White Hart Hotel
$62
HIExpress.com
$66
PremierInn.com
Premier Inn Braintree (A120) Hotel(Braintree)(Great Value!)
PremierInn.com
Hare & Hounds(Braintree)
$73
The Bull Hotel(Halstead)
$47
$62
The Drapers Hotel(Earls Colne)
$81
$91
$85
Travelodge Colchester Feering(Feering)(Great Value!)
$58
Travelodge
All reviewsold buildingold english innslick of paintbar arealots of charactercentral locationlovely breakfastevening mealnight stayfamily memberswedding receptionexcellent value for moneycannot faultfull english breakfaststayed for one nightstevebeams
Reviewed April 16, 2014

The location of the White Hart was excellent for the purpose of our trip - to visit family in Great Leighs and Springfield. Helen was exceptionally helpful and pleasant - check in and check out were both very quick and courteous. Helen was also able to recommend a local restaurant, and even secured a reservation last minute on a Saturday nite (although I do not know what I was thinking, we should have eaten at the restaurant in the hotel!!). Breakfast, which we were not aware was included with our room, was lovely - many selections of cold cereals, fruits, yogurts, and pastries, in addition to a lovely selection of hot meals from the breakfast menu. We indulged in a Full English each morning, and were never disappointed. We also stopped into the restaurant one afternoon for coffee and desserts - delightful!! The pub in the hotel was a great convenience as well - we were able to invite family members to join us, and we had a very pleasant time. The wait staff were all very professional and polite. The room itself was very efficient, always clean, and featured wonderful black out draperies which allowed us to have a much needed lie in the day after we had arrived from the United States.

The cons: The mattress and pillows in our room were quite uncomfortable - it seemed both had seen better days and were in need of replacing. The most inconvenient feature of the room (room 11), and all of the rooms surrounding ours, were the outdated deadbolts on the doors. The doors literally had to be slammed shut, there was no way of closing the room door quietly. We were disturbed, and most likely disturbed our surrounding guests, daily by doors having to be slammed at all hours of the morning and night.

With a few updates, The White Hart could be absolutely perfect. As it stands, I think I would stay at the Premier Inn, but have meals/drinks at the White Hart.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Steve B, General Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay. I am glad that we were able to assist you with your arrangements and that you enjoyed your time in the hotel. We hope that you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Excellent meal, I met family and old friends for a luncheon and as usual it was just as I remembered it when I lived in Braintree over 25 yrs age. Wonderful variety on the menu, cooked to perfection.
We were in England last week and my in laws from Yorkshire stayed and were very pleased with their room. Said everything very clean
Only draw back was the light in the room was hanging too low.
Recommend anyone traveling from any country, if you want to be in the heart of a charming English town, stay at The White Hart in Braintree.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Steve B, Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

It is always encouraging to hear that guests have had a great experience at The White Hart. Thank you for your kind comments and for taking the time and trouble to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

We were very pleased with our one night stay here. We arrived at lunch time on the Saturday and decided to have lunch in the restaurant. It was very good and we would recommend it. The room was clean and tidy although the bed was a bit lumpy. Breakfast the next morning was good with plenty of choices. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank rjhayward24
Steve B, Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the White Hart. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Have uploaded plenty of photos for you to get the feel of the place. Stayed here for a one night Tuesday midweek. Reason for stay to help the wife break up her 3 hours a day travel to and from home.

Travelled with a 4 year old child and for £55 we had the family room.

I arrived at 3pm with child. Wife arrived at 6pm after work.

FREE PARKING FOR BOTH CARS included in the £55
FREE BREAKFAST
FREE WiFi

Can you get better than that?

I expected a small pub with a few rooms and was suprised. It is central in the town and has a big car park. The pub is big. The Hotel is big.

Stayed in room 28 and they have all had a refurb. Again see my pics for details. Nice bathroom and shower. Beds good.

On arrival I noticed our childs bed was not made up so I did this myself. Bumped into housekeeping later and she was really applogeticic that she hadnt done it (She was telling me - I didnt complain) Anyway she went up and did a hotel job on it so I was pleased.

Had a drink in the bar which was quiet at 4pm £5.15 for a beer and an Appletiser.

At 6pm wife arrived. Some delay and heavy traffic rush hour so be warned its busy peak times of 5pm to 7pm in Braintree town.

We went straight to dinner at 6.30pm and we were well served and had cheerful staff. Had starters a salad for £5 which is walnuts and stilton etc A BIG BIG salad. Loads on there.

Mains both had the sizzling fahitas. Nice at £11 each. No worries there.

About to leave table and owner (Simon?) collard us for the desert menu. Said to him I was popping child to bed then we would grab puddings. Said maybe would do it room service. He said not to as they are very busy and room service is quite difficult. No problems at all for me. Totally understand.

So child to bed and popped to bar for deserts (£6 each) and doubles to take back to the room. We also took the remainder of the wine back and had a very nice party up in room 28.

Bed time and I was worried about the quality of sleep because
a) We are in the middle of town and the traffic is audiable. When you get a boy racer rev up near the lights it was noisy.
b) The window was missing a double glazed panel so one window only had single glass.

Neednt have worried. Slept like a log. Maybe it was those doubles!

MORNING: Up at 8 for brekkie... Back to the resteraunt from last night.

FREE MORNING NEWSPAPERS Laying about.

A good choice of pick n mix
A good choice from the hot menu.

Can I really moan about this place? No not really. For £55 I had a blast. If I had to be ultra picky I would add these.
1) The pillow inserts looked a bit old and grubby under the crisp white sheets - bin them!
2) The double glazing was missing in room 28
3) Errrr thats it !

So the question is would I go back? The fast answer is yes but there is only one slight problem. 4 year old was complaining of "Nothing to do" She knows up the road at Premier Inn there is an indoor (small) softplay in the resteraunt so she wants us to go back there next time. We will see...

Have a look at the pics. I have tried to give you the best view of this place but just know its quite a big place not a small pub with a few rooms.

Room Tip: Room 28 was nice BUT its road facing.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank 365drills

Thank you for your in-depth review on your stay at the White Hart. We welcome all feedback and are delighted that you had a great time here. You have also added some great photos, and we hope that you do persuade your daughter to come and visit us again.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Stayed here in February 2014 and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I have stayed in a few of the Old English Inns and this one has got to be the best one yet. Staff very polite, helpful and attentive. I ask for a fan as my room was hot and a lovely young man called Chris got one for me. Lovely restaurant and food very good. Hotel in a brilliant location and very clean. If I had to find anything negative to say then it would be that I didn't get a room in the old part of the hotel,( rooms 1 to 8 ) even though I ask when I booked. This had nothing to do with the hotel as I booked through a comparison site. I had room 30 which was pleasant enough but only had a shower and I prefer a bath. The only other thing is the amount of stairs so be aware when you book.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lorraine C

Getting feedback on our team members is essential to us and Chris is delighted that you mentioned him personally. The hotel is an old coaching inn and does have quite a few stairs as you point out. Walk in showers are installed in the newer part of the building and some of the older block, with baths in the remaining rooms. Thank you for your review and we hope that you come back and visit us soon.