“Grossly Over priced cafe food!”
Review of The Black Horse

The Black Horse
Ranked #41 of 171 Restaurants in Brentwood
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Black Horse in Brentwood is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Our friends booked this place, we didn't have big expectations but just assumed it would be good pub grub..
On arrival I thought what a lovely looking old pub, as we approached the entrance there were half a dozen smokers right outside the door who we had to squeeze through to get into the place. We entered and with its low ceilings and plenty of people in it had a good feel..
We were 3 couples and we was there to catch up and not expecting Michelin star quality but really and honestly the food is so poor, cheap ingredients mostly frozen but stuff, I would bet my house that the kitchen consists of very average food preparers and not one 'proper' chef,
I have never written a review before but felt compelled to say to others please don't waste your money on eating out at this place,
Highlite of my night was the waitress (who was actually very decent) but when I questioned my Steak being a Rib-Eye, it clearly wasn't , 2 others on our table had the same and having eaten many steaks and knowing a fair bit about butchery she argued that my small piece of rump steak was a Rib-eye, it was ridiculous and so obviously not a rib-eye.
We will never go here again unless we hear of a some serious changes..
£35 per head and I felt robbed.

1  Thank BK72foodie

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I recently put an unfavourable review about the Black Horse of which I will not go into detail again even though that first review has now been taken off, but you only have to read all the other reviews about this establishment to see it has problems.

I was contacted by the manager who agreed with all that I had written and said that he was working hard to rectify the poor level of service and would be talking to the chefs in order to improve quality and delivery of orders to each table.

2  Thank JAFFAEssex
Reviewed October 25, 2013

My first visit, staff very pleasant but clearly overworked. I had the Forestiers Chicken, very small portion of overcooked chicken supposedly stuffed with cheese, I couln't find the cheese. Red wine gravy accompaniment was cold, asked for a hot one it was taken away and zapped in microwave still cold. Gave up. One mushroom and a spoonful of dried up cabbage made up the seasonal veg part of dish. My date had fish pie which also had some dried up cabbage with it. Shared a cheese board One glass of beer. £35. Won't be going back.

1  Thank Eileen S
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This was our first visit to the Black Horse but it will not be our last. Wanting a roast we opted for the half of chicken. The meat was succulent and moist really tasty. The vegetables a good mix of local fresh produce cooked to perfection. Our wine was a Chateunuef du pape 2010 which was silky and smooth, and we enjoyed a good Chablis with our desert.
The staff were really attentive and helpful even though they were rushed off of their feet, they put you at your ease. A lovely atmosphere had us staying 4 and half hours to sample the excellent desert menu and liqueur coffees. Highly recommended for food and attention to detail.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I've eaten in The Black Horse a few times before and had good experiences but recently it has gone seriously downhill. I visited with my mother on a Saturday night. It took ages for anyone to take our drinks order, then another long wait for our drinks to arrive, then for our food order to be taken then even longer for our food to arrive. When the food came up it was clear that nearly everything had been microwaved and there was a long hair cooked into the middle of my chicken breast. The waiter took my food away and I ordered cod and chips instead. The chips were average and my microwaved mushy peas were half cold. They knocked 2 glasses of wine off of our bill but this was not to the same value as my meal that had hair in it. Avoid this pub if you want quality food!

1  Thank Charley Y