“Nice place to eat”

The Black Horse
Ranked #43 of 171 Restaurants in Brentwood
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Black Horse in Brentwood is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Would advise to book good surrounding nice pub to eat in, good quality food priced well staff very polite and work hard food arrived pretty quick been here several times would come again give it a try would recommend to family and friends.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Have occasionally visited for lunch for a number of years and could always rely on a better than average pub meal at a realistic price. However, our most recent lunch about 10 days ago was definately not up to usual standard. We waited quite a while to have drinks orders taken, but as we had no reason to hurry this was OK. Orders were eventually taken and starters served. Not as good as the starters we had been served the week before at another Vintage Inn but adequate. A long time passed before our main meal arrived and we ordered more drinks. They didn't arrive. A passing waiter asked if we would like more drinks and when he heard we had ordered said he would hurry them along. We eventually finished our mains,(well below normal standard) and were asked if we would like dessert. No thank you, we would like our drinks and perhaps coffees, please? Waitress vanishes, not taking coffee orders.! After waiting a considerable time we decide to go home for coffee, and as I get up to pay, a waiter is coming towards us with our drinks order. I explain we have waited too long. Sorry, he says and goes to make up bill. I think a little more staff may have eased these problems, and it is a false economy to expect few people to do the work of many. The money the place will lose in drinks orders etc., would more than pay for another waiter / waitress. I will go back, as I do like this pub, but if the next visit is as bad, will take my custom elsewhere.

1  Thank Jenny1946Hornchurch
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I recently had an enjoyable family lunch for eight people at The Black Horse, operated by the Vintage Inns country pub & restaurant chain.
Situated on the Ongar Road close to Brentwood, the pub has a warm and welcoming feel with its rustic styled interior including open fires and comfy lounge seating together with its friendly staff. The dining area is divided up to create more intimate areas for small and larger tabled dining requirements. There is an excellent choice of dishes with generous portions from either the main, the set price or daily specials menus, which include a choice of excellent roasts. The food was definitely superior both in quality and portion sizes to the similar Chef & Brewer venues albeit Vintage Inns are slightly more expensive. The restaurant is ideal for couples, friends and families with children either for coffee, bar drinks or a full meal. Booking a table in advance is essential particularly on busy weekends. There is adequate car parking, including disabled spaces, upon the frontage. I shall definitely return or seek another Vintage Inns restaurant locally. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

I have visited this pub on and off for 30 years and, like other nearby Vintage Inns, I have seen gradual decline of the quality and quantity of food and service. Vegetables are sometimes undercooked and Hunters Chicken is only half the size it used to be. The number staff has been reduced and service suffers because of this.

I have in the past complained to Vintage Inn online and have been offered a free meal. However, I would prefer not to have the hassle.

1  Thank Essex2
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Had a beautiful lunch with my family and all had great food!
we had cooked food and some sandwichs for others.
They were all really friendly staff and really went out of their way to help us all as i had a baby and an oap with us.

2  Thank amandarachel72