“DO NOT STAY HERE” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Old Court Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Braintree
The Old Court Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Braintree
Surrey
“DO NOT STAY HERE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2010

Quite possibly the worst hotel ever. Do not book this place, its prehistoric and stinks of cats pee!! The hotel is dark and smelly and the rooms were filthy. The owners are very odd and wait up for you, to give you your key. Its a very strange set up. The shower head was taped up with duck tape and the bath was disgustingly dirty. I could not sleep in the bed as i was freaked out by the dirty blanket and when we got up in the morning, i was covered in flee bites. Don't be fooled by the owner (a German lady) to have breakfast at £4 each, its a rip off for a bowl of cereal, tea and a slice of toast.
Please do not part with your £50, this place is not worth the money!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
10 Thank Foxymars

Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2009

Stayed in the family room with two young children. A double aspect room overlooking the garden - lovely and bright. We were made very welcome and the children enjoyed exploring round the hotel. Yes the rooms are dark in the main part but that's what you get when you choose a hotel that in a a building hundreds of years old. If you want big and bright, stay in a Travel Lodge. Breakfast was served at a reasonable time and was lovely. Plenty for the children and they found my son a specific yoghurt he wanted. We had comfortable beds and enjoyed our stay so much we have been back again and plan to use the hotel regularly as it is convenient to visit family. It doesn't need all the gimicks you find at big hotel chains - if you want those go elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Greenredjellybelly
Southend
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2009

You will never get into this hotel, you wont be given a key and the old guy will wait up for you and the woman will tell you to be back no later than 1am so they can go to bed. A tired old hotel, not bar, no breakfast suited to contractors only but even they would probably prefer their vans!

Stayed March 2008
5 Thank DB77777

Travelers are raving about these Braintree hotels

Huddersfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2008

I recently stayed at the Old Court Hotel in Braintree. I had been given information of the place by a friend who had also recently stayed there. It seems the building has been given an internal face lift. A little bit more modern.
I had been told that the building sat on the oldest street in Braintree and with that many ghost stories were also relayed to me. Beeing a keen ghost hunter i took with me all the necessary equipment. I had a very eventful evening and will be visiting the building again in the next few months. The owners were also a very nice couple indeed. Stuart the owner made me feel very at home.

• Liked — The friendly service. The character of the building and the town of Braintree
  • Disliked — No bar although there is a public house across the road.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2006

I recently stayed at this B&B because there had been a problem with my original hotel (overbooked). As I handed fifty pounds over to the woman behind the grotty reception, I had this unmistakable feeling I was going to regret it. I did. The whole place is like something out of a eerie haunted house film. It’s very dark inside, even though it’s a bright sunny day outside. I also got the feeling my fifty quid was welcome, but I wasn't.

The small woman who runs and owns the hotel has a strong German accent and it’s hard to understand what she was saying, but what ever it was, she was obviously a very suspicious woman who constantly harassed me. Kicking out time was 10:30 and this was rigorously enforced even to the point of coming into my small room while I was on the very small toilet and asking me to leave.

When I'd come in the previous night everything was locked up, luckily she'd forgotten to lock the back door which leads from the garden, so I got in that way, I helped myself to my key from reception and tip toed to my room. The next day I was interrogated by the German woman and accused of breaking-in and stealing a room key for another room. I removed myself from this place as quick as I could.

As I made my way out, I began to feel relived to be outside once again in the fresh morning air of the towns' ring road system. I walked to the town centre (5-10 mins) and gratefully found a taxi.

Bed soft & small, shower small, room small, reception small, owner small minded. Only go to this place if you've got your mother with you and you can speak fluent German.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Entering
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't come in late, because you'll get locked out
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
      Check in / front desk
15 Thank JuandeBarca
Also consider these accommodations in or near Braintree
White Hart Hotel
#1 of 1 in Halstead
Essex Golf & Country Club
Essex Golf & Country Club
#1 of 2 in Earls Colne

Been to The Old Court Hotel? Share your experiences!