“A good meal but the live music was WAY TOO LOUD!!”
Review of The Old Vine

The Old Vine
Ranked #2 of 11 Restaurants in Wadhurst
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Great little country pub near Bewl Water / Tunbridge Wells, Wadhurst
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Really enjoyed the food, service was good, very friendly helpful staff who coped fantastically well on a very busy evening. However we were surprised to find there was live music and it was WAY TOO LOUD!! Certainly too intrusive for a restaurant, it was literally.impossible to carry on a conversation with the person sitting next to me at the table and we were sitting a long way from the band. Don't get me wrong I love music and particulaly appreciate live music, but in a restaurant it needs to be of a level that allows diners to comfortably carry on a conversation. We wanted an evening to catch up with friends we hadn't seen for a long time, as it was we either had to yell at each other or sit in silence and eat. Lucklily the food was tasty enough to ensure we enjoyed the eating.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Other reviews stating 'Awful' and 'consistantly disappointing' are talking rubbish and probably from grumpy individuals who want something for nothing.This is a fantastic old world pub/restaurant, run by Gill & Mathew to the highest of standards. Food sourced localy, great value and good food portions for all bar snacks and restaurant dining. Probably one of the best estabishments to be found in the South East of England

Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the pub over night after meeting up with our friends there . The room was lovely and clean and warm . The food was fantastic . The owners were so friendly . We will be eating there a lot more . All 5****

Reviewed November 3, 2012

For about the fourth time at this pub me an my local mates have met up for lunch. It's always a bit of a special event as we all skive off work to do this once every few months. We keep trying The Old Vine because it's location is the most convenient and we all remember it's good old days.
This time I feel compelled to write a review as I'm just fed up with paying good money on very disappointing food. Firstly before I knock the food I want to say that the staff are very helpful, cheerful and the manager (owner?) is charming. I ordered the beer battered fish and chips for £11.95, big mistake. When it arrived it was huge, no problem there but it was the soggiest piece of fish I have ever tastest, as for the batter it was like eating a wet flannel, yuk! The fish was placed on the chips which as a consequence became soggy as well. All my friends were equally disappoined by their food except the one who had the fish pie which was apparently pretty good.
I don't like writing reviews like this but this place just seems a bit sloppy, go on the website and it hasn't been updated for over a year and a half and still says "under construction" (it refers to upcoming events like Mothers Day, March 2011! This is just lazy, I truly hope it improves soon.

4  Thank Gnasher10
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I went here a few months ago and although it was just to meet a friend and have a few drinks I saw the food being served up and it looked rather nice! It's a lovely area and a lovely old place. the atmosphere was relaxed and very welcoming and the staff are very friendly too. I canrecommend the place:)