“an old building in Essex”
Review of White Hart Hotel

White Hart Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Braintree
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hotel is beautiful. We were given the superior suite for a very good price. It had a four poster bed and a beautiful bathroom. The room was very quiet and the bed very comfortable. We had a very good dinner in the hotel restaurant. Breakfast was varied and it also offered eggs benedict and croissants, fresh fruit and muffins. Very close to Stanstead airport

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at The White Hart Hotel. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Whenever i check in to a Hotel or an Inn it always strikes ‘Panic’ in my heart if the receptionist says ‘The (so and so) might be busy tonight, as we have ‘A FUNCTION’ on’.
I dare say when Old Coaching Inns and the like, where originally opened and ‘wenching and wineing’ were the order of the day, it would be pretty early in the evening that ‘couples’ went off to bed to do the bawdy deed, and the singles to sleep off the wine. These days life styles have changed and some ‘INN’ type hotels still have the original floors and walls. They didn’t do much in the way of ‘Sound insulation’ back in the day when the Hunting horn was played as the coach arrived with another bunch of weary travellers, looking forward to a peaceful nights sleep. So when the word ‘Function’ was used as I handed over my Debit Card and car registration, it immediately struck me that our room would be directly over ‘The dreaded Function’ !
Bungay to London isn’t that far but after visiting a sick friend we thought we’d lighten our homeward mood by having two nights stop over in The White Hart, and sure as Hotel poached eggs is rubber eggs, there was .........a ‘Function’. It turned out to be as far as i could make out, a mothers day disco, attended (it would appear) by children and ‘Essex girls’ (not a lot of difference really)!
We reached our room and ‘Lo it came to pass’ that, although the room was lovely and quaint with pink walls and dark wood beams, it became apparent that it was directly above the.......’Function’.
At first the noise was a mild irritation, but the sound was soon ratcheted up and the worst possible music ( where only the bass line can be heard) was playing so loud we couldn’t hear the TV.
On arriving at reception I was greeted by Basil Fawltys brother and i enquired what time ‘Said Fuction’ would stop. He said 11’o clock. I went back to our room and it became apparent that half of Essex’s GIRLS were partying even louder. We could not relax and watch TV for a while (as we had planned) before going down to dinner so, again to reception with my wife in tow (in case i was tempted to chin Barry Fawlty, and we enquired was there another room available as the noise was unacceptable. ‘But its only half past seven’ said Barry to my complaint, ‘No one has ever complained at that time before!’ I politely called him a bloody liar and the annoying room change was carried out. The second room was tatty and ‘corporate’ but quieter. I was just wondering, does anyone know the official time that it is alright to complain that ‘My bloody room that i have paid for in hard earned cash expecting to get a decent nights rest and peace and quiet without sarcastic remarks by the person representing the Hotel (and chain, English Inns) is unaaceptable to the effect that I am complaining about a bloody nuisance that is affecting my rest at your ‘fine Hostelry’ The first and only time in many stays I have been told ‘You do not have the right to complain until.......O’clock ! What time should one complain. Answers on a postcard to

The shabby little Hotel,
With Barry Fawlty in command,
where cold breakfast is served,
by indifferent staff
and there are holes in the walls
CM7 9AB

Room Tip: My advice to travellers in choosing a room is to find out a) is there a function on that night. b) W...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The White Hart Hotel. The hotel is popular for functions at weekends and we do try to minimise disturbance to other guests. We are glad that alternative, quieter accommodation could be provided for you on the night, and we hope that you return to an Old English Inn soon.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

The customer experience starts in the car park for me, and unless you're driving a Smart car be prepared to put your parking skills to the test ...the space is tight!!
I stayed in a single room on business, and it was a single bed with a single quilt. OK I guess when you're 5 years old, but when you're 5ft 11" it means every movement left either back, front or feet exposed and cold. Not the best nights sleep that's for sure.
Redeemed by a lovely breakfast and excellent coffee the next morning.

Room Tip: Only book the single if you're teeny tiny, under 6 years old or totally knackered and don't...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
OldEnglishInns, Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank you for providing your feedback following your visit to The White Hart Hotel. Thank you also for your kind comment regarding breakfast and coffee and we are very sorry that the single room did not fulfil your requirements.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

My mum, myself and my daughter stayed at this hotel we checked in on the 1st and out on the 3rd of march 2013.
The decor of the hotel is very tired but there where new door frames etc being put on when we where there and we really dont know if there are more changes in the pipe-line. i think the fact the place is old does give the impression the place is not as clean as you would want but the bedding, towels, cups etc are spotless.
Where the hotel may lack in apperance the staff are amazing and nothing is too much trouble, they are attentive, happy and take the time to have a wee chat which makes it more personal. Also the food is top notch, the portions are big and everything was just right (my family love our food and would be the first to complain if something was bad) i would recommend this place to all of my family and freinds. Once again i would like to congratulate Steve and Helen for their wonderful choice of staff.
We have travelled alot and this is the first time we have bought a thank you card for the staff. x

Room Tip: I cannot comment on other rooms but ours was ideal for our needs.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
OldEnglishInns, Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciate your kind comments. It was a pleasure to have you here and thank you for the lovely card.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We spent our honeymoon here over 41 years ago, so it was with mixed feelings that we returned for an overnight stay to attend a family event nearby. In honesty the price £45 including breakfast was what attracted us and in fairness we had a very enjoyable visit. The main building is old but has a warm cosy atmosphere and the bar, lounge and restaurant were full of people and character. The rooms along the side and back are in a relatively newer block and at first sight are in need of a complete refurbishment. However I suspect this is reflected in the low price and in fairness the room although a little tired was clean, warm and comfortable, with a radiator and a portable heater as back up. Comfortable chairs were available and there was plenty of room. There was Tea and Coffee in the room. We were concerned as we were overlooking the back entrance and thought it might be noisy but in fact we had a good nights sleep. Again the bathroom looked tired but was functional with clean towels and plenty of hot water. There is a car park at the back and you are given a voucher for your stay. The hotel is very central for the town and shops. The full English breakfast was very good and it was nice to sit in the lounge afterwards and read the Sunday papers with the sunlight streaming through the window and a log fire blazing. The staff from the reception to the dining room were polite, cheerful and helpful. You felt welcome. On balance leaving aside the initial disappointment with the dated decor in the room we had a very enjoyable stay and at this price would certainly stay again, probably when we get divorced.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to put your comments online. I am glad that Steve and the team at The White Hart Hotel looked after you and you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We were staying in the Braintree because my partner had business in the area, and although we only stayed for one night, I can't fault the room. The hotel is centrally located for local shops, bars and the railway station.The open log fires are a distinct attraction. The bedroom was very warm and clean and the bed was the most comfortable I have slept in for a long time. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I wish we had had time to sample the food because it smelled delicious!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
OldEnglishInns, Manager at White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

We really appreciate you taking the time to pass on your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here at the White Hart Hotel and look forward to welcoming you back again, when hopefully you will get the chance to dine with us as well.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights last month and had a very enjoyable and comfortable stay. The atmosphere was very relaxing, the food was good and the service friendly. Being centrally located in the centre of town we were very well placed to walk around the Saturday market and visit the local museum (which was well worth the visit).

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Also consider these accommodations in or near Braintree
1 mi away
#1 of 2 in Sudbury
The Saracens Head Hotel
The Saracens Head Hotel
#2 of 3 in Great Dunmow

Been to White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!