“Great food and service”

Ranked #17 of 129 Restaurants in Braintree
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Fowler's Farm in Braintree is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Yesterday I visited Fowlers Farm for a lunchtime meal with my husband and two friends. On arrival we were made to feel very welcome by the staff and were told that that in addition to the extensive menu and specials board there were a range of pies to choose from as 'Wednesday is Pie Day'. We had already made tentative choices from the on-line menu before leaving home but were tempted by the mouth watering pie menu. After enjoying our starter courses my husband chose the three cheeses and onion pie with Mediterranean vegetables in a tomato sauce which he declared delicious. The remaining three of us chose two braised beef and merlot pies and one fish pie with winter green vegetables. We all agreed that they tasted just like the best home cooking and were so satisfied that we only had room for coffees.

We have eaten at this pub and restaurant with family and friends several times in the past fifteen years and have noticed that, since Damian arrived as Manager, he has created a warm ambience that makes the surroundings feel inviting and homely. This is reflected in the friendly efficient service provided by his staff. We will be eating at Fowlers Farm more often now.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Well the last time I ate here was about 2 yrs ago and after that I didnt want to go back. However being someone who likes to support local business i thought lets go again.
We had to wait 20 mins on Sunday afternoon , this was no problem and staff seemed good.

After being sat down we waiting about 15 mins before being asked for drinks . We all went for roasts. A table of 2 sat next to us ordered 10 mins after us and their food came first. We waited 35 mins for mains.

All our food was luke warm (especially veg), meat totally overcooked . We were so hungry that we ate it anyway but I really should have sent it back . The table next to us sent their entire 6 person order back also for being cold.

All in all I wont be going back !!!

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Pricey pub food cooked from frozen - wouldn't go back nor recommend to anyone £50 spent on fast food not my idea of a good meal

Reviewed January 20, 2014

From the moment we were greeted at the door by the chirpy Irish landlord,Darren, I knew we were in for a treat. We were seated at a table by a fire which was truly blazing and given our menus. We then ordered our drinks, me a pint of Doombar (so good, i had to have another 4),
and a glass of Rioja for Mrs T. We then ordered our food with our waiter Niall who advised us to have the sharing platter for 2. GREAT CHOICE!!! Beef, pork and turkey all on the same plate served with perfectly cooked veg, yorkie puddings and the crispiest roast potatoes I have had in years. We were stuffed at the end of this but naughty Niall placed a pudding menu on our table and we couldn't resist. A crumble with custard AND ice cream for me and a brownie tower for Mrs T both were amazing!
We were so happy with everything that we booked a table for next Sunday while we were paying our very reasonable bill.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Welcoming staff and good traditional pub food. We eat on a Sunday and the roast was great. Staff service excellent.