“not as good”
Review of The Black Horse

The Black Horse
Ranked #31 of 158 Restaurants in Brentwood
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Black Horse in Brentwood is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Upminster
“not as good”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Ate there last night, no problem with ordering a drink or meals. Starters arrived and were nice. Main meal took ages to arrive and had to eventually ask where it was. Apparently we had ordered after a party of 8 (there was 2 of us) but the meals were just being plated. 10 minutes later they arrived.
Food good quality, Various items were not available mainly the chicken dishes , service very poor, Disappointed as have eaten there before without the service problems.
Am going back in 2 weeks time so will see what its like then

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Julie C

Winchester, United Kingdom
“Sweet pub, nice staff reliable good standard of food”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Have visited this pub many times over the 20 years as it is close to my parents house and we have never had anything but positive experiences at this pub. It has recently joined the vintage inn chain.. highly recommend it for a family sunday roast.

Visited December 2013
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very disapointing”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We arrived on time with 2 elderly relatives - were shown to a table , we waited 1 .25 hours for our food and nobody said sorry for the wait - one of us ordered sausage & mash - the sausages were burnt ,we told the waitress who replied "they go black when they are cooked " and went !,parts of the sausages were inedible .When I went to the bar to order more drinks & desert I told them again we had a problem with one of our meals & the man just said " Oh " .At the end of our meal I asked if they could reduce the bill due to the poor service & bad meal to which the waitress replied " I told you the sausages go black when they are cooked " I then said we wont be coming back here & she just shrugged her shoulders .
In my opinion the food is over priced & average .The staff should be ashamed with the standard of service they give . We were very disappointed to say the least . This is the first bad review I have ever given so its shows how bad the whole experience was .

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank patsym214
Brentwood, UK
“above average establishment”
Reviewed December 12, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The food at the Black House is not bad and the portion sizes good. The majority of the staff are friendly and helpful but the man behind tyke bar always seems add If he is doing tippya favor and not too happy to be there. Waiting times are alsoa bit too long for meals coming out when it doesn't appear to be that busy. The building and decor ate nice and the log fires ate a good touch. The toilets are slightly better average. Would recommend this place for a relaxed visit but not take people to impress.

Visited November 2013
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Grossly Over priced cafe food!”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Our friends booked this place, we didn't have big expectations but just assumed it would be good pub grub..
On arrival I thought what a lovely looking old pub, as we approached the entrance there were half a dozen smokers right outside the door who we had to squeeze through to get into the place. We entered and with its low ceilings and plenty of people in it had a good feel..
We were 3 couples and we was there to catch up and not expecting Michelin star quality but really and honestly the food is so poor, cheap ingredients mostly frozen but stuff, I would bet my house that the kitchen consists of very average food preparers and not one 'proper' chef,
I have never written a review before but felt compelled to say to others please don't waste your money on eating out at this place,
Highlite of my night was the waitress (who was actually very decent) but when I questioned my Steak being a Rib-Eye, it clearly wasn't , 2 others on our table had the same and having eaten many steaks and knowing a fair bit about butchery she argued that my small piece of rump steak was a Rib-eye, it was ridiculous and so obviously not a rib-eye.
We will never go here again unless we hear of a some serious changes..
£35 per head and I felt robbed.

• Visited November 2013