“Good food... Slightly abrupt staff...”
Review of Masalla Indian Restaurant - CLOSED

Masalla Indian Restaurant
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
London, England
“Good food... Slightly abrupt staff...”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

It was on recommendation of a friend that we dined here on a Monday evening recently. The place wasn't empty (a good sign) and we were shown to a large table and given a high-chair for the grandson (a plus indeed for a family with a youngster who will know how hard it is to find an Indian restaurant with a high-chair).

The dips that arrived with our pupadums were predictable apart from the mint and yoghurt — which was not minty but creamy and very nice. Well done whoever thought that one up!

I ordered a Chicken Tikka Madras and wasn't over impressed - but I tried my wife's Chicken Tikka Masalla Balti and must say, the standard of this dish was superb. Not the usual glowing red and so rich it makes you wince... no... this was NOT too rich, good taste and contained a wide variety of spices that worked well.

The staff serve you reasonably well although they do push past you when laying items on the table (not good) and were slightly 'abrupt' which didn't go down too well as we were a large group spending a fair bit of money of a Monday evening — ANY restaurant will be very polite as they hope to regain the midweek trade (which we are unsure if we shall return on that fact alone).

We did not order sweets as the meals were filling. I was slightly disappointed that the chapatis were 'wholemeal' as it may be trendy to eat healthy - but there is a completely different taste to the items when using wholemeal - maybe 'ask' the customer which they would prefer?

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Usuzumiishi
welliesLondon, Owner at Masalla Indian Restaurant, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for the comments on the food, as for the service I am disappointed you have felt like this.You should have had a word with the manager on the day, I am sure it would have been sorted there and than. Please accept my apologies and I hope to see you again and give us a chance to redeem ourselves.

Braintree, United Kingdom
“Great food and service!”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I am a big fan of Indian food and have been to quite a few Indian restaurants but this is most certainly one of the best!! To start with, the service is second to none. They couldn't be more helpful. The waiters are more than happy to recommend dishes if you are unsure or if you just fancy trying something different! A must have is the naan breads! They are perfect!! Overall, this restaurant is a favourite of ours and we will continue to be customers for some time! See you again very soon Masalla!!

• Visited May 2013
Braintree, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is one of our favourite places to go on a couples night out. Really fabulous, reasonably priced Indian food. The service is great and after you have been there a couple of times they greet you like old friends. They can even accommodate my weird request of cooking without ghee and they do it with a smile and can't wait to go back soon.

• Visited March 2013
“Another fantastic meal”
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten at masalla for a few times now and I have to say the food and quality of the dishes, attentiveness of the staff is consistent throughout each visit.
I went with my kids and wife and had a fantastic meal. I would happily recommend this restaurant to all my friends and the good folk of Braintree

1 Thank Jeditesh
Lanzarote, Spain
“Great evening out”
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Firstly sorrty it has taken so long to write my review...
We had a fantastic evening here there was nine of us in the party.
All of our food was fantastic and was excellent. Value for mobey the staff were very friendly and really helpfull a few members of the party are die hard curry experts ( or so they think...) and the staff really hepled them with there choice of curry making it very hot and spicy leaving them very full and contented when we are next in Braintree i know where our first stop will be.

1 Thank Rainbow_32187477