“Lovely food”

The Black Horse
Ranked #39 of 165 Restaurants in Brentwood
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Black Horse in Brentwood is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed February 2, 2013

The service is fantastic and the food is good, I have never had such a good steak and my husband had the plaice which was also fantanstic. Service very good. A lovely place to have a nice meal.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

it's fine it there's no alternative for fussy kids who like chips and are not adventurous (if so, try other better gastro pubs). or if you have a large group of families meeting for a pub meal. but this is ok for beer and service and ok for food. we went again one lunchtime and the service was not as good and the food just reheated from brakes bros.

1  Thank ps_pause
Reviewed December 27, 2012

My husband and I went on Boxing Day with my daughter and her partner, which we pre-booked.
We had a three course meal, in which every course was excellent. Nothing was too much trouble for the waitresses, who were really sweet and helpful. They cleared the plates away quickly and brought the next course without keeping us waiting!
We all really enjoyed our different meals and can't wait to come back again!!

Nice touch with the Christmas crackers on the table and card containing vouchers for us.
Thank you to everyone concerned. We highly recommend it!
Diana Marner

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Would advise to book good surrounding nice pub to eat in, good quality food priced well staff very polite and work hard food arrived pretty quick been here several times would come again give it a try would recommend to family and friends.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Have occasionally visited for lunch for a number of years and could always rely on a better than average pub meal at a realistic price. However, our most recent lunch about 10 days ago was definately not up to usual standard. We waited quite a while to have drinks orders taken, but as we had no reason to hurry this was OK. Orders were eventually taken and starters served. Not as good as the starters we had been served the week before at another Vintage Inn but adequate. A long time passed before our main meal arrived and we ordered more drinks. They didn't arrive. A passing waiter asked if we would like more drinks and when he heard we had ordered said he would hurry them along. We eventually finished our mains,(well below normal standard) and were asked if we would like dessert. No thank you, we would like our drinks and perhaps coffees, please? Waitress vanishes, not taking coffee orders.! After waiting a considerable time we decide to go home for coffee, and as I get up to pay, a waiter is coming towards us with our drinks order. I explain we have waited too long. Sorry, he says and goes to make up bill. I think a little more staff may have eased these problems, and it is a false economy to expect few people to do the work of many. The money the place will lose in drinks orders etc., would more than pay for another waiter / waitress. I will go back, as I do like this pub, but if the next visit is as bad, will take my custom elsewhere.

1  Thank Jenny1946Hornchurch