“Perfect Getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wych Cross
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Ashdown Park Hotel was everything that we were hoping for. Fantastic room to hideaway in. Good food, excellent spa facilities and attentive staff who made us feel very special. We could not recommend the hotel highly enough and look forward to exploring the other hotels in the group.

Room Tip: We stayed in a refurbished room, which had been done to a high standard (as they say on homes under...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Luton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

I chose this hotel because of its spa facilities, we did not stay overnight so I am only commenting on the facilities of the spa but including the hotel grounds and the service we received throughout our day there. This was a special treat for my brother so I booked a spa day and two treatments.The hotel is in beautiful surroundings with tennis courts, golf range and course, extensive grounds and of course the spa facilities. On arrival we went into the hotel reception which had a wonderful log fire and were directed to the Spa which was in a separate building, which had a swimming pool, gym and beauty facilities.

I had planned the day to start with a pilates session but were late on arrival. One of the staff showed us around and talked us through what we were to expect of our day. We were then given a choice of drinks and biscuits. Lockers were reserved for us with robes, towels and slippers, so we had a swim first while we waited for our treatments. Our treatment appointment was moved an hour to 12- 45 so we took advantage of the gym and steam and sauna rooms. My brother had a wonderful treatment "Vita man" and was completely out of it afterwards! We had a very pleasant lunch which we had chosen fom the menu earlier.

We lounged around and then decided to explore the grounds even though it was not the best of weathers. We asked for a map because there is a natural scentific garden within the grounds but unfortunately it was too muddy to get to. On a summers day it would be beautiful as there are plenty of picnic spots and grounds to explore. After this I had booked an Aqa class which we joined in with and throughly enjoyed.

All staff were very helpful and as the hotel has been recently refurbished we found nothing to complain about. Treatments were on the expensive side but we received 20% off. recommend that you look out for special offers. I was a little disappointed that when I rang to book I had just missed March's special, which is why I chose that hotel (we went on April 3) and asked if they could extend it but that request was refused.

Enjoyed the spa experience and would certainly go again.

Room Tip: didnt stay only used spa facilities
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here twice in the last year or so, for both of our most recent wedding anniversaries. It's a lovely place and we really enjoyed eating in the posh restaurant. However, whilst it's one of the better hotels in the area, on both occasions they failed to deliver exactly what we had booked and therefore we might have to go somewhere else next year! The first time we went we had a package that included a cream tea. As they had run out of room in the main hotel, they explained that we would be having this in the country club sports bar (not the best place for an afternoon tea!). To be fair, when we complained to manager gave us a complimentary bottle of wine, which went some way to compensate. For our second visit, when we arrived they told us we'd been upgraded. 'Great', we thought! However, it turned out that the upgrade was a ground floor room in the country club building and whilst it was a bigger room, it was not quite the same as the Parkland View room in the main house which we had booked (and stayed in before). We promptly asked for the original room we booked and were told that they would see if they had availability. Apparently they had to move things around a bit to accommodate this, and I was left with the distinct impression that it had in fact not been an upgrade at all - but more of an attempt to manage their own needs with allocation of rooms. To end on a positive note, the staff at the bar and restaurant were particularly good and the food was great too! So, all in all, we'd probably still recommend this hotel - but would suggest that you don't take any nonsense from them if you find that you don't get what's expected!!

• Stayed March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank GG-Steve
Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I went to the Ashdown Park Hotel for our anniversary, for Afternoon Tea.
I have been there once before with a friend and on both occasions it was excellent. I am vegetarian and informed the Hotel when booking. This was no problem and the sandwiches were delicious. There is so much food, with scones and cakes that you cannot eat it all. You are given a "doggy bag" to take the cakes home. My only comment would be that if you want a glass of Champagne, then order as the Champagne Afternoon Tea, not by the glass as we did. Two glasses of Champagne cost £29.00, but it was a very nice Champagne! Had the weather been better, it would have been nice to go for a walk around the extensive grounds. I would defintely recommend the Ashdown Park Hotel for Afternnon Tea.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank K N
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

First of all, I have to admit a certain bias towards the hotel as we were upgraded on arrival and this made our package excellent value. The hotel and its grounds are enormous so it is an ideal venue for children and adults alike. The former are well catered for but, if you are childless/childfree adults do not let this put you off as the childrens' facilities are unobtrusive. We were certainly unaware of their presence and it was Easter weekend (complete with Easter bunny!)

The rooms contain all that you would expect of a hotel of this rating, although it does help if you like chintz; to be fair this is in character with the age of the hotel. There are plenty of lounges in which to relax although the fires are in desperate need of a clean. The drawing room was 'smoked out' while we were there and this resulted in all our clothes smelling like a bonfire. If you are asthmatic, this may be a problem. Overall, I cannot add any more to that which has already been written about the rooms and public areas.

The leisure facilities are good and were never overcrowded, even on a bank holiday weekend. The ambience of the pool and jacuzzi is very pleasant, be prepared for low lighting and a relaxing mood. The pool is away from the hotel so you do have a short walk for which a coat is necessary and, in this weather, it is not advisable to rely on a bath robe.

My only real gripe is the cost of the food and the lack of variety in the lounge menu. The food on offer did not vary whilst we were there and the 'special' desert was the same every night! The service, however, was excellent. Staff were unfailingly polite and well presented. There are plenty of pubs/restaurants in the local area which may be worth researching before making a visit, particularly if you wish to keep costs down. If you don't, then the restaurant is of a high standard.

In summary, this is a hotel worth visiting for a special treat as well as a relaxing weekend, especially if you can avail yourself of one of their special offers. Rooms with a parkland view are worth the extra. If historic buildings and log fires are your thing, then book it!

Room Tip: Parkland view rooms have extensive, unobstructed, views
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We celebrated our daughter's 30th birthday with a family party of 11 and were comfortably seated in a warm lounge with views down to the lake. On booking I had asked for the special dietary requirements of several of our guests to be catered for and this was done most efficiently. There was a good choice of sandwiches, more scones and cakes than we could eat and a wide choice of teas as well as coffee and soft drinks. We had ordered a chocolate birthday cake, which was brought in with due ceremony and was beautifully decorated with fresh fruit. The staff were friendly, attentive and looked after us very well. Without being asked, they boxed up the food we couldn't manage so that our daughter was able to take it home to share with friends. A most enjoyable afternoon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
County Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have come to love stately homes and castles, and at every opportunity I choose to stay in one, even making the destination the event of the break or holiday. I have long since overcome my resentment of what the Manor House symbolised in my home place where one Robert Tilson Dean, Lord Muskerry of Springfield Castle frequently indulged in the despicable practice of that he saw as his prerogative to exert 'his right' of 'the first night' from those who wed among his tenant farmers.

My visit to Ashdown Park Hotel was one I had looked forward to for some time having sensibly booked flights well in advance to avail of the best price. The reviews I read augured well for a special experience and indeed that is what it became. The place exudes classic charm and elegance. Not just the architecture or the setting but the composite of a lovely place with creature comforts to be indulged, whether spa, bar, dining room, golf or walking the grounds.

Once you enter the foyer the scent of timber fires wafts about the warm air and appeals to an inner sense or homeliness. Adjoining are two drawing rooms with open fires each emitting wonderful essences of differing timbers.

Ashdown Forest was a personal indulgence of a Norman overlord who planted it for hunting for the nobility. It later became a hunting and playground in many senses for Henry VIII. It is appropriate that it is now a public space and a special area of conservation for you and me to indulge ourselves. The grounds of Ashdown Park include a lake with water features and even a secret garden that inspires moments of solitary thought.

This magnificent building was erected by MP Thomas Charles Thompson in 1867 when he demolished an earlier house from 1815 and built this dramatic limestone and red sandstone Victorian Gothic mansion. His building forms the centerpiece of an entire complex of wings later added by new owners and it forms the hub of the Hotel.

However it is not The Hon. Mr. Thompson or GKT Fisher or the corporate functionaries of Barclay's International who were to leave their mark on the story of Ashdown Park but an order of nuns; the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur who owned the estate for fifty years? It is in what would have been their cloister that I had the pleasure of being accommodated.

I say pleasure as I recently stayed in what had been a nineteenth century asylum and found myself in a modern hotel. When I read reviews later I found complaints of long corridors and small rooms. That is exactly where I wanted to stay not in a box within a box. If you don't like centuries of history, period houses and the odd squeaky floorboard then go find yourself a Radisson.

In the building that evolved into the structures of Ashdown Park there is a labyrinth of corridors. We stayed in the East Wing, the former cloister, and everywhere, if one looked, you could relate to the spartan existence that these nuns must have subjected themselves to. Many windows had opaque glass lest the sisters were distracted by the idyllic setting that you and I can now revel in. I must mention that stained glass abounds in Ashdown Park and am pleased to note that they were created by the world renowned Irish stained glass artist Harry Clarke. A discerning owner was this order of nuns.

My room was spacious with a bathroom of equal proportion. The four poster bed was made for dreaming pleasant dreams. My room had three large radiators of which I had to turn off two as it was too warm for my liking. One could only imagine the cost of heating such a huge building with single glazed leaded windows. But then it is a protected structure.

If you have stayed with me this far in this review you may wonder if I am ever going to review the hotel! Well I have been in increments but it is time to address the restaurant and other aspects of the hotel. This is a four star hotel and is comfortable within the rating, being to my mind at the upper end of the grade and even due the additional star. While class and elegance abounds there is no hint of stuffiness or formality though I have noted some TA reviewers being a bit sniffy about being asked to wear dinner jackets to the restaurant. My advice remains the same, go and finds yourself a Radisson or somewhere you feel comfortable when you dress up…… in your Man U top and denim trousers!

I looked up the word Anderida when I learned it was the restaurant in which I was to dine. Derived from Latin it loosely translates to a 'hunting place' which is a well considered name for the restaurant. First we went for some cocktails in the bar and then were called to our table. Here is where the staff really shone. Not just the kitchen but the front of house staff as well. Philippe is head waiter and as his name suggest he is French. He exudes charm and invested as much time in us as we needed to make our choices. The kitchen produced a spectacular meal with Philippe showing much dexterity as he boned my wife’s fish at the table.

As we checked out we were asked by a friendly member of management if we enjoyed our stay. Being a man of few words as you can tell I said 'we did'!! Those with patience who read my reviews will know that I have a thing about breakfast and repeatedly state in reviews that the best breakfast that I ever had was Dromoland Castle, where on going to bed I looked forward to the morning's new breakfast experience. Should have told him that Ashdown Park came a close second!!

Room Tip: See if you can get the room that Tom Cruise uses. It will get you bragging rights at least.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,191 reviews
The Roebuck Hotel
The Roebuck Hotel
#1 of 2 in Forest Row

Been to Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!