particularly with reference to the non existant Emus.