“Relaxing”
Review of Alec's Restaurant

Alec's Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 159 Restaurants in Brentwood
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Business meetings, Scenic view, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“Relaxing”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Alec's is an impressive venue. Decor is clean, stylish and comfortable.
There seems to be plenty of staff (maybe too many?) that are attentive and friendly. This doesn't seem like a Brentwood restaurant, more West End, but it's nice to have somewhere special to go to in Essex for special occasions.
However, with style, comes a price, .... The food is beautifully presented and delicious ( shame the portions aren't slightly bigger).

I will of course go back, just hope they read the constructive comments and think about portions matching the size of the price.

• Visited September 2012

London, United Kingdom
“Perfect seafood”
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

We went to Alec's on the recommendation of a friend to celebrate a family birthday. It was a freezing snowy day and we had the table by the fireplace......perfect. Food was absolutely fab but selecting. Starter was difficult as there was such a great choice. The majority of us had the lobster Thermidor for our mains but some had fish, regardless every morsel disappeared. We were somewhat underwhelmed when we saw the desert menu, but we were pleasantly surprised when our choices arrived, the Knickerbockerglory was a brilliant choice.

Alec's is not cheap.......but you get what you pay for in life and this place is definitely worth paying for. We have booked our return visit for my birthday in June and hoping to get a table overlooking the terrace and a beautiful summers evening this time.

Visited March 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
“Back to how it should be”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I wrote a review of Alec's Christmas time, food was good but the service well below par.

Thankfully today it was back to how it was when it first opened - all the food was good and the service was superb, felt really looked after.

Have been left wondering if this is simply down to us going on a Sunday lunchtime rather than an evening, but certain hope it is the restaurant taking note and investing in their staff.

• Visited April 2013
London
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't believe the hype”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Went here really looking forward to a nice evening for my wife's birthday . After hearing so many people talk about how great the food was I thought I couldn't go wrong with Alec' s . The starter was nice . But our mains were very over priced , and very average tasting . The steak was no different to something you would buy out of tescos . My waitress dropped my chips all over the table and my lap , and by the time my new chips where cooked I had eaten my steak . The atmosphere was dull and boring and the tables were so close to each other I felt like I had come out for dinner with half the people In there . All in all I really don't see what the big fuss is about , I certainly won't be going back

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Colin B
Chigwell, Essex
“Step through the front door in Brentwood, end up in the west end!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My first visit to Alec's and took my two sons in law as a treat for them. We are all well-travelled and have eaten in some fine dining venues. Both well versed on good food. When we stepped through the door, it was west end style, with plenty of staff to take coats check off our reservation and make us feel special. I wanted to start off with the boys with a drink at the bar and we were shown up a white spiral staircase to comfy bar with sofas and seating and our drink order was taken immediately. This gave us time to study the extensive menu and wine list. You need time; it's one of those menus where you fancy everything!
We had the scallops to start with and we all agreed we had not tasted finer! I won't bore you with the courses, but my lads reckoned it was the best meal out they ever had. Me, I can’t wait to go back. Great staff, food, service and ambience. Cost is what you would expect when wining and dining this quality. Not cheap, but I felt it was about right for the night.
OH, should mention one of the boys is not a fish lover, so he put away a sizeable fillet steak, surf and turf, which looked delicious, so don't think they don't cater for the carnivores.
PS I hear that children below the age of 12 are not allowed in the restaurant, so be aware!

• Visited March 2013