“Amazing food! ”

The Cherry Tree
Cuisines: Seafood, British, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: A delightfully light and open family run, charming country pub nestled in the little village of Ticehurst, with a fantastic south facing British garden and a great range of local beers and authentic wines coupled with a delicious, fresh and homemade menu and our wood fired pizza oven - the Cherry Tree is a wonderful place to treat yourself, your friends and family.
Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

We had the set menu for £20 and I had the duck liver pate to start and the pork belly for a main and it was truly delicious!
This was the best pork belly that I have ever eaten- it was absolutely wonderful.
Great value, great staff and the manager was so lovely! He recommended all of these different gins for us to try and we did end up spending a lot on gin but it was so good and we had a lovely time.
Thank you!

3  Thank Amy J
There are newer reviews for The Cherry Tree

Reviewed August 8, 2014

I was really looking forward to eating here after such good reviews on TA and also a long conversation with the owner when I made the booking to take friends along for a good night out.
I was hoping to find a local venue that we could visit every couple of weeks.

It was moderately busy when we turned up on the sunny Saturday evening in question, in June. Luckily it wasn't full because despite the booking conversation there was apparently no record of our reservation for four.
After a bit of confusion a table was found but it was undressed and in a corner where it didn't feel like it had any connection to the venue or any ambiance at all really, which was a shame. It seemed we could have just walked in off the street on spec, or we could just as easily been sat at home in our kitchen Perhaps this coloured my opinion of our visit.

I would say that the Cherry Tree is currently firmly in the local pub rather than the gastro pub category. My husband's brisket burger was extremely dry and he struggled to eat it. It's not a dish I'd replicate at all, there were no accompaniments that eased its progress and the food generally was not any more special than we cook at home, so despite our desire to find a really good local restaurant to return to regularly, I don't think we'll be back any time soon and I'm disappointed to think that. We didn't complain however, because on a night out with friends when there's nothing absolutely wrong that the restaurant can correct, to complain spoils your evening more than just biting your lip - so I'm not criticizing management on that, just commenting on how it was.

In fairness, looking around other patrons seemed satisfied. I think perhaps I'd rather built up the restaurant in my mind and it failed to deliver to my own personal expectations. It's been refurbished nicely (didn't check out the loos though) and has a good outside garden space, but I really do feel they need to up their game a notch or two so that they deliver on menu/cost expectations and the impression given by the (lovely) website. The pricing is a bit odd actually, with a cheese plate equating to central London restaurant prices - maybe the management could look at the pricing more carefully, we felt we'd paid a restaurant price but eaten in a pub that you'd pop in on the off chance.

In conclusion, nice enough, trying hard, definitely a potential gem for the area, but just not quite on the money for me hence, the review title and no further visit. I wouldn't normally be so negative, there is no malice intended, and hopefully my criticism is deemed constructive as I would like to see this venue do well.

4  Thank MrandMrsSussex
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We have now eaten at the Cherry Tree pub 3 times and loved it every visit. Coming regulary from London to see family, it is a delightful addition to our trip. The pub is beautifully decorated and the outside space, especially in this recent good weather, is great. It is clean, well managed and maintianed. It is a family run pub with two sons in charge of the kitchen. The food is cooked to an amazingly high standard for a pub, much more like a Michelin star restaurant, with lots of variety and great puddings, but it also does basics such as great chips and home made tomato sauce which is perfect for our 12 year old son! Open for lunch and dinner I would recommend to anyone for a countryside treat.

1  Thank LisDavies
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Last night, we had a fabulous evening at The Cherry Tree in Ticehurst, East Sussex. Great selection of wines, superb service delivered with a smile & amazing food. This really is a gem of a find. Congratulations to the highly skilled chef & all the other staff that made our evening so enjoyable. Many thanks, we'll be back!

3  Thank Hek45
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We had an excellent meal on a Tuesday evening, which was presumably not an ultra-busy night, although the restaurant was nearly full. If service was not fast, as mentioned by others, the food was worth waiting for. I would suggest that the service was not at all at fault, but that well prepared meals, cooked from scratch, simply take longer. That said, we were in no rush and the courses arrived with a comfortable pause in between. Scallops were excellent as were the vegetables that accompanied all the courses. For us the servings were generous enough but you leave nothing behind, ending each course with the feeling that you could eat just another mouthful, for the taste. Coffee, a bit weak to my taste, can be improved. The area has many competent run-of-the-mill restaurants. The Cherry Tree Inn offers that something extra in refined taste.

2  Thank Philip1946